Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Rich Gannon article on Vikings vs. Bears

This is an article by Rich Gannon from the ABC Station 5 KSTP, Minneapolis website. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S11075.html?cat=1

=============================================

In my opinion, the Bears made several poor personnel decisions this past off-season. The biggest and most painful one was not signing a top veteran back-up quarterback. If you think you are a playoff caliber football team, why not go ahead and spend the money? Besides, Rex Grossman hasn’t exactly shown he has the ability to stay healthy enough to make it through a single game let alone a season.

The other snafu was not signing a top-notch receiver to compliment Mushin Muhammad. Last season Muhammad caught 93 passes for 1405 yards and 16 TDs. No other Bears receiver has that many catches, yards or TDs in his career. These two decisions alone will keep the Bears out of the playoffs again this year.

Offensively, the Bears can and will run the ball. They have 3 running backs (Jones, Benson and Peterson) that can all carry the load and have the toughness and durability to be thousand yard rushers in this league. Behind Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz, they have an offensive line that is built for the run. They are big and strong and get good push in the running game. The Vikings defensive line will be tested by this group who will be stubborn in their efforts to run the ball.

The Vikes need to find a way to stop the run and make rookie quarterback Kyle Orton beat you with his arm. Put the game in his hands and force him to make decisions at critical times. This is usually too much to ask from a young rookie quarterback.

Defensively, the Bears are strong up front. I believe the strength of this defense is right down the middle. Defensive tackle Tommy Harris is the real deal and middle linebacker Brian Urlacher makes annual trips to Hawaii every year for the Pro Bowl (for a reason). He is one of the best linebackers in the league because he is able to run sideline to sideline and he leads the team in tackles every year.

The Bears will also bring Urlacher on timely blitzes in their base and 5¢ packages. He can be disruptive, so Daunte Culpepper will have to be aware of where he lines up at all times. If there is a weakness on this Bears defense it would be their secondary. I believe their corners are suspect and safety Mike Brown appears to have slowed down some after numerous injuries.

Hopefully the Vikings used the bye week to go back and break down the first month of their season. I imagine they did an extensive self scout and looked at all of the film cut-ups of areas where they need to be better. I hope there is enough toughness and veteran leadership in that locker room to pull through this difficult period. Believe me, no one in Chicago is going to feel sorry for the Vikings or take it easy on them when the whistle blows on Sunday.

==============================================

Now that all the "experts" have decided that Mike Tice's first name is 'Embattled', I personally would like to see him turn this team around with a solid, convincing win against the Bears. Even still, the "experts" will still say it was against only the Bears, but, it would be a rallying point from which the team could build. Culpepper needs to get his act together quickly, stop making bad decisions, throwing interceptions and fumbling, and be the leader people were expecting him to be. I think he can, and will. Once Loney only has the OL to worry about, the line will stabilize, the run game will blossom, and C-Pep will get his protection. The real question mark is the much-vaunted defense. Will they learn to coordinate and gel as a unit? That will determine how our team will fare this season. Defense wins championships.

SKOL, Vikes!
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Rich Gannon article on Vikings vs. Bears

If Cotrell doesnt blitz the heck outta orton, hes a fool. orton is prone to committ turnovers when under pressure. i would imagine if orton looks like an all pro against us, cotrell can kiss his a$$ good bye. there is way too much talent on our dee to allow the bears to score more than 10 points on offense. of course it seems that urlacher has the game of his life against the vikes in chicago every year. daunte will need to make quick reads and get rid of the ball.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

teddy wont blitz...he'll prolley put ralph brown on Mushin as well...cuz he is a idoit.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"Culpepper needs to get his act together quickly, stop making bad decisions, throwing interceptions and fumbling, and be the leader people were expecting him to be. I think he can, and will."

That was a nice article and I liked his quote about Daunte. Hopefully Daunte will step up this week and show us what he's made of, show us the Daunte of 2004.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Skyliner is offline Rookie

Pep needs to play safe ball against the bears. No need to try toss the ball for four hundred yards, the bears are too good of a defense to pull that on. i dont want to see pep try to make something happen when he doesn't have to and have the bears get the ball with a short field. Just protect the ball wait for the wide out to get open. You dont have to score on every pocession to win.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Skyliner" wrote:
    Pep needs to play safe ball against the bears. No need to try toss the ball for four hundred yards, the bears are too good of a defense to pull that on. i dont want to see pep try to make something happen when he doesn't have to and have the bears get the ball with a short field. Just protect the ball wait for the wide out to get open. You dont have to score on every pocession to win.
    Protect the Ball and Play D!!

I always liked Gannon, he is a stand up guy, good article.