Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Remembering the Old Met

GFAFB is still a tanker wing, but last I heard most of their planes were deployed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=45448.msg788161#msg788161 date=1212525183]
    Boy I miss that place. If we still played football outside like that I would have season tickets to this day. That place was typical Minnesota- Nothing fancy, exposed to the elements and a place where only the hardy felt comfortable.
    That would be great...all the pussys who whine about rain and cold weather in outdoor stadiums could sit at home and watch it comfortably from their living rooms.
    The rest of us "hardy folk"
    can be pretending to be warm and comfortable inside the stadium enjoying a fantastic game of football in the elements.
    ;D
    +1
    -1 ;D

All you "hardy folk" weren't hardy enough to fill a smaller stadium in the glory years of the Purple People Eaters.
    What on earth makes you think it would happen now?
    If you're not tough enough to watch a football game played in the elements, where it is supposed to be played, then it's a sad day indeed.
    The contolled climate people have money counting hands and would have a tough time eeking out an existence outside of their cubicles.

Could there be a worse situation than the metrodome?
    Crappy tailgating, marginal stadium, marginal and lackluster entertainment surrounding the stadium for pre- and post-activities.
    It's a bad venue all the way around.

It will probably end up being a retractable roof, although I'm not so sure how well that would function in the Minnesota climate when the freezing rains, subzero temps hit.
    I suppose they could hire Z to climb up there with a hair dryer to make sure all the parts function before closing the roof.
    Maybe something like they have in Dallas where the weather is invited in, but most of the fans are under cover.

I prefer taking the approach of sticking to the core of the foundations of the game, play outside.
    Let the economists whine and scream like the pansies they are.
    How many times were December games at the Old Met half empty?
    Especially if it was a poor opponent or a game that had little impact?
    And this was back in the day when the Vikings were a perennial power house and the only alternative was a shitty TV broadcast.
    Yet even then the majority of fans stayed away in bad weather.

The Met was a much worse venue that the Metrodome ever was.
    The only thing the Met had was tailgating.
    Everything else just plain sucked.

I guess I don't understand what gave some of you the right to decide what "true" football is and isn't.
    Why am I less of a fan just because I would rather have a roof in December?
    At least I go to games and support my team.

To imply that your choice of football venue is somehow a measure of your toughness, or that I or anyone else would have a tough time "eeking out an existence outside out cubicles" just becaue we prefer a roof is stupid and narrow minded.
    I am pretty sure that the time I spent "eeking out an existence" in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, etc are a better indicator of my fortitude than the comfort level I prefer when sitting in seats that cost me almost a grand each.
    How many times have you sat in a bunker in full chem gear while the Patriot missle batteries blew up Scuds overhead?
    I also spent three years in Fairbanks, AK, going through Arctic Survival school and teaching Air Base Defense.
    And while some of you were watching the 1998 NFC Championship from the comfort of your homes, I was watching it in a tent 26 miles south of the Iraqi border on AFN with a TV that we weren't supposed to have in county in the first place.
    My fire team was there supporting anti-terrorism operations during Desert Fox.
    When I was a cop, I've been shot at, pepper sprayed, bitten and spit on, all in the course of my duties.
    For two years I taught cops at Grand Forks AFB how to effectively use Pepper Spray, ASP batons, and close combat fighting.

Don't give me any of this shit about whining and screaming like a pansy.
    I've earned my right to be comfortable now.
    [/quote]

Well, there's always arena football. The seats are closer to the action and everything. Maybe Bon Jovi can hook you up with some tickets ;D ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=BloodyHorns82 link=topic=45448.msg788164#msg788164 date=1212525428]
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=45448.msg788161#msg788161 date=1212525183]
    Boy I miss that place. If we still played football outside like that I would have season tickets to this day. That place was typical Minnesota- Nothing fancy, exposed to the elements and a place where only the hardy felt comfortable.
    That would be great...all the pussys who whine about rain and cold weather in outdoor stadiums could sit at home and watch it comfortably from their living rooms.
    The rest of us "hardy folk"
    can be pretending to be warm and comfortable inside the stadium enjoying a fantastic game of football in the elements.
    ;D
    +1
    -1 ;D

All you "hardy folk" weren't hardy enough to fill a smaller stadium in the glory years of the Purple People Eaters.
    What on earth makes you think it would happen now?
    If you're not tough enough to watch a football game played in the elements, where it is supposed to be played, then it's a sad day indeed.
    The contolled climate people have money counting hands and would have a tough time eeking out an existence outside of their cubicles.

Could there be a worse situation than the metrodome?
    Crappy tailgating, marginal stadium, marginal and lackluster entertainment surrounding the stadium for pre- and post-activities.
    It's a bad venue all the way around.

It will probably end up being a retractable roof, although I'm not so sure how well that would function in the Minnesota climate when the freezing rains, subzero temps hit.
    I suppose they could hire Z to climb up there with a hair dryer to make sure all the parts function before closing the roof.
    Maybe something like they have in Dallas where the weather is invited in, but most of the fans are under cover.

I prefer taking the approach of sticking to the core of the foundations of the game, play outside.
    Let the economists whine and scream like the pansies they are.
    How many times were December games at the Old Met half empty?
    Especially if it was a poor opponent or a game that had little impact?
    And this was back in the day when the Vikings were a perennial power house and the only alternative was a poohie TV broadcast.
    Yet even then the majority of fans stayed away in bad weather.

The Met was a much worse venue that the Metrodome ever was.
    The only thing the Met had was tailgating.
    Everything else just plain sucked.

I guess I don't understand what gave some of you the right to decide what "true" football is and isn't.
    Why am I less of a fan just because I would rather have a roof in December?
    At least I go to games and support my team.

To imply that your choice of football venue is somehow a measure of your toughness, or that I or anyone else would have a tough time "eeking out an existence outside out cubicles" just becaue we prefer a roof is stupid and narrow minded.
    I am pretty sure that the time I spent "eeking out an existence" in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, etc are a better indicator of my fortitude than the comfort level I prefer when sitting in seats that cost me almost a grand each.
    How many times have you sat in a bunker in full chem gear while the Patriot missle batteries blew up Scuds overhead?
    I also spent three years in Fairbanks, AK, going through Arctic Survival school and teaching Air Base Defense.
    And while some of you were watching the 1998 NFC Championship from the comfort of your homes, I was watching it in a tent 26 miles south of the Iraqi border on AFN with a TV that we weren't supposed to have in county in the first place.
    My fire team was there supporting anti-terrorism operations during Desert Fox.
    When I was a cop, I've been shot at, pepper sprayed, bitten and spit on, all in the course of my duties.
    For two years I taught cops at Grand Forks AFB how to effectively use Pepper Spray, ASP batons, and close combat fighting.

Don't give me any of this pooh about whining and screaming like a pansy.
    I've earned my right to be comfortable now.
    [/quote]

Well, there's always arena football. The seats are closer to the action and everything. Maybe Bon Jovi can hook you up with some tickets ;D ;D
    [/quote]

LOL.
    Nicely played.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456