Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Regrets about Culpepper

No regrets...he wanted out...nuff said.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Even if the charges on him were dropped, the QB is usually the leader of the team. He needed to leave.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

I'd have regrets if it was management that forced him out, even if he still wanted to play for the Vikings. As it turns out, that wasn't the case, and he was acting like T.O. So good riddance, I say...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    Even if the charges on him were dropped, the QB is usually the leader of the team. He needed to leave.
    The boat incident had no bearing on my opinion of DC needing to leave.

If that were the case, the rest of them would have had to go as well. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:
    The Vikes once traded Tarkington only later on rejoin the Vikes and play in three Superbowls. I'm sure a day could come when the Vikes would re-sign Pep. That said, its not likely because Culpepper burned his bridges not only with the coaches, but also with management.

Gotta wonder if it was Foley trying to make room for Brees. It seems Foley ruffled his feathers in many different pots with many in the Vikings organization. Thoughts?
    I doubt it. Daunte did a 180 from the type of attitude he had & being the humble person he was.

Something or someone else pushed him to change almost overnight.

Was it the injury? His wife? We may never know.

IT WAS MINNESOTA NICE THAT PUSHED HIM OVER THE EDGE! LOL!

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

No matter what he does in the future -or doesn't do - I won't miss Daunte Culpepper.

After seeing the dabacle that was the first 7 games of last season, I am of the opinion that Daunte had gone as far as Daunte was going to go here. He never developed past the crutch point, and it showed last season. The amazing '04 season blinded many of us (myself included) to his flaws, but '05 brought them all back...and then some.

If he tears it up in Miami, oh well. That just means that the trade sparked something in Daunte which motivated him to live up to his potential...something that he wasn't willing to do here. And, if it happens, good for him.

More likely, he will coast. He will go in thinking that HE made it all happen in Minnesota and that HE can make it all happen in Miami. When that doesn't happen early, and his VERY fragile ego gets bruised, watch for him to self-destruct...year after year.

Caine

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Caine" wrote:
    No matter what he does in the future -or doesn't do - I won't miss Daunte Culpepper.

After seeing the dabacle that was the first 7 games of last season, I am of the opinion that Daunte had gone as far as Daunte was going to go here. He never developed past the crutch point, and it showed last season. The amazing '04 season blinded many of us (myself included) to his flaws, but '05 brought them all back...and then some.

If he tears it up in Miami, oh well. That just means that the trade sparked something in Daunte which motivated him to live up to his potential...something that he wasn't willing to do here. And, if it happens, good for him.

More likely, he will coast. He will go in thinking that HE made it all happen in Minnesota and that HE can make it all happen in Miami. When that doesn't happen early, and his VERY fragile ego gets bruised, watch for him to self-destruct...year after year.

Caine
    I never liked that QB coach we had & I think DC lacked some quality coaching at the QB level, especially in the mental side of the ball.

Perhaps he will get better coaching down there.

I also always wondered about the relationship between Daunte & Brad. I rarely saw the two of them on the sidelines together at all or Brad giving him any suggestions or pointers to improve his game.

People talk about Brad helping to groom both T-Jack & McMahon, but IMO, I don't think we'll see Brad doing a whole lot in that department.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple_Possum is offline Waterboy

I have to agree with singer, I don't think the coaching staff made much impact on his progress. I think alot of what we saw and didn't see was Daunte getting by on his natural abillity. He was one of my favorite players when he was here, but now that he's a Phin I really don't care what happens from here on out. I have never been a Dolphins fan. I he does well good for him. As for Brad Johnson, I don't think that he's a teacher. I think he's concentrated alot of his career to learning his game and keeping it sharp. There's nothing wrong with that. Leave the coaching to the coaches.

Del Rio Guest

I would have no regrets.

In order for that to happen he is going to need a lot of help. I think he reached his maximum potential here in Minnesota, who knows maybe the Dolphins can break through and get him to actually learn something. Maybe get him to do a little leading, and a little learning from his mistakes.

It all depends on Daunte. I think he could be a HOF qb, or he could countinue to be inconsistent and mistake prone. It's up to him and the way he wants to approach it. Having a coach like Saban and a solid QB coach could go a long way.

Mike Tice hurt Daunte a lot IMO.

twiztedfait is offline Starter

Mike Tice hurt Daunte a lot IMO.
    Very true.

If daunte goes back to his 2004 ways, good for him. If he sucks it up he is not playing to his potential. Either way I wish him the best. He just had nothing more to offer the vikes and we had nothing more to offer him.

It was better that we part ways.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast