Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Remember

If they drove up his cost they must have had some interest or at least threw an offer out there or we wouldn't have had to beat it. If I were his agent I would have waited it out to see if anyone else made an offer too rather than just accepting the first offer we got from the team. That is how this stuff goes. Similarly Jennings and his agent are going to do what they can to get the Vikings and packers to drive up his salary. Yet if spiel man goes over value to sign him you will be happy yet you are pissed they did it with Loadholt.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Lol, got to say I`m enjoying it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    They tried to sign him during the season last year and nothing came of it. Most likely because Loadholt and his agent felt they could get more money if they waited until FA, and they were right. They took a gamble he wouldn't get hurt and won...nothing more nothing less.

I'm surprised people forget about that. There was bitching left and right that we were working on signing Loadholt and not Harvin.
    Yep, his agent did what he was paid to do and got him the best contract he could. Yeah, it was probably more than I would have liked them to pay but it kept the unit intact and will give continuity to the OL.Then maybe they can draft a guy to replace him in a year or two and we can cut his ass lol.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Can't really say Speilman is blowing it up. He tried to trade for a 30 something year old WR in Anquan yesterday, with his $6 million salary in tact. Doesn't scream rebuilding to me.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jessejames09 View Post
    Can't really say Speilman is blowing it up. He tried to trade for a 30 something year old WR in Anquan yesterday, with his $6 million salary in tact. Doesn't scream rebuilding to me.
    Tried to trade with a whopping 7th round pick! If he offers a 5th round, we have Boldin right now and still easily re-sign all of our other guys. Plus then draft who he wants. But he lowballed, as usual. That was not a serious offer.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    You don't know we have Boldin. He is at the end of his career, just won a SB, and from what I red he wasn't going to sign with a team that wasn't a serious contender. From your opinion of Ponder I am guessing that even with boldin we are not considered as serious of a contender as the niners. Correct?

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Tried to trade with a whopping 7th round pick! If he offers a 5th round, we have Boldin right now and still easily re-sign all of our other guys. Plus then draft who he wants. But he lowballed, as usual. That was not a serious offer.
    Spielman loves his 7th rounders...

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero

Antoine Winfield was working out at #Vikings HQ when he got cut today. Why? The price for Phil Loadholt rose.
    ---------------------------------------------

Well... looks like I told ya so. The Chicago Bears and Rick Spielman's ego cost us Antoine Winfield. Well played Rick. At least you kept that precious 6th round pick. If he figures out this bullshit with Load and Harvin LAST year.... we don't have any problems this year. Our cap number is way higher and Antoine Winfield is still in the building. You think Ted Thompson would have handled it this way? I don't.

UPDATE: chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins

Per @StribDW Antoine Winfield was at Winter Park working out when he was called upstairs and released in short, awkward conversation.
    Last edited by MulletMullitia; 03-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    I'm guessing Boldin would have retired if he was traded to Minnesota. He went to the NFC Champs, that is a easier pill to swallow. I highly doubt he would have come to a team like the Vikings who are in chaos and he would instantly be the #1 WR on this team with no help other than AD. Between Spielman, Ponder, and having second rate players at many positions, this place is becoming less and less desirable for any free agent or player that has options.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Back to 2006 when Childress was hired. We spent big time in FA and signed McKinney to a big contract. Got Chester Taylor, overspent on WR , later on added JA and then 4 years later all those contracts that were backloaded,as they usually are, came back to bite us as did the big FA signing of Brett at QB. All that spending instead of building through the draft put is in CAP hell and it has taken us a few years to get out of it plus we have had to go young to rebuild the roster.
    Other than the picks we gave up for JA, how do you figure signing FA's prevent us from building thru the draft?

We still had those draft picks and I don't recall forfeiting a single one of them because we signed Taylor, Favre, any other FA or re-signing McKinney.

In those 7 drafts we still had 52 picks.

We either didn't draft well with those picks or lost the good players to FA. In the 7 years preceding this one, only 7 of our draft picks that hit or would have hit FA are still with the team today.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast