Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Release worked out for Koren Robinson

[size=18px]Super Bowl: Release worked out for Robinson, Seahawks[/size]

The Vikings' Koren Robinson isn't part of Seattle's Super Bowl, but his departure was mutually beneficial.

Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: January 31, 2006 – 6:57 AM

DETROIT - Koren Robinson was there last week when Seattle beat Carolina to reach the Super Bowl for the first time in its 30-year history.
    Under normal circumstances, he would have been playing for the Seahawks, possibly leading them in receiving. He'd also be here this week, living the dream of every NFL player.

But Robinson's life has been anything but normal in recent years. Alcohol abuse landed him on the wrong side of the league and the Seahawks last season.

Yeah, he's getting it back together as a Pro Bowl kick returner with the Vikings. But it took the Seahawks giving up on him first. More specifically, it took Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren giving up on him for the betterment of the Seahawks as a whole.

The two men ran into each other after the Carolina game. They exchanged some kind words, and then Holmgren did what a father would do to his wayward child.

"I gave him a big hug," Holmgren said. "He seems to be doing pretty good. That's my prayer for him, but we had to let him go, and he got a fresh start in Minnesota. I hope it works for him."

If Robinson needs further reminding that alcohol damaged his life, he needs to look no further than Detroit and Sunday's Super Bowl XL. The immensely talented ninth overall pick by Seattle in 2001 could be here -- no, should be here -- if only he hadn't messed up so terribly so many different times off the field in his four seasons with the Seahawks.

So now, rather than Robinson enjoying Super Bowl week, it's the blue-collar former Super Bowl winner Joe Jurevicius who is here instead. Needing depth at receiver, Seattle signed the eight-year veteran away from Tampa Bay in free agency. It turned out to be one of the best signings of the year as Jurevicius bounced back from injuries in 2004 to post career highs in receptions (55) and touchdowns (10).

Robinson, meanwhile, spent 28 days in an alcohol rehabilitation facility in South Carolina. It was rock bottom after several incidents, including a four-game suspension by the league for violating the substance abuse policy, a two-game team suspension for continually missing meetings and, finally, an arrest for drunken driving last May.

"It was really an unfortunate situation when we had to let go of Koren," Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. "He was a really great player, tremendous talent and a really good kid. But as a team, you have to know that you can count on your teammates at all times, and Koren had some stuff going on that we as a team said that we have to sacrifice some talent to get guys that were going to be committed teammates and be held accountable. Joe Jurevicius is one of those guys."

Former Vikings coach Mike Tice took a chance on Robinson, calling him while he was in rehab and then signing him Sept. 6. Robinson eventually blossomed into the NFC's Pro Bowl kick returner and the team's best receiver by the end of the season.

Robinson has one more game to play this season, but, unfortunately for him, it won't come until next week in Hawaii.

Holmgren basically said he stood behind Robinson for as long as he could before his "off-the-field" problems became too much of a distraction. The suspensions simply weren't working.

"[Releasing Robinson] was difficult for me," Holmgren said. "I cared about the young man."

Holmgren said Robinson shouldn't be lumped in with the stereotypical modern athlete that gets into trouble off the field.

"I think he was a competitive guy who cared about his teammates and really wanted to win but just had some things he had to deal with off the field," Holmgren said. "He was never disrespectful or anything like that. He was very coachable."

Holmgren went on to explain how Jurevicius turned out to be better than those who advertised him as simply a possession receiver.

"There was a signing that really helped us," Holmgren said. "Now, we hope to sign Joe for a few more years."

The Super Bowl and more money. Just think. It could have been Robinson's story.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/215444.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Release worked out for Koren Robinson

Singer,

What is this, the rearly early edition of the mourning news?..

Mourning bud, your up early.

And I'm glad Seattle booted Koren, Because He's OURS......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Singer,

Morning Ned!

It's always delivered this early. There just hasn't been much new news.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

there was no way robinson was going to stay in seattle after what happen. and at th ebeginning of the season, more pople had us in the big game than anyone had the seahawks.
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Good one, singer!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Singer,

I couldn't agree more Ned.

I am glad they released him, now he is turned around and he is OURS.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"I gave him a big hug," Holmgren said. "He seems to be doing pretty good. That's my prayer for him, but we had to let him go, and he got a fresh start in Minnesota. I hope it works for him."

If Robinson needs further reminding that alcohol damaged his life, he needs to look no further than Detroit and Sunday's Super Bowl XL. The immensely talented ninth overall pick by Seattle in 2001 could be here -- no, should be here -- if only he hadn't messed up so terribly so many different times off the field in his four seasons with the Seahawks.

So now, rather than Robinson enjoying Super Bowl week, it's the blue-collar former Super Bowl winner Joe Jurevicius who is here instead.
    That is almost enough to make a man want to start drinking.

With Robinson's luck, he deserves to be a Viking.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Super Bowl: Release worked out for Robinson, Seahawks[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/215444.html
    :scratch: hmmmm. Not really. They are playing in the Super Bowl and he is sitting at home but it worked out for the VIKINGS.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    That is almost enough to make a man want to start drinking.

With Robinson's luck, he deserves to be a Viking.

In addition to my statement, I would like to say that I would like to see K-Rob get a chance at the Superbowl soon and with us.

mewario is offline Starter

whoops, double post..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast