Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rice has chance to excel for Vikings

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read my friend.

It would be easy to rip on the old regime in town for taking a guy who simply couldn't catch the football to replace the generation's best receiver, Randy Moss. But Williamson actually had decent hands when he arrived in Minnesota and got progressively worse as his fragile mental makeup took over.
    I get it now, its the Chillers fault he couldn't catch the gol 'darnit thing.

:
    I wouldn't let the Chiller take the hit for this one.
    He wasn't that great under Tice either.

At least he is someone elses problem now.
    We have what seems to be a pretty formidable WR group that can actually catch the rock.
    If TJ becomes poised and accurate I look for this offense to become a very balanced run / pass attack.
    Opposing defenses will have a tough time planning unless they try the old blitz on every play again.
    Then we will see exactly how matured TJ has become (if he really has).
    I know that my friend.
    Seems the author doesn't though and that is what brought out my sarcastic response.

;D
    See what happens when you try to be sarcastic?
    I knew you were being sarcastic.
    However there are some people around here that will attack your every word.
    DOn't ya love it?
    ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45981.msg797413#msg797413 date=1214826659]

It would be easy to rip on the old regime in town for taking a guy who simply couldn't catch the football to replace the generation's best receiver, Randy Moss. But Williamson actually had decent hands when he arrived in Minnesota and got progressively worse as his fragile mental makeup took over.

:
    LOL! How did you drag Childress' name out of that.

He simply stated it was a mental problem & all in his head that caused him to drop passes. Nothing different than many of us here stated.
    My apologies but that line brought out the sarcastic side of me.

I failed to put in the (Sarcasim alert) loophole again.
    Seems I suck at sarcasim as no one gets it unless I do.

;D
    Even if you were being sarcastic, the reference to Childress comes from nowhere.
    Well, possibly a reach, but from "Nowhere", I'm not so sure.
    He does mention the previous regime, says Williamson had decent hands, and then says he went to pooh.

A stretch yes, however, if one were to read between the lines (or words here) you could see a bit of the blamed laid at the current coaching staffs feet.
    When he mentions how Williamson got progressively worse, the only reason I see is "fragile mental makeup." Never does he shed bad light on the current regime in any way. He even writes as though Childress regretted having to bench Troy during the Denver game. I think you are twisting words, but lets just agree to disagree.
    [/quote]

I actually got the same implication as Marrdro... but I actually agree with it.
    I think a LOT of Williamson's problems are mental.
    That is one of the reasons he can catch everything in practice and nothing in a game.
    IMHO, I think that many of his mental problems come from being thrust into the #1 WR position in his second year - even though he saw very little action during his rookie campaign.
    If I had to pick something to criticize Childress about, it would be his predisposition to starting young players before they are ready.

Now before people go out and start claiming that he was forced into it with Williamson (thanks KoRo), that is beside the point.
    We still had other WRs on the team who could have shouldered the load without putting undo pressure on Williamson.

Not that I think Childress is solely to blame.
    I think Williamson had a fragile confidence to begin with.
    Other WRs could have survived and even thrived int eh environment that Childress put them in.
    But I think that Childress deserves some of the blame.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

:
    I wouldn't let the Chiller take the hit for this one.
    He wasn't that great under Tice either.

At least he is someone elses problem now.
    We have what seems to be a pretty formidable WR group that can actually catch the rock.
    If TJ becomes poised and accurate I look for this offense to become a very balanced run / pass attack.
    Opposing defenses will have a tough time planning unless they try the old blitz on every play again.
    Then we will see exactly how matured TJ has become (if he really has).
    I know that my friend.
    Seems the author doesn't though and that is what brought out my sarcastic response.

;D
    See what happens when you try to be sarcastic?
    I knew you were being sarcastic.
    However there are some people around here that will attack your every word.
    DOn't ya love it?

;D
    Yes I do.
    Thats why I hang out in these here parts....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

:

He simply stated it was a mental problem & all in his head that caused him to drop passes. Nothing different than many of us here stated.

;D
    Even if you were being sarcastic, the reference to Childress comes from nowhere.
    He does mention the previous regime, says Williamson had decent hands, and then says he went to pooh.

A stretch yes, however, if one were to read between the lines (or words here) you could see a bit of the blamed laid at the current coaching staffs feet.
    When he mentions how Williamson got progressively worse, the only reason I see is "fragile mental makeup." Never does he shed bad light on the current regime in any way. He even writes as though Childress regretted having to bench Troy during the Denver game. I think you are twisting words, but lets just agree to disagree.
    [/quote]
    If we ever actually agreed on anything I think the server would crash.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    That is one of the reasons he can catch everything in practice and nothing in a game.
    IMHO, I think that many of his mental problems come from being thrust into the #1 WR position in his second year - even though he saw very little action during his rookie campaign.
    If I had to pick something to criticize Childress about, it would be his predisposition to starting young players before they are ready.

Now before people go out and start claiming that he was forced into it with Williamson (thanks KoRo), that is beside the point.
    We still had other WRs on the team who could have shouldered the load without putting undo pressure on Williamson.

Other WRs could have survived and even thrived int eh environment that Childress put them in.
    Excellent post my friend, as usual.... ;D

Always a danger when one thrusts a rookie into a starting role.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    I have always been on the side of "Sometimes it doesn't" or atleast hated the idea of seeing them on the field in starting roles over a proven vet.

This coachings staff has lead me to rethink that position based on how the rooks/youngsters have performed especially with the optimism surrounding some of them for this year.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=45981.msg797422#msg797422 date=1214827599]

:

;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, nice point of view but I simply can't agree. The guy was drafted 7th. 7th! Peterson was drafted 7th. When you get drafted that high you are supposed to come out ready to start, and produce. The team made a significant financial investment for him as well. Childress came here after Williamson, and expected to have a primary threat at WR, who performed well in practice but simply cracked under pressure.

Also, by other receivers do you mean Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson? Billy McMullen? When Troy started to bust our whole WR corps was screwed. How can you bench a guy taken that high for several years, especially when there is garbage in front of him? The fans wouldn't stand for that. Neither would the QB, the GM, or even the owner. This guy was supposed to be the face of our franchise. You couldn't buy his jersey in August of 2006 at any Vikings store. They were sold out! Hell. If I got drafted 7th overall, and I'm having good practices, I'm DEMANDING playing time!

I don't think you can blame Childress at all. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He played Williamson because he had nothing else, and even if there were other options, Williamson should have been the best option.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45981.msg797430#msg797430 date=1214829613]
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=45981.msg797422#msg797422 date=1214827599]

:

;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow, nice point of view but I simply can't agree. The guy was drafted 7th. 7th! Peterson was drafted 7th. When you get drafted that high you are supposed to come out ready to start, and produce. The team made a significant financial investment for him as well. Childress came here after Williamson, and expected to have a primary threat at WR, who performed well in practice but simply cracked under pressure.

Also, by other receivers do you mean Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson? Billy McMullen? When Troy started to bust our whole WR corps was screwed. How can you bench a guy taken that high for several years, especially when there is garbage in front of him? The fans wouldn't stand for that. Neither would the QB, the GM, or even the owner. This guy was supposed to be the face of our franchise. You couldn't buy his jersey in August of 2006 at any Vikings store. They were sold out! Hell. If I got drafted 7th overall, and I'm having good practices, I'm DEMANDING playing time!

I don't think you can blame Childress at all. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He played Williamson because he had nothing else, and even if there were other options, Williamson should have been the best option.
    [/quote]

I tend to agree with V in this case.
    Many WRs become a 1st WR in their 2nd years.
    I will admit that as a HC you have to take into account a person's mental state of mind.
    However, this kid was taken 7th overall and is making good money.
    Look at TJ.
    He was thrusted into a starting role as a 2nd round draft pick in his second year.
    Although he made his share of mistakes his role is much more that that of a WRs role.
    As a WR you have to learn to run good routes, find a way to get open, get on rythem with your QB and catch the damn ball.
    As a QB you have much more to learn and more people get into a rythem with.

My opinion on Williamson is he didn't cut it.
    Whether he was a 1st round pick or a free agent he didn't make the grade.
    Other WRs that are picked in the 2nd round or further down get bigger roles in an offense.
    Maybe he will do well in JAX, maybe he won't.
    I think we all agree he didn't do well here.
    Chiller cannot teach someone how to catch when in game situations.
    He practiced the young man.
    He did well in practice.
    He just couldn't do the job when on the field.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I will admit that as a HC you have to take into account a person's mental state of mind.
    Look at TJ.
    He was thrusted into a starting role as a 2nd round draft pick in his second year.
    Although he made his share of mistakes his role is much more that that of a WRs role.
    As a WR you have to learn to run good routes, find a way to get open, get on rythem with your QB and catch the gol 'darnit ball.

Other WRs that are picked in the 2nd round or further down get bigger roles in an offense.
    He did well in practice.
    Yes, look at TJ.
    I think that is a wonderful example.
    IMHO, TJack (and the Vikings) would have benefited more from sitting in the #2 spot last year and bringing in a decent vet for the year.
    Tjack was originally picked to be a three year project.
    When a QB is put in too early, they tend to develop bad habits to compensate for lack of skill.
    Right now we are hoping that didn't happen to TJack, but his propensity for his mechanics to completely break down when he is under pressure worries me.

I agree that Williamson was drafted too high and couldn't cut it.
    But throwing him into the pressure cooker too early eliminated any chance, however slight, of him being successful in Minnesota.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Look at TJ.
    As a WR you have to learn to run good routes, find a way to get open, get on rythem with your QB and catch the gol 'darnit ball.

He did well in practice.
    Yes, look at TJ.
    I think that is a wonderful example.
    IMHO, TJack (and the Vikings) would have benefited more from sitting in the #2 spot last year and bringing in a decent vet for the year.
    Tjack was originally picked to be a three year project.
    When a QB is put in too early, they tend to develop bad habits to compensate for lack of skill.
    Right now we are hoping that didn't happen to TJack, but his propensity for his mechanics to completely break down when he is under pressure worries me.

I agree that Williamson was drafted too high and couldn't cut it.
    But throwing him into the pressure cooker too early eliminated any chance, however slight, of him being successful in Minnesota.
    I agree with that completely. But he should react to pressure better if he knows the offense better.
    Like was said earlier this off season, he is learning where every player is and what they are supposed to do on every play.
    He has been under seige with blitz packages and I expect that to continue. But I expect him to start recognizing, reacting to, and taking advantage of them.
    Experience will help with all of that.
    I am in the minority but actually believe Tarvaris will play better than Rogers this year.

Do we have to now put up with sarcastic Marrdro as well as good and bad Marrdro?
    He's developing more internet personalities than Hershel Walker !
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Do we have to now put up with sarcastic Marrdro as well as good and bad Marrdro?
    He's developing more internet personalities than Hershel Walker !
    LOL, I don't think so my friend.
    ;D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast