Thread: Red

adam31 is offline Waterboy

Red

I thought this was interesting about the Saints.
    Pioneer Press

Posted on Tue, Apr. 12, 2005

NHL might skip Olympics

CHARLEY WALTERS

Walter Bush, the former North Stars president who is chairman of USA Hockey and vice president of the International Ice Hockey Federation, said Monday that it might be too late for National Hockey League players to compete in the Olympics next February in Turin, Italy.

"Nothing's been decided, but I doubt that the NHL will play," he said. "Obviously, we'll field a team."

NHL players have competed for the United States in the past two Winter Olympics, in Salt Lake City (2002) and Nagano, Japan (1998).

"The (NHL) owners aren't going to want to give up two weeks after they gave up that whole year, and those are pretty prime dates," Bush said. "And it's going to be a strong Olympics because there are a lot of foreigners who I don't think are coming back to play in the NHL. I think they're going to stay over there and play either for Czechoslovakia or Russia or Sweden or Germany. So it's going to be difficult putting a competitive U.S. team together. We'll do our best, but it's not going to be easy.

"People say, 'Well, why don't you just get the University of Minnesota or get one of the colleges?' " he said. "But people aren't as good as everybody thinks right out of college."

Bush said 120 Americans were playing hockey in Europe before the NHL's labor lockout this year, and the United States won the bronze medal in the world championships with those caliber players, some of whom are playing in the American Hockey League.

"So they're good, and we'll find some goaltender who's hot," Bush said.

• The Twins, at $178 million, rank 29th among major league baseball's 30 franchises in value, according to Forbes magazine's new team valuations. The New York Yankees are No. 1 at $950 million. But the Twins have the fourth-best organizational talent in the game, while the Yankees rank No. 24, according to Baseball America.

• If Red McCombs still owns the Vikings when the NFL draft is held April 23, the team could trade down with its No. 7 overall pick rather than have to spend a bonus of about $13 million.

The Vikings spent all day Monday in draft meetings.

• Left-handed starter Francisco Liriano, whom the Twins acquired from San Francisco in the Joe Nathan-A.J. Pierzynski trade two years ago, could be pitching for the Twins in August if he fulfills his potential. Liriano, 22, had a no-hitter through five innings of his Opening Day start for Class AA New Britain against New Hampshire and ended up allowing two hits with six strikeouts in six innings.

Liriano's fastball averaged 94 mph and peaked at 97. He could turn out to be as prized as Nathan.

• Highly recruited Isaiah Dahlman, a junior at Braham High School, led the Howard Pulley Panthers in scoring during their three games in the Boo Williams AAU tournament last weekend in Hampton, Va. The team finished 1-2.

• Look for former Gophers pitcher Kerry Ligtenberg, released by Toronto in spring training, to sign this week with Arizona.

• Although the Masters performances of former Wayzata resident Tim Herron (tie for 11th) and former Alexandria resident Tom Lehman (tie for 13th) qualified them for next year's championship at Augusta National, a top-10 finish was required to earn Ryder Cup points. Still, the pair earned some nice contract bonuses, which are increased for major tournament play.

Lehman will take three weeks off before returning to the PGA Tour, and Herron is taking this week off before playing next week in Houston.

• Nearly three dozen members of the Twins' family who couldn't attend Bob Casey's recent funeral in Minneapolis because of spring training games attended a memorial service Monday at the Metrodome for the late public address announcer.

• The Twins are giving away 10,000 new Minnesota commemorative quarters at tonight's game against Detroit at the Metrodome. Kent Hrbek will represent the Twins at the state Capitol for a quarter ceremony today.

• Pssst: Don't believe reports that PGA Tour stars Phil Mickelson and Vijay Singh have reconciled their differences.

• Two former Twins first-round draft picks are off to impressive starts at Class A Fort Myers, which won its first four games. Center fielder Denard Span, the speediest player in the Twins' system, is hitting .375 and has scored six runs. Third baseman Matt Moses is hitting .417 and had two home runs with seven runs batted in during a doubleheader.

• The top five players on the Gophers men's golf team were able to attend last week's Masters practice round Monday at Augusta National because the collegiate tournament they were playing in near Augusta provided passes for participants. The Gophers, who won the 2002 NCAA championship, are ranked No. 14 nationally this spring.

• Former Gopher Jack Hannahan of St. Paul has a double in his first 11 at-bats for the Detroit Tigers' Class AAA Toledo Mud Hens and is batting .091.

• Word is Red McCombs, after he sells the Vikings, might try to buy the New Orleans Saints from fellow car dealer and pal Tom Benson and move them to his home city of San Antonio. After next season, Benson can get out of his Louisiana Superdome lease by paying $81 million.

• If Arizonan Reggie Fowler is unable to buy the Vikings, it wouldn't be surprising if Fowler's New York partners try to entice Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor to replace him as general partner.

Fowler apparently put up $10 million in earnest money for McCombs, and his partners put up another $10 million. It's unclear whether they would forfeit the cash if they can't close a deal with McCombs.

• Former North Stars President Walter Bush of Edina, emphatically denying a rumor Monday that he could be involved in a purchase of the Vikings: "I couldn't buy 1 percent for $5 million, and if I had the $5 million, I think I'd give it to charity first."

Bubba Jed is offline Starter

Re: Red

If Arizonan Reggie Fowler is unable to buy the Vikings, it wouldn't be surprising if Fowler's New York partners try to entice Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor to replace him as general partner.

This is nice to see.
    The Pack, the Pack, gonna smack the Pack.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Red

This would suck for my fellow Louisianians, though.

• Word is Red McCombs, after he sells the Vikings, might try to buy the New Orleans Saints from fellow car dealer and pal Tom Benson and move them to his home city of San Antonio. After next season, Benson can get out of his Louisiana Superdome lease by paying $81 million.

Red is an A$$HOLE!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE