Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikez06 is offline Starter

Red Mcombs should tell tice....

I think that Good old red should tell Mike tice before Detroit, that if he doesnt go 2-1 and make the playoffs that he will be gone. Since tice is a players coach the team would want him to stay, in return a sense of urgency to win. I think they would come out with a winning attitude and could possible win out. Like the whole Remember the titans movie. This is just my thought anyone else think this way?

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I don't think so..What you are saying is the team will win to keep Tice as the coach but not win to win the division and maybe go to the Super Bowl? You would think the playoffs and not have to be a wild card would be enough.

WWBGD

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

it won't matter...i think they know that they have to win to save his job....and more than that ...they don't want to go home..i'm sure they want to win...

well does it look as if they want to win the divison??
    not to me at least. I dont know maybe im wrong but... anyways tice has 2 weeks to get his act together becuase his contract is up after the Gb game...

"vikez06" wrote:
    well does it look as if they want to win the divison??
    not to me at least. I dont know maybe im wrong but... anyways tice has 2 weeks to get his act together becuase his contract is up after the Gb game...
    No it isn't, Red already pick up the 05 option already. I don't even think Red has the balls to tell Tice that he's fired.
    0fc1de3e4ff7ffe42e40bba70cebd90c

he has the 05 option i heard today red has 2 weeks to decide if he stays or not.... but ur right he doesnt have the balls... tice is a big boy

we need a player to step it up and become a leader for a damn change. Lets instill some fear into our opponents, do some trash talking, get a little cocky for christ's sake. I mean the status of a coach should not have to be motivation for grown men playing in the NFL. Someone needs to bring some emotion, on both sides of the ball...Moss and Culpepper need to learn how to lead the offense simultaneously instead of one or the other, and Winfield needs to bring some vocal energy to match his game when he comes back. At this point, its more about the will of the players than the coaches. Lets get em Vikes!

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

[/quote] No it isn't, Red already pick up the 05 option already. I don't even think Red has the balls to tell Tice that he's fired.

CHECK IT OUT POSTED TODAY AT ESPN.COM

For the past several months, Red McCombs has reiterated that he will wait until the 2004 season concludes before deciding whether to exercise the option on Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice's contract for the 2005 campaign.

Mike Tice

Turns out that the Vikings' owner doesn't have the luxury of waiting that long to determine the fate of his head coach.

Two league sources with knowledge of the contract confirmed on Tuesday for ESPN.com that McCombs must exercise the one-year option for 2005 by Jan. 1. That is significant, since the regular season does not end until Jan. 2, when the Vikings play at Washington. It is possible that Minnesota's playoff fate, likely a key element in Tice's future with the franchise, won't be determined until the outcome of that game with the Redskins.

The existence of the Jan. 1 date for exercising the option was first reported on Tuesday by the Star-Tribune of Minneapolis.

"Call it dumb luck, fate, good negotiating, whatever, but that [Jan. 1] date has become a real sticky [issue] for the Vikings," said one source, who has reviewed the contract. "It's basically a fre

e agency date for the coach. All this talk about, 'Well, we'll wait until the end of the season,' it's moot now. The contract language is basically unambiguous. Either they keep [Tice] by Jan. 1 or he can walk after the deal expires [on Jan. 31]."

This is the final "solid" season of the contract Tice signed after he replaced Dennis Green at the end of the 2001 campaign. But the contract allowed McCombs, at his discretion, to retain Tice for 2005, at a base salary of $1 million, by exercising the option. For months, it was believed that decision would not have to be made until the season officially ended, but the Jan. 1 date changes that and moves the decision on Tice's future forward.

If the option is not exercised, it will default, and Tice will become a coaching free agent at the end of next month. McCombs could exercise the option, and then fire Tice, but he would then owe the coach $800,000 of the $1 million base salary stipulated for 2005.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

If Red was smart he would not exercise Tice's option. He could then wait until the end of the year and see what the Vikes do. I don't think there is a strong market for Tice and if we lose him I am sure Red could find someone with Tice's coaching ability fairly easy. All not signing Tice means he becomes a free agaent and can seek employment elsewhere!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    If Red was smart he would not exercise Tice's option. He could then wait until the end of the year and see what the Vikes do. I don't think there is a strong market for Tice and if we lose him I am sure Red could find someone with Tice's coaching ability fairly easy. All not signing Tice means he becomes a free agaent and can seek employment elsewhere!!
    Tice's lawyer earned his money on that one!!!!!!!! That is a classic Dupe. They got Red on that one. It is bad for the fans either way.

Yeah, if you let him go that is like saying you are expendable. Wait for the playoffs to end and the renegociate. I bet it would be better for e Tice also. He would probably be able to double his salary for next year in a renegociation. Heck worst case scenario for him is to go be a assistant somewhere else for 500,000 to 1,000,000 with less stress and not have to put up with Dead in the Head RED!

Red will more than likely exercise the option even if he has to let him go later. 800,000 is peanuts or used cars however you want to look at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast