Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

    For me it's not so much about how they effect the eventual winner of the game, but how the game is played. I think they are doing the best they can, and probably with less bias then the regular refs.
    I'm not buying the less bias crap. There's already reports out there of replacement refs refereeing their favorite teams game & others telling players to do well (and possibly helping them to do so) because they have them on their fantasy team.

    LeSean McCoy Claims Replacement Ref Told Him to Do Well for Fantasy Team | Bleacher Report

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #12
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm not buying the less bias crap. There's already reports out there of replacement refs refereeing their favorite teams game & others telling players to do well (and possibly helping them to do so) because they have them on their fantasy team.

    LeSean McCoy Claims Replacement Ref Told Him to Do Well for Fantasy Team | Bleacher Report
    I think the replacement refs are a breath of fresh air. Yes, they make mistakes but who doesn't, the reg refs make some horrible calls. I loved seeing GB cbs being flagged for illegal contact after five yards, when was the last time that happened? I remember Harris just molesting our receivers all the way down the field a few years back. Go replacement refs, screw those greedy overpaid refs who aren't very good either!!!!!!

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  3. #13
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm not buying the less bias crap. There's already reports out there of replacement refs refereeing their favorite teams game & others telling players to do well (and possibly helping them to do so) because they have them on their fantasy team.

    LeSean McCoy Claims Replacement Ref Told Him to Do Well for Fantasy Team | Bleacher Report
    Who would dispute the claims of a guy who's nickname is "Shady"

  4. #14
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    I watched the game Monday night, and yes, the Packers got screwed by that last call....


    ...but how is it any different than any other game, in any other year?

    Remember the 2002 Vikings-Packers game that Walt Coleman (a REAL Ref) screwed us on NINE blown calls in that game - as ADMITTED by the NFL?

    How about the 2009 NFC Championship game when New Orleans raped our QB on the field? Or the BS pass interference call that kept the Cheaters.... I mean the "Saints"....in the game? Those weren't "Replacement Refs"...

    In short, how is what is happening NOW any more embarrassing for the league, or any more detrimental for the league than what has ALWAYS been going on?

    It isn't.

    The difference is, you now have Drew "Whiney Ass" Brees making statements blaming the Refs for his teams inability to play worth a piss, and you have the Packers pissed because they weren't the recipient of the blown call....

    So, from where I sit, the level of officiating hasn't really dropped off all that much. We're just quicker to point the blame finger because these guys are "replacement" refs. The NFL is right. The refs aren't the game. But the pundits are now going to try and make them the game.

    Caine

  5. #15
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,779
    Blog Entries
    4
    As I read somewhere else, the owners are the people locking out the regular refereeing crews. Since Green Bay is 'owned' by the fans then they actually managed to screw themselves over... so they should all be pointing the finger at each other for allowing this situation to arise
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  6. #16
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I watched the game Monday night, and yes, the Packers got screwed by that last call....


    ...but how is it any different than any other game, in any other year?

    Remember the 2002 Vikings-Packers game that Walt Coleman (a REAL Ref) screwed us on NINE blown calls in that game - as ADMITTED by the NFL?

    How about the 2009 NFC Championship game when New Orleans raped our QB on the field? Or the BS pass interference call that kept the Cheaters.... I mean the "Saints"....in the game? Those weren't "Replacement Refs"...

    In short, how is what is happening NOW any more embarrassing for the league, or any more detrimental for the league than what has ALWAYS been going on?

    It isn't.

    The difference is, you now have Drew "Whiney Ass" Brees making statements blaming the Refs for his teams inability to play worth a piss, and you have the Packers pissed because they weren't the recipient of the blown call....

    So, from where I sit, the level of officiating hasn't really dropped off all that much. We're just quicker to point the blame finger because these guys are "replacement" refs. The NFL is right. The refs aren't the game. But the pundits are now going to try and make them the game.

    Caine
    I think Green Bay got screwed on the last call, but as you state, it's not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last. Regular or replacement officials.

    Some aspects of the replacement refs are refreshing, but overall, I think their ability to call a game is pretty poor. They really are lost out there and put a high level of unpredictability in the game. These are guys that couldn't hold jobs as officials in college. They don't know how to control the game, they are not garnering respect and it will continue to degrade the game. Whether it's right or not is irrelevant, players and coaches have deemed them idiots and it will continue to snowball.

    Perception has now taken over that these guys suck, I don't think there's any coming back from it. Whether it's all deserved or not.

    The owner's will probably concede on more issues at this point, but they won't be happy about it and will try to make it up in the long run. Be careful refs for using too much leverage against the guys who control the league.

  7. #17
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    629
    I have to agree with Caine here. The regular refs blew their fair share of calls too. Don't get me wrong, I think the replacement refs have been bad, and I was pissed at what was going on at the end of our game, but I think it seems much worse than it is because there's a huge spotlight on them and every call they make is being put under extra scrutiny. Plus people just love themselves some drama.

    The frequency of mistakes is higher, but what do you expect, they're "replacements". They're all rookies, if that, and look how long it takes rookie players to adjust to the speed of the game. Look at the '09 NFCC game, how long had those refs been in the league and look how terribly officiated that games was. Plus it was a championship game, so it was supposedly the best of the best too yet.

    As far as the bias goes, you have to admit, it does seem different. I don't think there's necessarily more or less bias going on, but teams that had it before (Packers) don't seem to have it now. You feel it every game. The Packers absolutely got screwed last night and it was one of the worst calls I've seen in a long time, but I LOVED IT! I just wish it took place in Lamebeau. Call it karma for all the undeserved calls that have gone their way over the years. And I must admit, I'm going to enjoy all the crying, booing, and drama coming from cheeseland this week.

    But the only mistake made on that call was the original call on the field. How many times have the Vikings been screwed by the "original call on the field" BS the past few years alone? The original call on the field prevents an overturn without conclusive evidence, even Jerry Austin (former official) said that last night. They can't overturn a possession call so it had to stand as a TD. If they had called it an INT on the field they couldn't have overturned it to a TD either.

    The only thing I'm not sure about is if they could have called a push-off on Tate after the review. They say everything about a play is under review when they go under the hood, so perhaps they could've come back and called PI on Tate? But blame the rule. I'm sure the ref knew it was an INT too when he was looking at it under the hood, but by rule, he couldn't overturn it.

  8. #18
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Agreed. I seem to remember a couple of non-calls for high low hits on a QB and then a phantom Pass Interference call significantly affecting the outcome of the NFC Championship game... but I don't remember seeing any Green Bay fans protesting outside Lambeau field after that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #19
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278
    The Vikings and Packers both got screwed by the refs on Sunday. The difference was the Vikings did enough earlier in the game to overcome the refs and the Packers didn't.
    Every team knows that if you leave it in the hands of the officials you might get ass raped.
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 09-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.

  10. #20
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Replacement Ref Admits Mistake

    Of course nobody mentions the shot that Mathews laid on Russell after he released the ball that could have easily been roughing the passer that would have negated the INT and given the hawks another shot 15 yards closer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •