Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

revised Viking history for the last 2 years

Texpack

Sorry; but I had to redo the last 2 years, I think this is a more accurate description of events.

2002: Mike Tice who coached the Vikings in their final game the previous season would take over as the full time Headcoach, but the talent pool was depleted on defense and the offense having to play a conservative style could not keep the Vikings ahead, as they drop their first 4 games blowing leads in the 4th quarter twice. The Vikings struggles would continue through-out most of the season as QB Daunte Culpepper struggled all season with turnovers, the Vikings entered the final 3 weeks of the season with a dreadful 3-10 record. However, the Vikings would finish the season on a strong note winning their final 3 games to post a 6-10 record, along the way the Vikings spoiled the playoff chances of the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins.

2003: The Vikings get off to a great start, with a stellar draft that will aid the Vikes for years to come, but a dark shadow looms as star runningback Michael Bennett who has been bothered by a foot injury will miss most of the season. Besides the loss of Bennett the Vikes start an impressive 6-0 and flying high, when the New York Giants come to town and the Vikes lose a close one to the dreaded Giants, after the game Vikings owner Red McCombs goes down to the locker room and tells the team that they embarrassed him! The Vikes never fully recover from being humiliated by McCombs and finish the season 9-7. The defense has shown some signs of improvement, but the season ends on a porous note as Arizona’s receiver Poole catches a pass with no time remaining on the clock Poole was covered poorly by Denard Walker (who will be cut after the season when he decides he isn’t good enough to compete for his job and asks to be released) and the Vikings lose 18-17. They had lead the division for the entire regular season’s regulation time, but miss the playoffs as the Greenbay Packers back into the playoff’s in the Vikings place.

2004: The Vikings look forward to a superb season as they have again had an outstanding draft and look poised to make a run for the Superbowl. :cheers: :P :thumbleft: :thumbright:
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I'd revise your 2003 history somewhat.

I don't attribute the midseason collapse to the Combs berating. Chris Claiborne tried to play with an injured heel, which severely limited his speed. Combined with a lack of speed at the other two LB spots, teams exploited the outside run and passes over the middle to rack up big points against the Vikings. Late in the season, coaches decided to play some of their younger LBs to get some speed in the lineup, especially on 3rd down, and moved Kevin Williams inside to DT while moving Kenny Mixon back to his natural LDE position. The defense responded by playing much tougher the last four weeks of the season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Pat, I still think he caused a great distraction on the team, they did not have the same fire after.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

I can't imagine someone's yelling to cause 53 adult professional atheletes to go to the showers with 10 weeks to play. You saw it your way and I'll see it mine. Honestly, my description was a little more manly though. What are they Pop Warner?
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

lets say you had a major assignment at work, you have been busting your balls for 12 weeks. You far exceeded the expectation of your co-workers, but your boss walks in and berates you says you are an embaressement.
    You would still do your job, but is your level 100% and are you a little resentful at least for alittle while?

I also believe that Red's actions following that game had a very negative impact on the rest of the season, especially the 4 game losing streak.

He better of learned his lesson, he needs to keep his old ass quiet and let the coaches do their job. Mike Tice better put him in his place if he pulls that crap again this season.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Don't forget the dramatic chair throwing from Tice! I remember everyone on this forum thought that was the greatest thing and would be such a step in the right direction....wrong!

No offense, but Tice is a Neanderthal. I'm surprised he doesn't script out his first 15 plays on a slab of granite.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Sorry Los

Have to disagree Tice is very emotional, but he has the brains to do this job. He needs the experiance, I think we have a coach that will be here along time.

Skol Vikes!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Fred Flintstone was very emotional, too, and I suppose he had some brains. I think Tice really needs the Great Gazoo to help him out, though.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Dont make it look like it was all reds fault for saying the stuff he did. The vikes got exposed badly by teams with porous rushing defense. Not enough speed and athleticism in the lb core and williams was out of position on the d-line. Bascially everything what purplepat said.

Teams outsmarted us and we took too long to adjust and the rest is self explanatory.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast