Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Requiem for a jersey.

For dis post, I'm lettin' me mout'piece lawyer speak for me. I'm too choked up for woids, y'know?
    =================================================
    Welcome, faithful, for the memorial to the original jersey of the Vikings.

It's amazing. I'm really surprised at the feelings I'm having about the new jerseys. It feels as if the 36 years I've spent being a Viking fan have ended, now that they have a new look. Understanding my feelings takes some explaining, some soul-searching.

A team has a face, an identity, one that is displayed solely by their uniforms. The uniform represents the team you are enamored of, the one you live and die for on game day. And now, because Zygi in his ego trip to put his own stamp on his new play toy, the Minnesota Vikings, that identity has changed. It's like looking at someone you thought you knew, and suddenly realize they are a stranger.

I mourn, for a chapter has been closed. The link to the past, the Vikings uniforms, has been broken. I think of all the games, the players, the images forever implanted in my memory, all of them proudly wearing the original Viking jersey. Carl Eller burying a quarterback. Fran Tarkenton scrambling with defenders in hot pursuit. Alan Page blasting a runner behind the line of scrimmage. Chuck Foreman juking a would-be defender on his way to a big gain. I'm a traditionalist. And tradition was severed for me yesterday. Swept away to be forgotten in favor of a slick, flashy new image of what a Viking should look like. For me, it's really depressing.

I realize most will not understand what I'm going through, because of youth, or a different point of view about sports. I know that some, perhaps most, will think that I am overreacting. These feelings will pass to a certain degree, I know. Still, it is sad. I had wished that with all the new changes going on with the Vikings, they could have still kept the original uniforms, and won with them, instead of casting them aside like old laundry.

Well, I shall not forget. I'm old school. And while I will root for the Vikings with the same intensity as before, my heart will be with the old guard, who wore the original jerserys. I will not buy the new jerseys. Rather, I will spend my money on the throwback uniforms wherever I can find them. For there my heart lies, and will dwell forever.

To the future, I remain hopeful. To the past, I remain faithful. SKOL, Vikings!

"From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Requiem for a jersey.

remember..it's just a feeling, and time heals everything lol ..gotta say those pics brought back memories.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Good poist der champ!

I am old skool too...let the Viking's reign eternally!

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Good post Mugs. Although I don't feel the same way about the changes, I can understand your feelings.

But.. Uh... Would a SuperBowl win with these new uniforms justify the change in your eyes? =)
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Like I said...win me three or four Super Bowls in those new jerseys and I will buy all the new Vikings stuff that Wilf wants me to buy...but nothing before we get at least ONE Super Bowl...NOTHING!!!

Except game tickets, that is...and food at the game of course...unless they change THAT too!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Woah woah woah..

F'IN WOAH!!

I hate to do this to ya guys.. But I gotta say it cos you're all getting a little TOO carried away..

[size=28px]DO NOT. EVER. LIKEN GETTING NEW UNIFORMS TO HELPING US WIN A SUPERBOWL. EVER.[/size]

And now back to our regularly-scheduled broadcast.

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

though jerseys weren't that great. Ya gotsda add da new flash and peemp ness do these new joiseys.

Formerly Viking24

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Like I said...win me three or four Super Bowls in those new jerseys and I will buy all the new Vikings stuff that Wilf wants me to buy...but nothing before we get at least ONE Super Bowl...NOTHING!!!

Except game tickets, that is...and food at the game of course...unless they change THAT too!!!
    Actually, if the change the food in the metrodome and get a better beer, I will probably buy more. :wink:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

as long as they dont get rid of the root beer floats or hot dogs, im good with the food and drink at the metrodome
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Json is offline GM

Mugsy is the DA MAN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast