Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Remember

Back to 2006 when Childress was hired. We spent big time in FA and signed McKinney to a big contract. Got Chester Taylor, overspent on WR , later on added JA and then 4 years later all those contracts that were backloaded,as they usually are, came back to bite us as did the big FA signing of Brett at QB. All that spending instead of building through the draft put is in CAP hell and it has taken us a few years to get out of it plus we have had to go young to rebuild the roster. Do you really want to go back into the mode of overspending in FA and setting ourselves up for CAP trouble a few years down the road when the new stadium opens up? Come on, at some point you have to understand that big time FA signings can work if the team is solid and if that player will help you get to the SB but we are not there yet.

If that doesn't work, thing back to the Walker trade if you are old enough to have lived through that and know that adding the player you want, even if you think we need it, probably won't give you what you think they will and they will cost you a player down the line that you could have had if you hadn't broken the bank in the past.

just sayin- Let things work themselves out and be glad we aren't Buffalo, who blew the bank on Mario last year and now cut their QB and are left with Tarvaris Jackson to resurrect the franchise.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Trying to think of all the crap this team has done will give me a migraine, because we all know they have screwed up much more then they have gotten things right.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    But We are even overpaying our own guys!.... We waited until the last possible second and then made Loadholt the #2 highest paid RT in the NFL. Do you think he is the 2nd best RT in the NFL? We can't even get the easy ones right.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    But We are even overpaying our own guys!.... We waited until the last possible second and then made Loadholt the #2 highest paid RT in the NFL. Do you think he is the 2nd best RT in the NFL? We can't even get the easy ones right.
    I know. He will be getting like $100K for each false start now. I like bringing him back, but not at that price. I am guessing that is the going rate for RT's now?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Remember

So you bitch that we don't overspend in one breath and then bitch that we do on the other. I am not sure how the team could possibly make you a happy fan in terms of personnel with that.

Do you thing Jennings is worth 10-12 million dollars? It isn't like he is a top 20 WR in the league. He was like the third or fourth best on the Packers behind Cobb, Nelson and jones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I know. He will be getting like $100K for each false start now. I like bringing him back, but not at that price. I am guessing that is the going rate for RT's now?
    On paper he is the 8th-10th best RT in terms of performance. I thought 5 million max would easily get it done. Which would have! If we had done this 3 days ago before the Bears ever had a chance to play us.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Back to 2006 when Childress was hired. We spent big time in FA and signed McKinney to a big contract. Got Chester Taylor, overspent on WR , later on added JA and then 4 years later all those contracts that were backloaded,as they usually are, came back to bite us as did the big FA signing of Brett at QB. All that spending instead of building through the draft put is in CAP hell and it has taken us a few years to get out of it plus we have had to go young to rebuild the roster. Do you really want to go back into the mode of overspending in FA and setting ourselves up for CAP trouble a few years down the road when the new stadium opens up? Come on, at some point you have to understand that big time FA signings can work if the team is solid and if that player will help you get to the SB but we are not there yet.

If that doesn't work, thing back to the Walker trade if you are old enough to have lived through that and know that adding the player you want, even if you think we need it, probably won't give you what you think they will and they will cost you a player down the line that you could have had if you hadn't broken the bank in the past.

just sayin- Let things work themselves out and be glad we aren't Buffalo, who blew the bank on Mario last year and now cut their QB and are left with Tarvaris Jackson to resurrect the franchise.
    Wisdom 101 brother !

Blog Entries
    So you bitch that we don't overspend in one breath and then bitch that we do on the other. I am not sure how the team could possibly make you a happy fan in terms of personnel with that.

Do you thing Jennings is worth 10-12 million dollars? It isn't like he is a top 20 WR in the league. He was like the third or fourth best on the Packers behind Cobb, Nelson and jones.
    When he tried to come back from a groin injury? Yeah he had a bad year. And he had a problem with his knee. That doesn't change the fact that he's a all star when he's healthy. Runs better routes than almost anyone in the NFL. Provides leadership and professionalism. Does James Jones do that? Didn't think so. Anyone that has the success that he's had in our division has my total respect. Period. Is he Randy Moss for us? No. But he could be Reggie Wayne!

Spend for very good players at positions of extreme need, like the WR position, and the DB positions. Jennings is worth 8-9 mil a year IMO. I really believe its down to GB and Minnesota for his services, and I won't be surprised if he signs here. I won't be surprised because I highly doubt that GB will offer him a long term deal that pays him as a #1 WR when they have all those other options that aren't making that kind of money and will be getting most of the playing time.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator

Just a guess; maybe he doesn't like any move made by Spielman !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast