Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Return man uncertain

Posted on Wed, Sep. 06, 2006

[size=13pt]Return man uncertain[/size]
    Williamson's hands concern Childress

BY MARCUS R. FULLER
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings hope running back Mewelde Moore can field punts to start the season, but they're not as confident in wide receiver Troy Williamson as a kick returner.

"In a perfect world, I would say that a guy like Mewelde, provided that he has a good week of practice, would be back there sitting underneath punts," Childress said. "(Williamson) did a good job of pushing it back in there. But there are a couple of other candidates that remain to be seen right now."

Moore, who missed the past three exhibition games with a knee injury, has just one punt return for 11 yards this preseason. But if last season is any measure, a healthy Moore should have no problem being ready.

Moore didn't return any punts last preseason, but he led the Vikings during the regular season, scoring one touchdown on 21 returns and averaging 11.7 yards, the team's highest average in six seasons.

Williamson had only two kickoff returns during the preseason last year, but he became an adequate backup to Pro Bowler Koren Robinson as a rookie.

Williamson's speed made him the top candidate to replace Robinson this year, but he fumbled his first kickoff in the exhibition opener against Oakland. He finished with just two returns for 35 yards in four exhibition games, but Childress believes he can at least rely on Williamson to hold on to the ball.

"He has made progress from the standpoint that the ball is at the 50-yard line, not at the 20, and it's not on the ground, it's in his hands," Childress said. "That's the biggest progress."

There's a possibility the Vikings could address their need for a kick returner before the season opener Monday night at Washington. They have another option besides Williamson with cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who had a 16-yard return last week against Dallas.

McDaniel to enter Ring: The Vikings announced that former offensive guard Randall McDaniel will be inducted into their Ring of Honor during halftime of their game against the New York Jets on Dec. 17.

McDaniel played for the Vikings from 1988-99, and he was named to the Pro Bowl 11 times during that stretch, the most ever for a Viking. He also was a Pro Bowl selection in 2000 for Tampa Bay.

McDaniel retired in 2001.

More roster changes: A day after signing former Chicago Bears offensive lineman Steve Edwards, the Vikings released him to make room for linebacker Marquis Cooper.

Cooper, a special-teams player for Tampa Bay last season, has 27 career tackles. He was drafted by the Buccaneers in the third round out of Washington in 2004. The Vikings gave him a two-year contract.

Minnesota added defensive end Jayme Mitchell to the practice squad after placing him on waivers Monday.

New nickel corner: The season-ending injury to Dovonte Edwards, who broke his arm against Dallas on Friday, left the Vikings without a leading candidate for nickel cornerback.

Minnesota claimed veteran defensive back Rashad Baker on Sunday, but Childress said the team still hasn't decided where it will go with the position.

"We are rolling some different people through there, from Antoine (Winfield) to Ronyell," he said. "Cedric (Griffin) will probably stay outside, but there are some different combinations that we can use in there, and I think we'll solidify that as we go through the week."

Former player updates: Facing a one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, Robinson visited with the Green Bay Packers over the weekend, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported.

The Packers are unlikely to sign Robinson until after Sunday's season opener against the Chicago Bears. If he signs before then, the Packers would have to guarantee him his base salary, a minimum of $585,000, for the entire season. If they wait until after the game, the Packers could cut Robinson at any point and owe him only for the weeks he is on their roster.

In other news:

• The NFL Network reported that quarterback Mike McMahon visited with the Cleveland Browns on Monday.

• J.T. O'Sullivan has signed with the New England Patriots practice squad.

Marcus R. Fuller can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Return man uncertain

I don't like the idea of Williamson returning kicks or punts at all. If Childress is concerned it is his own doing. He knew that Moore was injured and Williamson was struggling, but he still went ahead an cut Mathis and Carter anyways. Williamson is going to get injured if he returns all season.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

spikecyrus is offline Rookie

I totally agree, do not et Williamson return kicks, at least not yet. Thats a postion that would be great for J. Cater.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

They have another option besides Williamson with cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who had a 16-yard return last week against Dallas.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Whitaker brings to the table, he's a real firecracker if you ask me....May be a nice little job for him...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet Guest

Put Pussyton in as a return man and forbid him to take a fair catch.
    Toughen the bastard up a little bit.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    They have another option besides Williamson with cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who had a 16-yard return last week against Dallas.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Whitaker brings to the table, he's a real firecracker if you ask me....May be a nice little job for him...
    im with you, i think whitaker is definatly the top candidate

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Take Charles Gordon off of the practice squad and put him back there...he's bound to make something happen...if he is fully healthy, that is!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Put Pussyton in as a return man and forbid him to take a fair catch.
    Toughen the bastard up a little bit.
    NO WAY!!!
    PinkTacoSton will get creamed the first time and they will snap his bones like toothpicks!
    Just let him be the decoy on the go routes so that he can clear out the safety for our other receivers to catch the ball underneath.
    Chuck it to him deep along the sidelines every once in awhile just to keep the DBs honest...and maybe he will even come up with a few long TDs.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i agree that
    Carter would be great back there returning, but then you have to add him to the roster and then that means you have to cut some one, it is getting too close to season now to be doing that as they need to get their regulars all together and start playing together so each one knows what the other is doing, althought he thought of ronyell would be interesting too...i just hope moore is healthy enough
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"spikecyrus" wrote:
    I totally agree, do not et Williamson return kicks, at least not yet. Thats a postion that would be great for J. Cater.
    well if from what they are saying is true about other teams interested in him, then they should find a way to get him on the team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast