Thread: RED McCombs!!

RED McCombs!!

Red must be laughing his ass off right about now. Seeing as how he single handedly screewed the entire organiztion. He fucking screwed us again!!!!
    First not re-signing any of the staff, trading moss, letting Scottie go! Now people are wanting Tice's head, the franchise in ruins, and DC trade talks! Holy Shit that mother fucker is eating this shit up!
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: RED McCombs!!

I can gaurantee you he isn't "laughing" about f-ing the team up. McCombs' problem was that he ran it too much like a business, only worried about the bottom line and not giving a shit about the fans or the players/organization. He's not "laughing" at us cuz we're losing. I don't like the guy because he did screw us over, but that was only because he was a penny pinching idiot, not because he intentionally wanted to set us up to lose.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

No I think he did in some big way cost us this season and not by trading Moss.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Red, did say in preseason that this was still his team and that he was responsible for bringing these players here.

I think he said it because he thought we were going to be good and have a run at the superbowl.

But it is his team, the one that he raped and pillaged!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Red, did say in preseason that this was still his team and that he was responsible for bringing these players here.

I think he said it because he thought we were going to be good and have a run at the superbowl.

I would like to see that quote, frame it and send it to him as a Xmas gift.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"arialassault84" wrote:
    Red must be laughing his jiggly butt off right about now. Seeing as how he single handedly screewed the entire organiztion. He fricken screwed us again!!!!
    First not re-signing any of the staff, trading moss, letting Scottie go! Now people are wanting Tice's head, the franchise in ruins, and DC trade talks! Holy pooh that mother f&**&*&r is eating this pooh up!
    :shock: Reads like something you would see written at Harvard, eh?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

I would like to see that quote, frame it and send it to him as a Xmas gift.

You are on your own with the framing, but here is the article!

Vikings: McCombs clinging to bragging rights
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Sid Hartman: Governor acknowledges chance of Twins departure
    His pockets stuffed with a $354 million windfall, Red McCombs officially stepped down Tuesday as the Vikings owner -- but not before boasting that the 2005 Vikings are "my team" and suggesting he should be included in all requisite celebrations if the team wins the Super Bowl any time soon.

In a farewell conference call with Twin Cities reporters, McCombs also indicated he disagreed with the NFL's assessment of his original buyer -- Arizona entrepreneur Reggie Fowler -- but said he was at peace with Zygi Wilf's ascension into the lead role. Wilf and his investment group paid $600 million for the rights to a franchise McCombs bought for $246 million, but McCombs emphatically laid claim to bragging rights for the upcoming season.

"This year," McCombs said, "it will be my team. This will be my team, regardless of the fact that we're totally out of ownership. This will be my team. It's obvious we were involved in putting this team together, the staff that will run it and such. ... Each year, it will be a little less my team. But in my own mind, I will feel ownership of this team as we move on."

After rebuilding their defense during the offseason, the Vikings again are a trendy spring pick to reach the Super Bowl. McCombs said those who have made such projections "got it right," and left little doubt that he will seek credit for the Vikings' future accomplishments -- much as he did when the San Antonio Spurs won the 1999 NBA championship six years after he sold them.

"I would not have even a twinge of jealousy," McCombs said. "I would just have a great deal of pride. ... I couldn't get to a championship role with the Spurs. We got that shortly after. They were generous enough to invite me into all of the celebrations and gave me a ring, for which I was very grateful. I felt very much a part of it because most of the players and coaches that were there, I'd have had a big role with. So there would be no one that would feel any more sheer joy of the team doing well this year than me."

McCombs' comments Tuesday were his first since Wilf supplanted Fowler as the group's lead investor last month. McCombs said Fowler made him fully aware of plans to sell a portion of his company to meet NFL requirements for financial liquidity, and added he was "quite surprised" that Fowler's plan did not meet with NFL approval.

"I really believed in the 10 months that I spent working with Reggie," McCombs said, "that he could do what he set out to do. ... We were comfortable that it was liquid. We were quite surprised when others felt like it wasn't.

"Obviously there was a difference of opinion somewhere in there. I was not privy to how [NFL officials] arrived at their own concerns. I was just made aware that they had concerns. But that in and of itself is not too unusual, that well-informed and intentioned people can look at the same statement and see it differently."

Fowler has acknowledged that public attention on the transaction delayed his ability to liquefy assets, and he said last month that he sold the portion of his company only after exchanging places with Wilf. Regardless, McCombs congratulated Wilf during a Tuesday morning phone call and offered his support and guidance at any time.

When the season begins, McCombs will be watching with an eagle eye. He said he remains concerned about the team's placekicking and expressed doubt in coach Mike Tice's assertion that the Vikings will re-emphasize the running game.

"I don't think Mike's going to listen to me on what I think he should be doing," McCombs said, "but when you've got a quarterback like Daunte [Culpepper], who is right at the absolute peak of his career, and you have a receiving corps like we have here, I think we're going to see a lot of balls in the air. I'd be surprised if we didn't. I'd be disappointed if we didn't."

Tice said he spoke Monday with McCombs, thanking him for hiring him in 2002.

"I wish we could have won a championship for him, a division title," Tice said. "[But] those things are coming. As far as the new energy that the new group is bringing in, I think that's going to be exciting too. ... I think it's a good time for the Minnesota Vikings right now."

Kevin Seifert is at [email protected]
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.