Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Restocking the WR corps

Now the hard part: Restocking Vikings WRs

if you were hoping the Vikings would emerge from the offseason with a more dynamic set of playmakers than they had in 2012, it's time to at least temporarily adjust your expectations. You better hope they rebuild themselves to 2012 form first.
    Now the hard part: Restocking Vikings WRs - NFC North Blog - ESPN
    Last edited by singersp; 03-12-2013 at 05:32 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings sign Brandon Gibson in free agency, then stock the receiving group through the draft. Mike Wallace is not worth 13 mil a year imo. If Jennings could be had for 9-10 mil a year, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Minnesota, provided he would even want to come here with the current QB situation. Kinda difficult going from a elite QB like Rodgers to a mediocre QB like Ponder.

I highly doubt the Vikings take a WR with both of their 1st rd picks. If they do that, then I would like to see Keenan Allen and Tavon Austin picked. Allen is a taller redzone threat that has good hands and can separate himself. Austin is a lot like Harvin in that he is explosive and very elusive. If the Vikes got Austin, they could replace a lot of what Harvin is leaving behind, and hopefully he is not a headcase diva.

I don't know much about Justin Hunter, but from what I have seen of him it looks like he has trouble separating from defenders, no breakaway speed, and usually goes down after initial contact. If I am wrong about him, tell me. Like I said, I haven't seen enough of him to really judge him.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    There are actually several ways for the Vikings to build the WR unit, I just hope they do it right. I would have liked to have seen Boldin as a Viking, but how much more does he actually have in the tank being 33 years old?

Cruz would be a nice addition, but I don't think the Vikings want to give up a 1st rd pick for him. Like I said before, Wallace will be expensive, and something that the Vikings shouldn't touch, Jennings may not want to come here, but may not have a ton of suitors, especially if Miami gets Wallace.

Also, there are some WR's that may be available in a trade. None off the top of my head, but I am sure there are options out there. All I know is the Vikings are desperate to fix this situation, and they need to do it this year.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Anyway you like it, we need 2 GOOD receivers. Ideally one free agent, one draftee.

The way I'd prefer to do it:

1. Jennings/Draft guy like Austin
    2. Wallace/Draft guy like Austin
    3. Try and work a trade with Giants, if not, sign to offer sheet/draft guy like Austin

We can't afford to do anything less. We're not going to succeed by signing Gibson and a mid-round WR. We need to come out better at the position than we were this season. That means replacing Harvin, Jenkins, Aromashodu and Simpson.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Anyway you like it, we need 2 GOOD receivers. Ideally one free agent, one draftee.

The way I'd prefer to do it:

1. Jennings/Draft guy like Austin
    2. Wallace/Draft guy like Austin
    3. Try and work a trade with Giants, if not, sign to offer sheet/draft guy like Austin

We can't afford to do anything less. We're not going to succeed by signing Gibson and a mid-round WR. We need to come out better at the position than we were this season. That means replacing Harvin, Jenkins, Aromashodu and Simpson.
    Jennings, Austin and Cruz are all primarily slot receivers. Jennings and Cruz can probably be used in multiple positions, but their true strength is in the slot. Along with Wright that leaves us with a lot of similar skillsets.

Wallace would be a good complement, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the contract he is demanding on a team like MN. Just can't see paying him more than we are AD, but then again I have a problem with high priced WR's in general. I'm sure I can get over it.

In the draft I am more intrigued with guys like Patterson, Allen, Hopkins and Hunter. Austin looks like he could very well be a special player though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Jennings, Austin and Cruz are all primarily slot receivers. Jennings and Cruz can probably be used in multiple positions, but their true strength is in the slot. Along with Wright that leaves us with a lot of similar skillsets.
    Similar, but not the same. Jennings and Cruz are both guys who can play outside no problem. Jennings isn't a super tall guy, but he's big enough to beat the jam, and he plays like a guy who's 6'2". He lines up all over the field, and can run any route you ask him to, which is why he's my top target.
    Wallace would be a good complement, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the contract he is demanding on a team like MN. Just can't see paying him more than we are AD, but then again I have a problem with high priced WR's in general. I'm sure I can get over it.
    See, I disagree. Wallace to me is a one trick pony (Ok, two). he goes deep, and he takes slants to the house. He can't catch very well, he's a body catcher, but he's flashy.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Similar, but not the same. Jennings and Cruz are both guys who can play outside no problem. Jennings isn't a super tall guy, but he's big enough to beat the jam, and he plays like a guy who's 6'2". He lines up all over the field, and can run any route you ask him to, which is why he's my top target.

See, I disagree. Wallace to me is a one trick pony (Ok, two). he goes deep, and he takes slants to the house. He can't catch very well, he's a body catcher, but he's flashy.
    He was your #2 option, so you must not disagree too much? I agree that he will most likely be overpaid for his value, the nature of FA and receivers on the market.

In checking out all the predictions for who will go where, it looks like the consensus is that Wallace will go to Miami and Jennings will go to MN. Of course, that is assuming MN is even playing in this game.

With Jennings, it could very well come down to GB vs. MN. I'm sure GB would hate to lose Jennings to MN, so may stretch their comfort zone in terms of a contract. We'll see, but I do agree that he is probably the guy that will get closest to his value and have no problem with him on our roster. He is 5-11 though, you add Austin on top of that, and we'll have a bunch of munchkins running around the field. I still favor going after one of the prototype guys in the draft that can battle for the ball and see over the DB's covering them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    He was your #2 option, so you must not disagree too much? I agree that he will most likely be overpaid for his value, the nature of FA and receivers on the market.
    Only because Wallace doesn't cost draft picks, otherwise Cruz would be ahead of him, If we're going to go after a second-tier guy like Amendola or Gibson, we better compliment it with a top-tier guy like Cruz or Jennings.

In checking out all the predictions for who will go where, it looks like the consensus is that Wallace will go to Miami and Jennings will go to MN. Of course, that is assuming MN is even playing in this game.
    I just have a horrible feeling that we're not actually even looking at Jennings.
    With Jennings, it could very well come down to GB vs. MN. I'm sure GB would hate to lose Jennings to MN, so may stretch their comfort zone in terms of a contract. We'll see, but I do agree that he is probably the guy that will get closest to his value and have no problem with him on our roster. He is 5-11 though, you add Austin on top of that, and we'll have a bunch of munchkins running around the field. I still favor going after one of the prototype guys in the draft that can battle for the ball and see over the DB's covering them.
    The thing I like about Jennings over any other guys available, is despite being only 5'11", he plays like a bigger player. He can outjump some guys, and he's got great hands and adjusts really well to mis-thrown balls. We need that trait in our receivers. Wallace just doesn't do that. Cruz needs a well thrown ball as well, but when he gets it, he's dangerous. Cruz runs good routes, and catches well enough. Cruz could be considered my top pick, based on his age. He's got lots of good ball left in him, wheras Jennings will be limited.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    2013 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

Walter has already updated, and it looks good for Vikings!!

1a. Keenen Allen WR who is a reliable, all around threat with good size and decent speed
    1b. Arthur Brown LB with instincts and speed
    2. Kawaan Short DT with strength and burst
    3. Ryan Swope WR who is fast, versatile and reliable (catches per year: 72, 89, 72!)
    4a. Bacarri Rambo S to compete with Raymond for starting opposite Smith
    4b. AJ Klein MLB who could compete to start
    5. Johnathan Franklin RB depth to develop and potentially replace Toby when his contract ends next season...

Those two WRs could be starters year 1...and/or we could still sign Jennings or some mid tier competition at the spot too. Sounds like Wallace likes warm weather, and that would be Miami, so Jennings seems most likely of whats left at the top of the heap. He's a good vet leader who we may be able to get to take an incentive laden contract with a bit less than the 12-13 guaranteed that Harvin and Wallace are getting. And, like Allen and Swope, he can lineup in the slot or outside, giving us ultimate route flexibility and hopefully, improving our predictability in a big way!

The next 6 weeks will be very telling of Spielman's legacy, we're letting talent slip away in Harvin and probably Load, but how will we fill those holes? There is talent available in FA and the draft that could actually upgrade or at least better fit our team-first, hard-working mentality at both positions. You will be judged!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Restocking the WR corps

I just don't like the idea of signing Jennings.there is talent in the draft with as much talent as he has for less money.

I would spend more money on a better WR coach and WR talent scout as that seems to be a problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast