Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    XTAP59's Avatar
    XTAP59 is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    777

    The Revenge Of The Schism


    Lost My Stream Of Consciousness

    The honeymoon is over Viking fans. Coach Brad Childress and 40-year-old gunslinger Brett Favre had a little tiff on the sidelines during the crushing loss to the 5-8 Carolina Panthers. Final score, Panthers WIN, Vikings, Schism!

    The rest of this article can be read at the following link....
    Revenge Of The Schism
    Or simply continue reading below....

    Apparently Childress wanted to pull Favre out of the game Sunday while the Vikings were winning, 7-6. He also wanted to pull him during several other games this season. (And when I say pull, I mean BENCH!) Favre categorized the confrontation as a heated argument, that Childress wanted to bench him. Favre said he wasn’t going to the bench, but that he was going out to play. His words, we were winning at the time, 7-6, not 70-6.

    Of course the media sharks smelled the chum in the water and began a feeding frenzy bringing up the schism word, and the injury of Brett’s arm last year, and the way he finished last season with the Jets, and even the way he finished the last five games for the past 6 plus years. (Cue the Jaws music) Now that there is blood in the water, the sharks will not let up until they have consumed all the flesh. The repellent is a victory against the Bears in Chicago on Monday night in front of a national audience. If the Vikings suffer a loss, Police chief Brody will be logging plenty of overtime in Amityville.

    Plenty of fans and media sharks have been waiting for this day to say in a loud united voice, “We told you so!” Favre’s arm is broken, he has lost his zip, Childress has lost control of the team, he’s a lousy couch, etc. To put the blame on Sundays loss squarely on one mans shoulders is wrong.

    Case in point. The Vikings defense is without MLB EJ Henderson. He was a key part of the run defense. A rookie is replacing him, and although Brinkley played adequately, he is a certain downgrade to Henderson. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the Panthers were the first team in 36 games to have a 100 yard rusher with Henderson out. Last week against the Bengals, Benson almost hit the century mark. With Henderson out. So there’s that.

    And then there is this. The offensive line play has been abysmal the past several weeks. I have said this before, and I’ll say it again. LT Mckinnie is adequate at best. Loadholt is a rookie and bound to make mistakes and get taken to task. Sullivan at center is adequate but he is certainly no Matt Birk, a perennial all pro center. Cook and Hicks, at best subs, not starters. That leaves Hutchinson carrying the load. And it shows. In the past few games, Favre has been sacked plenty and knocked down constantly. So there’s that.

    Plus, Percy Harvin has been sidelined with Migraines. He was a major target for Brett Favre, giving headaches to opposing defenses and as an added bonus, usually gave the offense good field position with his exceptional kick off return skills. So there’s that.

    In a nutshell Viking fans, Brad Childress has lost his team to the new gunslinger in town. It took Favre and his skill to unleash the so-called kick ass offense that Tarvaris Jackson could not run effectively. How can he now pull Favre out? How can he now tell Favre not to check out of run plays? How can Childress bench Favre, for whatever reason, let it be a loss of stream of consciousness, a rip in the space time continuum, a torn rotator cuff, or five sacks and an interception and two losses out of three.

    Fret not Viking nation. Viking Thunder has the answer. In the last three games played, Adrian Peterson had 12 carries for 35 yards in the loss to Carolina. He had 26 carries for 97 yards in the win against the Bengals. He had 13 carries for 19 yards in the loss to the Cards. See the pattern? Of course you do. Favre is the gunslinger but Peterson is the rock carrier. Get Peterson 25 plus touches against the Bears Monday night and Viking Thunder guarantee’s a victory.

    Instead of jamming Peterson up the middle, how about getting him into open space. In the past several games, Peterson had some long pass receptions. Twenty rushes, 5 passes, equals a Viking victory.

    Monday night, the weather should be cold, perhaps snow on the ground, swirling winds, and the Bears looking for revenge. Brad and Brett need to kiss and make up, get this ugly mess behind them and the team, maybe put on their Wranglers and toss the ball around in the mud a little bit. Even more, the offensive line needs to wake the hell up. If they play the way they have the past several weeks, this magical season will end with a loss to the Eagles in the playoffs.

    With the Eagles breathing down the Vikings necks for that second bye week spot, the game against the Bears is a must win.

    SKOL VIKINGS!

    LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

  2. #2
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,877

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    Good article XTAP. I agree that a healthy dose of AD and Chester is just what the doctor ordered against Chicago, but only if the OL plays with a bit more passion.

    Make no mistake though, without Favre's arm making big plays for us in the playoffs, it will be a short stint. Use the run to setup the pass, but don't underestimate the weapon we have with Favre when used correctly.

  3. #3
    Big C2 is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    46

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    I agree 100% tastywaves.
    None

  4. #4
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    Great thread, and article!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    Excellent read my friend, thanks......

    One small comment though.

    Case in point. The Vikings defense is without MLB EJ Henderson. He was a key part of the run defense. A rookie is replacing him, and although Brinkley played adequately, he is a certain downgrade to Henderson. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the Panthers were the first team in 36 games to have a 100 yard rusher with Henderson out. Last week against the Bengals, Benson almost hit the century mark. With Henderson out. So there’s that.
    I'm not so sure I'd lay the 100 yarder on Jasper alone. I think that we would have seen this done earlier in the season if teams wouldn't have gotten behind on the scoreboard, thus becoming one dimensional.

    Lets not forget, that even with EJ in there, teams were gashing us for big runs early in the games.

    Is Jasper a drop off? I think he is, however, we have had issues on our D all year when both EJ and Whinny were in there but ultimately the reason the Panthers hung a 100 on us was because they could stick with the run throughout the whole game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    dfosterf's Avatar
    dfosterf is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    987

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    OK--

    The schism is fun for us Packer fans, but a poor second in comparison to a semi-panic, which is also in evidence to a small degree. A Bears win should produce a full semi-panic...One can only hope.

    Here is an article from the Green Bay media about how MM and Aaron operate.

    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/80034692.html

    Chilly appears rather rigid in his thinking (if what has been said is true) in my opinion. Brett should have kept his big mouth shut, also in my opinion.

    It's Brett. They (the media) build 'em up to tear 'em down. Chilly gave 'em so much to work with in the event that something were to rock the boat. That ride from the airport was not without cost. What did anyone expect?

    The story is all mostly b.s., but as previously stated, a bit of fun--that word "schadenfruede" is SO handy...

    All that aside, the reason I am posting the article is because the one thing I do not understand in this whole "schism" is why Chilly would be sticking to his guns on something like this...again, if true. I say the article is worth reading.

    Go Bares!

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    dfosterf wrote:
    OK--

    The schism is fun for us Packer fans, but a poor second in comparison to a semi-panic, which is also in evidence to a small degree. A Bears win should produce a full semi-panic...One can only hope.

    Here is an article from the Green Bay media about how MM and Aaron operate.

    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/80034692.html

    Chilly appears rather rigid in his thinking (if what has been said is true) in my opinion. Brett should have kept his big mouth shut, also in my opinion.

    It's Brett. They (the media) build 'em up to tear 'em down. Chilly gave 'em so much to work with in the event that something were to rock the boat. That ride from the airport was not without cost. What did anyone expect?

    The story is all mostly b.s., but as previously stated, a bit of fun--that word "schadenfruede" is SO handy...

    All that aside, the reason I am posting the article is because the one thing I do not understand in this whole "schism" is why Chilly would be sticking to his guns on something like this...again, if true. I say the article is worth reading.

    Go Bares!
    What an excellent read my friend.

    I think what is lost in all of this is that in this scheme a play is called for a reason and sometimes that reason is so that they can exploit something later.

    Checking out of pass plays for running plays and running plays for passing plays messes that "Chess Match" up a bit.

    I think ultimately that is what this all comes down to starting back when your HC and GM decided they didn't want thier QB doing what our QB is doing now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    I find the whole situation mildly amusing.

    First, the notion that Chiller has "lost control"...in my opinion, that may be the greatest benefit of all. It's no secret that the first time the KAO has actually BEEN a KAO is when Chiller let go and let Favre run it. Prior to that we had 3 craptacular years of anemic offense to gripe about.

    Second, the reason we're now faltering IS NOT because Favre is breaking down. It's because we're no longer allowing Peterson to break defenses. 12 and 13 runs? Are you kidding me? Out of almost 50 opportunities, you've decided that the most explosive running back in the NFL should only have 12-13 oppportunities to break the opposing teams will? That's just ignorant.

    Peterson needs to be the featured player. Favre is great, and he's done amazing things with our receivers, but he has to buy into what he tells the media - that Peterson is the most dangerous back in the NFL.

    Third, the Defense has always been shakey in the secondary. We don't pick off a lot of passes, and we have trouble covering elite receivers. Smith has a history of owning us...fortunately, we won't be seeing him again. We also have a history of allowing rookie or little known QB's to have MVP days against us. Our defense hinges on the front 4 getting to the QB. When they don't, we typically struggle.

    Now, I still believe that this team CAN go the distance. But I also believe that right now they're in a bit of a funk, and they need to make some simple adjustments - like "Back to Basics" - to break out of it. This next game versus Chicago is an excellent opportunity to do just that.

    There's still a lot of football left, kiddies. No need to get your knickers in a knot just yet.

    Caine

  9. #9
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    Caine wrote:
    I find the whole situation mildly amusing.

    First, the notion that Chiller has "lost control"...in my opinion, that may be the greatest benefit of all. It's no secret that the first time the KAO has actually BEEN a KAO is when Chiller let go and let Favre run it. Prior to that we had 3 craptacular years of anemic offense to gripe about.

    Second, the reason we're now faltering IS NOT because Favre is breaking down. It's because we're no longer allowing Peterson to break defenses. 12 and 13 runs? Are you kidding me? Out of almost 50 opportunities, you've decided that the most explosive running back in the NFL should only have 12-13 oppportunities to break the opposing teams will? That's just ignorant.

    Peterson needs to be the featured player. Favre is great, and he's done amazing things with our receivers, but he has to buy into what he tells the media - that Peterson is the most dangerous back in the NFL.

    Third, the Defense has always been shakey in the secondary. We don't pick off a lot of passes, and we have trouble covering elite receivers. Smith has a history of owning us...fortunately, we won't be seeing him again. We also have a history of allowing rookie or little known QB's to have MVP days against us. Our defense hinges on the front 4 getting to the QB. When they don't, we typically struggle.

    Now, I still believe that this team CAN go the distance. But I also believe that right now they're in a bit of a funk, and they need to make some simple adjustments - like "Back to Basics" - to break out of it. This next game versus Chicago is an excellent opportunity to do just that.

    There's still a lot of football left, kiddies. No need to get your knickers in a knot just yet.

    Caine
    Great post. The only thing I want to add is where was all this crap when we were winning? I love it. Time to get back to winning like the other 11 games.

  10. #10
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:The Revenge Of The Schism

    Marrdro wrote:
    Excellent read my friend, thanks......

    One small comment though.

    Case in point. The Vikings defense is without MLB EJ Henderson. He was a key part of the run defense. A rookie is replacing him, and although Brinkley played adequately, he is a certain downgrade to Henderson. I don’t think it was a coincidence that the Panthers were the first team in 36 games to have a 100 yard rusher with Henderson out. Last week against the Bengals, Benson almost hit the century mark. With Henderson out. So there’s that.
    I'm not so sure I'd lay the 100 yarder on Jasper alone. I think that we would have seen this done earlier in the season if teams wouldn't have gotten behind on the scoreboard, thus becoming one dimensional.

    Lets not forget, that even with EJ in there, teams were gashing us for big runs early in the games.

    Is Jasper a drop off? I think he is, however, we have had issues on our D all year when both EJ and Whinny were in there but ultimately the reason the Panthers hung a 100 on us was because they could stick with the run throughout the whole game.
    It seems to me that the last time EJ was out for the season the Vikings gave up the fewest yards on the ground in the league. EJ is a huge loss, but, not insurmountable.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Behind the Schism: What's Wrong is Right
    By Mike Bullock in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
  2. My post was caught in a schism.
    By Mike Bullock in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
  3. Sweet Revenge?!
    By marstc09 in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM
  4. FISH revenge
    By ColoradoViking in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM
  5. Denny's revenge
    By AngloVike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 03:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •