Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    I'm 100% against this. As a good friend of mine told me once, a good coach get's players that fit his schemes and doesn't change his schemes around his players.
    Perhaps your friend is wrong.

The GM gets the players & it's the coaches job to either best fit him into his scheme or change that scheme to cater to that players strengths. If the coach wastes those talents because he doesn't adjust the scheme to better utilize them, he's not a very good coach IMO.
    Yep. Except when said coach is part of a TOA with a Virgin owner who thinks a coach should have final say in the roster. Glad we don't operate under that type of system lol.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yep. Except when said coach is part of a TOA with a Virgin owner who thinks a coach should have final say in the roster. Glad we don't operate under that type of system lol.
    So what you're saying is up until the past 2 years, Marrdro's has been griping about the coach not having players to fit his scheme, when it was the same coach who drafted those players?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Perhaps your friend is wrong.

The GM gets the players & it's the coaches job to either best fit him into his scheme or change that scheme to cater to that players strengths. If the coach wastes those talents because he doesn't adjust the scheme to better utilize them, he's not a very good coach IMO.
    What in the name of all that is good in this world are you talking about?

If a GM drafts a player that doesn't fit the scheme he will get his ass fired. Just ask Foley.

One more time for possible penetration.....At the end of the year the coaching staff sits down with the GM and gives them a "Roster" assesment and lets them know what types of players they are looking for.

The GM then produces the players the scouts have on file (that they have been looking at all year) for the coaches to go over.

After that is done, they rank them and then the "Assessment" process starts that leads up to FA and eventually the draft.

At no time does the GM just start adding players because they are good and expect the coaches to change the scheme that the rest of the team is drafted/signed/brought in to fit.

To think otherwise is crazy talk. WOW.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

So what you're saying is up until the past 2 years, Marrdro's has been griping about the coach not having players to fit his scheme, when it was the same coach who drafted those players?
    Yet another statement that leaves me wondering if your the real Singersp. Our coach has never been in charge of the draft.

Hell, the whole screaming match between the Chiller and Foley was proof of that.

Spielman has always run the draft since he got here, just as Foley did. What changed was when/if he, Byrzcheapski and the HC couldn't agree on player/personal things the owner threw his vote in.

Another WOW.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I like Rhodes in that he really fits the scheme and he should allow us to be a bit more physical, but not because he is some sort of "Shut Down" corner or anything. If anything, his weakness is when he plays man to man.

When he gets caught up in a man to man scheme he tends to start using his hands and gets a bit to aggressive trying to overcome his shortfalls and winds up getting lots of penalties.

This cats forte is routing a man off the line in support of a C2 scheme and knows when to disengage and pass the guy off to the next guy in the zone.

Not sure who started that he was some sort of shut down corner but as our good friend Mars said, he is a perfect fit for the "Press Zone" that I still think we are trying to run since Leslie took over first under coach Pagac and now under coach Williams.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    What in the name of all that is good in this world are you talking about?

If a GM drafts a player that doesn't fit the scheme he will get his ass fired. Just ask Foley.
    Foley was never GM. Spielman is the first GM we've had since Mike Lynn. Foley was only here for a few months.

After being hired on Jan. 26, Foley was fired May 3, just days after the draft. The initial reason given was the Foley had embellished his resume...In the weeks and months that followed, word came out that Foley had been verbally abusive to the staff and was a very difficult person to work with and work for. He wasn’t exactly a “people person.” In the end, all he had to show for his brief time with the Vikings was the 2006 draft. With three years of hindsight as our guide, perhaps Foley wasn’t so bad after all.
    Scout.com: Foley finagled a bedrock draft

Childress had more authority than you think...

If you remember, Spielman came in after Brad Childress. Childress went through a draft with Fran Foley in 2006, so when Spielman arrived it was months after Childress was given the sheriff’s badge and sidearm and had already conducted a draft with “his guys.
    At the time Spielman arrived, Chilly had already monopolized a little bit of the authority in the team hierarchy.
    Scout.com: Vikings
    Last edited by singersp; 04-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Marty, but I am with Singer on this on. Spielman never had full control of the draft until last year. And it resulted in a train wreck of players who were in different camps depending on who brought them in.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Foley was never GM. Spielman is the first GM we've had since Mike Lynn. Foley was only here for a few months.

Scout.com: Foley finagled a bedrock draft

Childress had more authority than you think...

Scout.com: Vikings
    OK, semantics....VP of Player Personnel vice GM. In the end he still ran the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Sorry Marty, but I am with Singer on this on. Spielman never had full control of the draft until last year. And it resulted in a train wreck of players who were in different camps depending on who brought them in.
    I think the confusion is the racking and stacking of the players. He (Chiller) did have alot of say in that, like all coaches should, but Spielman ran the draft.

If there was a issue that came up were a player showed up they hadn't ranked, the Triad made a decision with the Owner as the tie breaker. But Spielman ran the draft.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    That 2006 draft doesn't look so good anymore...yes we got 6 starters for a while, but most of them failed to earn that status.

Back to the who's in control argument, Bah! I think its semantics. Yes, Spielman has the final say, but it is very much still a team game at his level too, with Fraizer, Woods, Studwell etc all having a big say in how the board gets ordered, the needs stacked and thus the picks selected. I'm pretty sure that if Frazier went to Spielman and said, "we've got to get this guy," and "bangedd the table," as Mayock says, that he would likely get his guy 8 or 9 times out of ten.

I love the Rhodes pick! I didn't see any shot at Milliner, but wanted a big physical guy to pair with Cook, and replace him as the no.1 should he get hurt, again. DJ Hayden still seems a risky pick to me, so I am happy as hell all those teams reached for OL and let XR slide to us!! Looks like at least one other team thought he deserved to go higher!

2013 NFL Draft: Buccaneers would have drafted Xavier Rhodes - Bucs Nation

The kid hits hard in the open field, looks to be a text-book tackler, and can run stride for stride with his guy, spot the ball, undercut the route and snag the interception. Like Floyd and Patterson, he is a top-notch, blue-chip prospect, and I think he has a good chance to improve our pass D for years to come. I've been asking for more man coverage mixed into our zone for years, and it looks like we've finally added the talent to head in that direction. SKOL!!!

Ultimate Xavier Rhodes Highlights | HD - YouTube
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast