UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Red sucks, here is why.

OK, I am from Utah, I don't live there. Red bashing has been VERY, VERY popular last year, or well, anyway. Why exactly is it everyone hates him. I really don't understand. Please do lucidly explain. Is it just cause he doesn't look like J.F.K? I mean, just Public Relations? Is it just because he is from out of MN? Is there a concrete arguement against him? This really makes me curious, and I hope you all will enlighten me. We are poised to be VERY GOOD this year. Is it just short sightedness? What is the deal?

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Red sucks, here is why.

I personally don't like Red. I'm impressed with what he has done so far this off season... but I think the talks of moving the team were just too much for me. He sounded like a spoiled brat. "if I don't get my way I'm moving your team!" waa waa.... like I've said before. I believe the players deserve a new stadium... they are the ones that play and pore their sweat blood tears and heart onto the field every sunday... red just sits in his little private box and pretends that he's the king of the world... if anyone has the right to whine about the stadium... its the players not red... and I've never heard any of them say that they wouldn't play unless we got a new stadium!

Alright that part was from a different thread... to add to it. I have never really felt that Red has the good of the team at heart. THIS off-season he has impressed me... kind of... Winfield was a great signing and I'm happy that we re-signed Jimmy. There is still more players that we need to sign... and I hope that its for good reasons that we haven't yet... but I'm still not convinced that its not because Red is a cheapo... I could care less where he is from... I could care less what he looks like. When he proves to me that he really cares about the MN VIKINGS... then I will stop bashing him. Until then I will remain to believe that this is just another way for him to make a buck.

Whether my opinions are correct or not... they are mine... and at this point... I don't think there is anything any one can say that would make me change my mind... Red is the only one that can do that at this point!

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Red sucks, here is why.

It is because the bastard keeps talking about movin our boys to Texas
    Selling to another state. For him it has nothing to do with loyalty, or
    whats right. Only how many greenbacks he stands to make.
    Simple Enough :?:
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

VIKE58 is offline Pro-Bowler

Red sucks, here is why.

I think the main thing that gets people mad is that he said he would move the VIKINGS out of MN. That is what made me mad :!: :angryfire: As a season ticket holder. I have a long enough drive to the games as it is. The VIKINGS belong in MN :!:
    GO VIKINGS GO !!!! AND THE PACK STILL BLOWS !!!!!!

Purplebleeder is offline Training Camp

Red sucks, here is why.

Here is my two cents worth - for the record I don't think Red sucks, but I can see why people do think that he does.

It has less to do with his looks, or where he lives. The number one reason in my opinion, is that he has publicly stated that if he does not get a stadium, then he would have to consider moving the team.

The number two reason would be that apart from this year, he has not exactly opened up his wallet to get the help we needed for the team - a sign that he was all about lining his own pocket and not really concerned with fielding a winning team.

These, I believe are the main reasons why he is hated. The cardinal sin he committed is to let people know that he would consider moving the team in order to make a profit. Moving a sports team out of MN is about as taboo as it gets.....we have been burned before and don't appreciate taking away the only good entertainment in the neverending winters!

Here is why I DON'T hate Red. First and foremost, he and ALL the owners are BUSINESSMEN first and football fans second. While us fans have no vested interest financially, Red and the rest of the owners do (the most extreme case is Snyder in Washington - he spends money recklessly trying to BUY a superbowl - fortunately market economics will soon catch up with his freespending ways with othing to show for it).

Secondly, Red is in the car business...they say a lot and deliver very little (personal history - my older brother is a car salesman, trust me on this!). I think if things don't go his way (i.e. Red does not MAKE a huge profit from this club) Red would CONSIDER moving the team. However, I don't see the Vikes moving - someone will pay Red what he wants, the legislature will kow tow to big business (spineless politicians always do to the almighty dollar bill) and the Vikes will stay right here in MN.

I don't look at Red as another fan - I look at him as a business owner and in business whatever it takes to make a profit is what the owners will do - we can get angry etc...the fact is for them its an investment - not a labor of love.

Although I don't HATE Red, I have not happy happy feelings for him either. Like I said, he is an owner - that in my books makes him a target for the fan's ire. And he makes enough money to be able to deal with that responsibility.

OK - All rambling aside - the legislature is working to get a stadium bills passed and this year Red HAS opened his wallet. The fact of the matter is, its the coaches and the players who have to gameplan and make the plays. We have always had either a great defence or a great offence....I can't recall (I have been a Vikes Fanatic since the late 80's) seeing a team with a great defence AND offence at the same time. This year may prove to be JUST that. The thing that I am concerned about is the special teams. No one has talked about them much other than the hiring of Bennett as the new punter. I hope Tillman (Rusty) can mould the crop of newbies into the fiercest hitters in the league.

I hope that gives you an insight into the "Red Bashing" around here. For the record, prior to Red owning the team, a consortium owned the Vikes. Think things are bad now? Anyone remember the "Brain Trust" dealing away our draft picks for Herschell "Bobsled" Walker? Enough said!
    A Viking Fan(atic)

Red sucks, here is why.

If they belong in MN, why don't you get the folks you vote for (and you did) to get a new stadium. Red, if he was just simply after money, he wouldn't have bought an NFL franchise. Somethings to think about. 1) He has more than enough money 2) He bought a luxury in the Vikings 3) He is no fool, you don't become a billionaire if you are a fool 4) if you DON'T want them and your legislature doesn't either, you dont' deserve them 5) If your bankroll took a very, very serious hit, YOU would move them too 6) In Utah the Jazz got their new arena with no problems, whether we wanted it or not. 7) MN is on Taglibue's list of places that NEED a new stadium. 8) Do you think his approach is better than Dan Snyders? Bet so. We are in contention, Wash. will not be for like the next decade.

Red sucks, here is why.

Sorry, Purplebleeder, your post hit while I was typing, bah. Good points, and well thought out. Ummm, mind you, Utah isn't MN, and Football isn't basketball, still....Larry H. Miller, the owner of the Jazz is oh yeah, a car salesman. The Jazz did make it to the championship, and Malone sucked. So it goes. The Jazz are a labor of love for Miller. BUT, have you ever read the story of the guy who moved the Browns? The Patriots have been to two superbowls in, what, three years being cheapskates, does Kraft not know what he is doing? I thank you both for your posts. This topic just intrigues me. I almost think if I were in MN, I would know, as an outsider, I just have to wonder.