Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rice has chance to excel for Vikings

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I actually got the same implication as Marrdro... but I actually agree with it.
    I think a LOT of Williamson's problems are mental.
    That is one of the reasons he can catch everything in practice and nothing in a game.
    IMHO, I think that many of his mental problems come from being thrust into the #1 WR position in his second year - even though he saw very little action during his rookie campaign.
    If I had to pick something to criticize Childress about, it would be his predisposition to starting young players before they are ready.

Now before people go out and start claiming that he was forced into it with Williamson (thanks KoRo), that is beside the point.
    We still had other WRs on the team who could have shouldered the load without putting undo pressure on Williamson.

Not that I think Childress is solely to blame.
    I think Williamson had a fragile confidence to begin with.
    Other WRs could have survived and even thrived int eh environment that Childress put them in.
    But I think that Childress deserves some of the blame.
    Wow, nice point of view but I simply can't agree. The guy was drafted 7th. 7th! Peterson was drafted 7th. When you get drafted that high you are supposed to come out ready to start, and produce. The team made a significant financial investment for him as well. Childress came here after Williamson, and expected to have a primary threat at WR, who performed well in practice but simply cracked under pressure.

Also, by other receivers do you mean Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson? Billy McMullen? When Troy started to bust our whole WR corps was screwed. How can you bench a guy taken that high for several years, especially when there is garbage in front of him? The fans wouldn't stand for that. Neither would the QB, the GM, or even the owner. This guy was supposed to be the face of our franchise. You couldn't buy his jersey in August of 2006 at any Vikings store. They were sold out! Hell. If I got drafted 7th overall, and I'm having good practices, I'm DEMANDING playing time!

I don't think you can blame Childress at all. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He played Williamson because he had nothing else, and even if there were other options, Williamson should have been the best option.
    I tend to agree with V in this case.
    Many WRs become a 1st WR in their 2nd years.
    I will admit that as a HC you have to take into account a person's mental state of mind.
    However, this kid was taken 7th overall and is making good money.
    Look at TJ.
    He was thrusted into a starting role as a 2nd round draft pick in his second year.
    Although he made his share of mistakes his role is much more that that of a WRs role.
    As a WR you have to learn to run good routes, find a way to get open, get on rythem with your QB and catch the gol 'darnit ball.
    As a QB you have much more to learn and more people get into a rythem with.

My opinion on Williamson is he didn't cut it.
    Whether he was a 1st round pick or a free agent he didn't make the grade.
    Other WRs that are picked in the 2nd round or further down get bigger roles in an offense.
    Maybe he will do well in JAX, maybe he won't.
    I think we all agree he didn't do well here.
    Chiller cannot teach someone how to catch when in game situations.
    He practiced the young man.
    He did well in practice.
    He just couldn't do the job when on the field.
    Yes, look at TJ.
    I think that is a wonderful example.
    IMHO, TJack (and the Vikings) would have benefited more from sitting in the #2 spot last year and bringing in a decent vet for the year.
    Tjack was originally picked to be a three year project.
    When a QB is put in too early, they tend to develop bad habits to compensate for lack of skill.
    Right now we are hoping that didn't happen to TJack, but his propensity for his mechanics to completely break down when he is under pressure worries me.

I agree that Williamson was drafted too high and couldn't cut it.
    But throwing him into the pressure cooker too early eliminated any chance, however slight, of him being successful in Minnesota.
    I don't think the TJ example really applies here. TJ was drafted to be a project while Williamson was drafted to be a starter from day one.

From a coach's perspective: whether you thrust him into the starting role and watch him fail on the field, or concede to the fact that your 1st round pick is deservedly being benched in favor of two aging vets, doesn't matter. Both scenarios involve a player who is a BUST.

I doubt that treating Williamson like a project would have changed anything. I also doubt he'll be successful in Jacksonville.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    That is one of the reasons he can catch everything in practice and nothing in a game.
    IMHO, I think that many of his mental problems come from being thrust into the #1 WR position in his second year - even though he saw very little action during his rookie campaign.
    If I had to pick something to criticize Childress about, it would be his predisposition to starting young players before they are ready.

Now before people go out and start claiming that he was forced into it with Williamson (thanks KoRo), that is beside the point.
    We still had other WRs on the team who could have shouldered the load without putting undo pressure on Williamson.

Other WRs could have survived and even thrived int eh environment that Childress put them in.
    Wow, nice point of view but I simply can't agree. The guy was drafted 7th. 7th! Peterson was drafted 7th. When you get drafted that high you are supposed to come out ready to start, and produce. The team made a significant financial investment for him as well. Childress came here after Williamson, and expected to have a primary threat at WR, who performed well in practice but simply cracked under pressure.

Also, by other receivers do you mean Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson? Billy McMullen? When Troy started to bust our whole WR corps was screwed. How can you bench a guy taken that high for several years, especially when there is garbage in front of him? The fans wouldn't stand for that. Neither would the QB, the GM, or even the owner. This guy was supposed to be the face of our franchise. You couldn't buy his jersey in August of 2006 at any Vikings store. They were sold out! Hell. If I got drafted 7th overall, and I'm having good practices, I'm DEMANDING playing time!

I don't think you can blame Childress at all. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He played Williamson because he had nothing else, and even if there were other options, Williamson should have been the best option.
    I will admit that as a HC you have to take into account a person's mental state of mind.
    Look at TJ.
    He was thrusted into a starting role as a 2nd round draft pick in his second year.
    Although he made his share of mistakes his role is much more that that of a WRs role.
    As a WR you have to learn to run good routes, find a way to get open, get on rythem with your QB and catch the gol 'darnit ball.

Other WRs that are picked in the 2nd round or further down get bigger roles in an offense.
    He did well in practice.
    Yes, look at TJ.
    IMHO, TJack (and the Vikings) would have benefited more from sitting in the #2 spot last year and bringing in a decent vet for the year.
    When a QB is put in too early, they tend to develop bad habits to compensate for lack of skill.
    Right now we are hoping that didn't happen to TJack, but his propensity for his mechanics to completely break down when he is under pressure worries me.

But throwing him into the pressure cooker too early eliminated any chance, however slight, of him being successful in Minnesota.
    I don't think the TJ example really applies here. TJ was drafted to be a project while Williamson was drafted to be a starter from day one.

From a coach's perspective: whether you thrust him into the starting role and watch him fail on the field, or concede to the fact that your 1st round pick is deservedly being benched in favor of two aging vets, doesn't matter. Both scenarios involve a player who is a BUST.

I doubt that treating Williamson like a project would have changed anything. I also doubt he'll be successful in Jacksonville.
    Williamson's problem is pretty simple actually.
    He doesn't catch with his hands...he uses his arms and body to catch (or miss, in his case) most of the balls thrown to him.
    I never want to see the Vikings ever draft another WR who doesn't use his hands to catch most of the balls thrown to him.
    Rice, on the other hand (no pun intended), reaches out and grabs the balls thrown to him.
    Rice will be the #1 WR that Williamson never was.
    The Williamson bust will be but a distant memory once Rice starts showing what he can do on a regular basis.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Look at TJ.

He did well in practice.
    Yes, look at TJ.

I think everyone is missing my point when comparing Williamson to TJ.
    Maybe I didn't communicate it well.
    My point is that no one is making excuses for TJ while everyone is trying to blame others because Williamson can't catch the ball.
    Fact is at this time it isn't determined whether or not TJ is a bust.
    However, Williamson on the other hand is a bust no matter how you cut it.
    As a #7 pick overall, three years is enough to get your heaed out of your ass and become a productive NFL player.
    Williamson didn't do that.
    Being thrusted into the #1 WR in your second year is no excuse.
    That would tell me, okay you make some mistakes in that year but by the next year you learn from them.
    A good NFL player would take advantage of that situation instead of making excuses.
    His coach cannot teach him how to catch if he can't do it by now.
    Williamson has difficulty catching the football.
    At this time in his NFL career as a WR he should know how to do that.
    I don't care when he was picked in the draft and what # WR you are on a team.
    You have to be sound mentally to be in the NFL.
    Willaimson didn't prove he can be mentally sound.
    After three years that is a problem.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=45981.msg797459#msg797459 date=1214833214]

Look at TJ.

He did well in practice.
    Yes, look at TJ.

My point is that no one is making excuses for TJ while everyone is trying to blame others because Williamson can't catch the ball.
    As a #7 pick overall, three years is enough to get your heaed out of your jiggly butt and become a productive NFL player.
    That would tell me, okay you make some mistakes in that year but by the next year you learn from them.
    A good NFL player would take advantage of that situation instead of making excuses.
    [/quote]

Obviously after three years Williamson is a huge bust.
    I never blamed Childress solely for Williamson's issues.
    But I do think that he contributed to them.
    I also think that Childress deserves some of the blame for any bad habits that TJack picks up.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=45981.msg797466#msg797466 date=1214834300]
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=45981.msg797459#msg797459 date=1214833214]

Look at TJ.

He did well in practice.
    Yes, look at TJ.

As a #7 pick overall, three years is enough to get your heaed out of your jiggly butt and become a productive NFL player.
    [/quote]

Obviously after three years Williamson is a huge bust.
    I never blamed Childress solely for Williamson's issues.
    But I do think that he contributed to them.
    I also think that Childress deserves some of the blame for any bad habits that TJack picks up.
    [/quote]

I don't think anyone is saying you solely blame Childress, but to blame him at all is a bit critical. What could Childress possibly have done differently? Sitting a high-profile guy like that on the bench simply would not have flown.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read my friend.

It would be easy to rip on the old regime in town for taking a guy who simply couldn't catch the football to replace the generation's best receiver, Randy Moss. But Williamson actually had decent hands when he arrived in Minnesota and got progressively worse as his fragile mental makeup took over.
    I get it now, its the Chillers fault he couldn't catch the damn thing.

:
    Maybe it is like some QBs. Sometimes players are just not built for the NFL. They might be good in college but the pros is a different animal.

Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    I don't think anyone is saying you solely blame Childress, but to blame him at all is a bit critical. What could Childress possibly have done differently? Sitting a high-profile guy like that on the bench simply would not have flown.
    High profile my butt.
    He had barely seen any time his rookie year, and had only 24 catches.
    It was generally accepted that he went too high in the draft.
    I expect a head coach to base his decision on whether or not to start a WR on more than his draft selection - especially when the playuer was drafted under a previous regime.

I would have rather gone into the season with Taylor at #1 and M Rob at #2.
    Leave TWill at #3 where the pressure to perform isn't there.
    And before people start to say that there is no real #1 in the WCO - I know.
    But the 3rd and 4th WRs don't line up every down like the #1 and #2.
    Instead, TWill is thrust into the starting role, and from game 1 he struggles.
    Eventually he is pulled from the starting spot that he never should have had to begin with, but his confidence is already shattered.

Would he still have been a bust?
    Probably.
    But he would have had a better chance, IMHO, if he wasn't starting his second year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    But the 3rd and 4th WRs don't line up every down like the #1 and #2..........
    Damn, I wanted to get on that soap box again today..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    High profile my butt.
    I expect a head coach to base his decision on whether or not to start a WR on more than his draft selection - especially when the playuer was drafted under a previous regime.

Eventually he is pulled from the starting spot that he never should have had to begin with, but his confidence is already shattered.

Probably.
    But he would have had a better chance, IMHO, if he wasn't starting his second year.
    Troy Williamson was high profile, drafted to replace a legend, Troy had elite NFL Speed that could make him one of the best WR's in NFL. Troy was definitly needed and expected to be an impact player in his second year, no doubt. I was exited to get him on the field full time as I had seen brilliance in his early play with Daunte. I would say that Troy has good hands but has mental lapses preventing him from displaying those good hands all the time. He made some great grabs for us and did so in college.

Using Troy as a #3 would be a mistake IMO, Troy had the type of speed that was very difficult to defend, infact I cannot recall a time when a defender was able to cover Troy, he consistently got open and did the right things but failed to make the clutch plays. Granted he should not have been drafted that high he had the potential of a first round draft pick. He was expected to perform and he let the Viking nation down. No ifs ands or buts, Williamson was responsible for his play and didn't live up to expectations. Its nobobies fault but HIS. Childress did his best to help the kid and that didn't even work, putting any blame on anyone but Troy is a mistake.

Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    High profile my butt.

Probably.
    Troy Williamson was high profile, drafted to replace a legend, Troy had elite NFL Speed that could make him one of the best WR's in NFL. Troy was definitly needed and expected to be an impact player in his second year, no doubt. I was exited to get him on the field full time as I had seen brilliance in his early play with Daunte. I would say that Troy has good hands but has mental lapses preventing him from displaying those good hands all the time. He made some great grabs for us and did so in college.

Using Troy as a #3 would be a mistake IMO, Troy had the type of speed that was very difficult to defend, infact I cannot recall a time when a defender was able to cover Troy, he consistently got open and did the right things but failed to make the clutch plays. Granted he should not have been drafted that high he had the potential of a first round draft pick. He was expected to perform and he let the Viking nation down. No ifs ands or buts, Williamson was responsible for his play and didn't live up to expectations. Its nobobies fault but HIS. Childress did his best to help the kid and that didn't even work, putting any blame on anyone but Troy is a mistake.
    Troy was never drafted to replace Moss.
    The first mistake is thinking that.
    There was/is no rookie who could replace Moss.
    Just like Rodgers in GB won't be replacing Fav-re.
    If you expect him to, then you are only setting him up for failure.

I also don't think that it would have been a mistake for him to be the #3 receiver in any way.
    That doesn't mean that he has to line up in the slot - it means that he is only on the field where there is a three WR set.
    Let him continue to learn the game, especially now that the playbook is 100% different than the one he just struggled to learn under Tice.

Again, I put the majority of blame on TWill, but I think that Childress made several personnel mistakes in his first couple years as a head coach - and that was one of them.
    I don't think it is out of line to think that that mistake contributed to TWill's demise, although I acknowledge that I don't think anything could have prevented it.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast