Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Red had no choice

Before some of you guys get too happy with old Red for opening up the checkbook for winfield and Sass, you should go to VU and read one of the articles. The article explains how their is a league minimum salary for teams. The vikings still have to spend around $10 million on FA's this year(rookies aren't included in this $10 million) to meet the minimum team salary. Basically Red had no choice but to pay some guys way more money than he wants to. With the Vikings still having to spend $10 million, expect to see us get 1 more big name guy. I would expect it to be a LB, since DE is pretty weak in FA. Look for Gold, Dhani Jones, or Jason Gildon(if he is released on june 1st as expected) to be 3 very possible guys who could be wearing Purple and gold next year. But just realize that Red had no choice but to spend a lot of money in free agency this year, and that is more than likely the reason we have done what we have so far.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Red had no choice

I've been saying that for a while now...
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Hawgski is offline Pro-Bowler

Red had no choice

That is a very valid point, but I also feel that he has realized now is the time to go for it again. If we make a serious run at a championship, if not win the damn thing, this franchise is worth a lot more, AND it will be a lot easier in the stadium effort! His tough guy attitude of, I'll move the team and I'll sell to someone out of state, hasn't worked. So in turn, he is going to try wooing the fans, the media, and the congressional leaders. Bottom line is, he really doesn't care the way we do as fans, it is strictly business to him...HE IS A CAR GUY! Which is fine with me, Winfield was the guy most of us wanted anyway, we got him, and this has been a damn good start to FA.[8D]

sig courtesy of PPE

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Red had no choice

I knew the whole time he had to, but I feel he may actually stop being an ass and spend more than the minimum.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

Red had no choice

Obviously he had to spen the money but to spend so much on one guy is not a "cheap" move. No matter what he does we will hate him so why does this topic matter at all? The point is we added a "key" player to our D, which we really needed because our defense was crap last year no matter anybody says. As a whole it still needs more help on the d-line and LB, and we need a WR so "cheap" Red will open his pocket, no matter the reason to help the team get better.
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

Red had no choice

i had read that also. the fact for me is i don't CARE why red is spending the money, as long as he is doing it. forced to or not, he is improving the team, and that is a very good thing. here's to a great 2004!
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

VIKE58 is offline Pro-Bowler

Red had no choice

I read the artical also. And I agree I don't care why he did it at least he did it. And I still think we need a better Kicker!
    GO VIKINGS GO !!!! AND THE PACK STILL BLOWS !!!!!!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Red had no choice

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by amavikesfan

i had read that also. the fact for me is i don't CARE why red is spending the money, as long as he is doing it. forced to or not, he is improving the team, and that is a very good thing. here's to a great 2004!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    good point
    Here's to a great 04'!

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

ksvikesfan is offline Rookie

Red had no choice

I didn't know about Gildon possibly being released. He's been to a few pro bowls if I'm not mistaken.

Red had no choice

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VIKE58

I read the artical also. And I agree I don't care why he did it at least he did it. And I still think we need a better Kicker!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    matt stover from baltimore is a free agent. he's really accurate. what do you guys think?
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast