Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    So the right way to fix the team is to drop a leader on and off the field like Winfield and bring back a woman beater?

I am having a hard time tracking with that game plan.
    Methinks kevoncox is a bit too wild with his assumptions, but I'm willing to bet those player listed will not get re-signed when their contracts are up.l

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I don't disagree with the players he listed leaving, in fact I fully expect it. However, the thought of keeping the woman beater doesn't sit well with me unless some really different evidence emerges.

But it still leaves at least 2 huge problems.

We are going to be losing a large number of core veterans from a team that needs all the experience it can get and the job of re stocking the shelves can claim to only drafting about 6 quality starters since 2007.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Would you keep Winfield at 7.9 Million?

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Just so we're clear guys... Cedric Griffin and Everson Griffen. I don't mind speelling mistakes unlees its a playurs naym okkkay?

And I agree completely with kevon, though I'd like to keep Kevin, as IBP said, we have no one else. I want to try Winfield at safety before we let him go, as we're screwed back there too.

The reason we have to lose them is due to salary. They are making way to much.
    Winny = 7.9 million
    EJ = Would probably want 5 mill a year
    Griffin = Over payed
    Shank = 3 million a year.

Williams is gonna cost us about 8 mil.

I don't disagree with the players he listed leaving, in fact I fully expect it. However, the thought of keeping the woman beater doesn't sit well with me unless some really different evidence emerges.

But it still leaves at least 2 huge problems.

We are going to be losing a large number of core veterans from a team that needs all the experience it can get and the job of re stocking the shelves can claim to only drafting about 6 quality starters since 2007.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I understand we are going to lose a crapload of players. The question is do we have a FO with the experience and fortitude to purge them and find replacements they can both afford and count on to build a championship team.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    7.9 million is well worth it. We have one player on our secondary that should be a starter, we don't need to replace him too.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    The question is do we have a FO with the experience and fortitude to purge them and find replacements they can both afford and count on to build a championship team.
    If you use the example of letting Pat Williams go and picking up Remi Ayodele, the answer is a resounding no.
    You would obviously think letting Madieu go would be a net gain. Wrong again.
    What about Rice. Certainly no real gain there, although we all know the real story now. The Vikings couldn't afford to sign Rice.
    They let Favre walk, although he wouldn't have come back anyway. Certainly didn't see improvement there yet either.
    Did we improve at any of the positions where a veteran was let go for a less expensive player?
    I understand the McKinnie release, but how has that worked out?

So without equivocation I would say no.
    In addition I think we better drag Studwell and his staff into this conversation as well, concerning talent aquisition in the mid and late rounds of the draft.

The problem is, as I've said before, It's pretty damn difficult to attract a top notch GM to a team that has no stadium.

Kevon has the right idea, but I also have my doubts they will get it done.

We don't have him because he has missed about 4 games each season for the past 4 years. Not to mention the games he played in while not fully 100% and looked poorly. He is always missing time and his skills are only getting worst. Yes he can tackle...but can he cover. He needs to go at 7.9 million for about 4 million we can have a YOUNG top notch CB.

Quote Originally Posted by jessejames09 View Post
    7.9 million is well worth it. We have one player on our secondary that should be a starter, we don't need to replace him too.

I think it's whats is best for the team. Those guys have/ are about to hit a serious drop in production. Even K. Williams is no where the consitant player he once was. Don't tell me it's cause he is getting doubled team because him and Pat played in 2010 and their was no word from them. Speaking of Pat.....I can't believe no one game him a look-see.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Methinks kevoncox is a bit too wild with his assumptions, but I'm willing to bet those player listed will not get re-signed when their contracts are up.l

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Would you keep Winfield at 7.9 Million?
    He isn't making 7 million next year without playing well to hit incentives and earn it.

Clause triggered in Antoine Winfield's contract alters compensation - Minnesota Vikings news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

Winfield confirmed on Monday the injuries that limited him to five games this season triggered a playing-time clause in his contract, de-escalating his base salary from $7 million to $3 million next season.

The reduction provides a more team-friendly salary and cap figure for a 13-year veteran who will turn 35 in June. But the reduced salary also makes it more likely Winfield will stick on a rebuilding roster, and an NFL source said he can make back the $4 million in incentives, based on hitting different benchmarks for the percentage of snaps he plays.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast