Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Reporting to training camp

[size=18px]Reporting to training camp[/size]

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

It is finally here. The 2006 football season commenced in Mankato on Thursday as Vikings rookies and selected veterans reported to the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato. Long days of preparation and anticipation came to a head as members of the coaching staff began arriving early Thursday morning and players began arriving before noon and continued to arrive around 4:00pm.

Vikings.com was there to take in all the action during the day. Here is what was happening as the Vikings began arriving in Mankato...

2:00pm

Second round draft pick Ryan Cook arrived at Gage Hall to check in. He was one of the first players to arrive.

"It feels good to get here," Cook said while standing outside the entrance of Gage Hall. "We had a nice little break and it feels good to get here now and finally get started and get on a roll."

When players arrive, they are shown to the front desk where Vikings staff members distribute their room keys and other necessary information. Then, the players are given an opportunity to tour the training camp area. Each player is assigned a bicycle for the duration of training camp to commute from one area of the campus to the other.

Fans are provided an area to observe as the players report. Upon arriving, the players take time to sign autographs, take photos and chat with fans.

"I come to get autographs and because I live so close," Louie Bernard, a Mankato native said as he waited for his favorite Vikings players to arrive. "I usually go to every practice and hang out in the Vikings Village in between practices."

2:30pm

Veteran quarterback Mike McMahon and defensive back Dustin Fox both arrived at training camp headquarters. McMahon reported early, as most quarterbacks on NFL teams typically do, to get a head start on the offense and learn the verbiage. The five-year veteran spent last season with Childress in Philadelphia and knows what to expect during training camp.

"We're going to be here to work and to smack around a little bit," McMahon said. "When we do get some down time we'll relax a little bit, but we're here for work and it's a business. We are here to prepare for that season opener."

2:50pm

A Vikings charter bus filled with players arrived in front of training camp headquarters. Rookie Cedric Griffin was among those on the bus and was anxious to get going.

"I think it's very important that everybody gets in here and gets to know everybody," Griffin said about the rookies and selected veterans reporting early. "We need to get familiar with the coaches, schemes and the playbook and we need to bond. We have a strong team right now so it will be good to get all the younger guys in here."

Second-round draft pick Tarvaris Jackson was another who rode the team's charter bus to Mankato. He looked forward to seeing some of his teammates and getting to work on the field.

"It's an exciting time getting involved with your teammates," Jackson said. "It's exciting but at the same time I don't know what to expect so I just want to go out there and show what I can do."

3:40pm

Upon arriving on campus, 17th overall choice Chad Greenway addressed the media outside of training camp headquarters just after 3:30pm.

Greenway was a huge attraction to the fans waiting outside of Gage Hall. The former Hawkeye talked to the media before checking in.

"This is what's supposed to happen," Greenway said in answering questions about rookies reporting to camp on time. "You're supposed to be at camp on time. This is the way it works."

With the signing of Greenway earlier on Thursday, each of the six draft choices were under contract and in Mankato.

"I think it's very important," Greenway said about having each of the draft choices signed and in camp. "And it's just a credit to the way they drafted, the type of players they have, the type of people that want to be here and be on time."

Like the other players arriving today, Greenway is exciting to begin practicing.

"I just can't wait to put the pads on and start hitting," Greenway said.

5:00pm

Head Coach Brad Childress, scheduled to address the media at 5:00pm, arrived a few minutes early to talk with reporters about training camp. Childress was very pleased with how Thursday went. Here are a few notes outlining Childress' discussion with the media:

On arriving at training camp headquarters

"It's great to get things started, [at] Minnesota State," Childress said. "Just by the looks of this place, it sets up very well. It takes a lot of people and a lot of bodies and a lot of organization to get this done. Just as we come in and enter here, [we're]very pleased with how it sets up here."

Talking about what the first three days will be like for the rookies and selected veterans

"What you're going to see out here in the next three days, is an opportunity in some cases reacquaint with what we're doing offensively and defensively and also the special teams area."

On practicing in the extreme heat

"You always worry about the heat, but as a coach, you want to practice in the heat because some of those games early on have a chance to be hot games. I can tell you this, when we go to Washington (in Week 1), even though it is going to be a night game, it is going to be hot and it is going to be humid. You want to work in the heat."

Click here for the full Coach Childress Transcript

Note:

The Vikings signed seven-year veteran wide receiver Dez White on Thursday

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Reporting to training camp

Posted on Fri, Jul. 28, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings open with full house[/size]
    Greenway's signing makes team holdout-free for start of camp

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Rookie contract holdouts have become all too common for the Vikings.

So the Vikings, after the arrival of first-round pick Chad Greenway at Minnesota State Mankato 90 minutes before the reporting deadline Thursday, were relieved and relished their first holdout-free training camp since 2001.

In his mind, though, Greenway was late.

"I wanted to be here at 1 o'clock," he said.

New Vikings coach Brad Childress wasn't complaining.

"I'm grateful to (vice president of football operations) Rob Brzezinski for getting all of those draft picks signed and in here," Childress said. "I think it takes two to tango. Those guys had to want to get here too, so I'm excited to have all of our draft choices here, and they'll be able to work the first day."

Although most of the team won't arrive until Sunday, rookies and selected veterans had to report by 5 p.m., Thursday, and they will participate in their first practice this morning.

"What you're going to see out here in the next three days is an opportunity in some cases to reacquaint with what we're doing offensively and defensively and also the special-teams area," Childress said.

Childress also mentioned that Chris Kluwe would be able to punt, and players such as receiver Troy Williamson, who missed many of the offseason sessions, would get much-needed extra work and time with their position coaches.

That also was important to quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who signed his four-year deal, which included a $1.1 million signing bonus, Wednesday night.

"That's the number one thing, just getting here on time," Jackson said. "With a quarterback, every rep is important."

Greenway said he made clear to his agent, Marvin Demoff, that he didn't want to be a training camp holdout.

"When I was doing the agent process, I started off by saying, 'I don't want to be a guy that's going to hold out of camp, and we're not going to be too proud as an agent or as a player to hold out,' " Greenway said. " 'If that's what they're offering, that's what we're going to take.' That's kind of the approach I took when I was getting agents, and that's what Marvin stuck to, and he did a great job."

Greenway signed a five-year, $10.75 million contract Thursday that represented about a 7 percent increase over last year's 17th overall pick, linebacker David Pollack of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Greenway will receive an immediate $1.35 million roster bonus and is due a $5.11 million option bonus that is guaranteed next spring. He also would get an attainable $1 million bonus for achieving a minimum playing time clause in any of his first four seasons (for instance, Pollack earned a $550,000 playing-time bonus last year as a rookie).

In all, not including the playing time bonus, Greenway is set to earn $6.145 million in guarantees. He also could earn up to $2.5 million in escalators.

"It was a good process," Greenway said. "When it all started, I'm like, 'Why are you guys starting so late? We should have started this a month ago.' But everything worked its way out, and from what I understand, it's a deal that's fair for both sides. … I'm happy to be here. It's more important for me to be a good teammate than a good player."

As for his expectations, Greenway said he isn't going to concern himself with setting any.

"The one thing I can control is what I do and what I know out there," he said. "I'm not going to worry about playing time. I'm not going to worry about all that stuff because that will all take care of itself by doing it on the football field. That's where it starts, so my biggest focus was to get in the book and not lose what I had from the minicamps and start there and grow off of that."

Greenway said he also feels no additional pressure to start right away.

"If you put that much pressure on yourself, you're going to go out there and maybe force it or push it a little too much," he said. "The key is to stay relaxed and don't put the pressure on. Just go out there and play ball. It's a kids' game. We're out here having fun and getting paid for it."

Vikings open with full house

[size=18px]From farm to camp[/size]
    Greenway signs contract, reports to Mankato on time

By Chad Courrier
    The Free Press

MANKATO —

While most rookies were getting ready for training camp by working the weight room or on the track, Chad Greenway was being put through a different regimen by his father at the family farm in South Dakota.

“I was up at 6 a.m., 5 a.m., loading pigs,” Greenway said. “My dad could probably care less if I’m going to camp. They took advantage of me when I was there.”

Greenway, the Vikings’ No. 1 draft choice, signed his contract Friday and reported to Minnesota State, along with other rookies and selected veterans. They will hold two one-hour practices today, starting at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Both workouts are open to the public.

“I’m happy to be here,” Greenway said. “It was more important to be a good teammate than be a good player.”

Greenway, who is projected to battle for the weakside linebacker position with veteran E.J. Henderson, said he instructed agent Marv Demoff to get his deal done before reporting day, and “not be too proud” to negotiate with the Vikings. His five-year contract could be worth up to $13.25 million with roster and performance bonuses.

“It was a good process,” Greenway said. “When it all started, I said ‘Why is it starting so late?’ It should have started a month ago.

“This is the way it’s supposed to work. I’m supposed to be in camp on time.”

Greenway was the 17th overall pick in the 2006 draft, the first linebacker from Iowa to ever be drafted in the first round. He was a two-time All-Big Ten selection and finished his career with 416 tackles, fifth best in Iowa history.

“I was a little late,” said Greenway, who arrived in Mankato about 3:30 p.m.. “I wanted to be here about 1 (p.m.).”

Coach Brad Childress said it was important for Greenway and all of the rookies to get here on time so the coaches can spend extra time explaining new offensive and defensive schemes.

“At times, we’ll be full speed, but we can also do some walking and talking,” Childress said. “You don’t get to walk and talk and teach once the vets get here.”

From farm to camp

When is the last time we had everyone signed & in camp on time?

With the off-season being so long, I just might have to make the trek to training camp for the first time since Lesnar was inked.

Prophet Guest

lmao, since you posted six times in a row I felt obligated to chime in. Do it. If Brock Lesnar was enough of a reason to go to camp you should have plenty of reasons to justify it this year.

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Go and give a some first hand news.

"Prophet" wrote:
    lmao, since you posted six times in a row I felt obligated to chime in. Do it. If Brock Lesnar was enough of a reason to go to camp you should have plenty of reasons to justify it this year.
    LMAO! I guess I did! I can't believe no one posted in between those posts, but when there are so few people on line this early in the morning, it can happen.

The flurry of posts, like it it has been every summer day like clockwork, won't happen until 11:00 A.M. when the "younguns" finally crawl out of bed.

:grin:

TheCol is offline Rookie

YIIIIIIIIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!! Only 2 hours till I'm up on campus clicking away. Somone pinch me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast