Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Receivers blocking downfield for the run

Couple of things about WR's that like to block....

a. They learn to use thier hands and that helps them when they need to break press coverage.
    I think Rice and AA will still struggle with getting loose against the better Man-to-man CB's in the league but they will beat them as well as a result of learning how to use thier hands against NFL caliber CB's and S's.

b.
    CB/S's will see alot of tape of our WR's blocking and will always have that in the back of thier minds which will at times cause them to hesitate just a bit with respect to jamming so that they don't get taken out of a running play.
    This will help with the play action pass alot this year.

Again, Rice and AA are 2nd year WR's and probably aren't gonna be the stellar WR's alot of people on here seem to think they will.
    I am still of the opinion that most WR's take 3 years to get thier game together.
    Those 2 cats will be going into thier second year.

That equates to a assumption from me that a little bit of inconsistency is still to be expected of them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

a. They learn to use thier hands and that helps them when they need to break press coverage.
    I think Rice and AA will still struggle with getting loose against the better Man-to-man CB's in the league but they will beat them as well as a result of learning how to use thier hands against NFL caliber CB's and S's.

b.
    CB/S's will see alot of tape of our WR's blocking and will always have that in the back of thier minds which will at times cause them to hesitate just a bit with respect to jamming so that they don't get taken out of a running play.

Again, Rice and AA are 2nd year WR's and probably aren't gonna be the stellar WR's alot of people on here seem to think they will.
    I am still of the opinion that most WR's take 3 years to get thier game together.

That equates to a assumption from me that a little bit of inconsistency is still to be expected of them.
    But these guys are playing under the Kick Ass Coaching staff. That has to shave a year off anybodies development

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

b.

But these guys are playing under the Kick jiggly butt Coaching staff. That has to shave a year off anybodies development
    I think you are trying to be funny but you actually make a very great point.

I'm not sure it is the scheme that will get them ready but rather the approach of the staff to play the kids before they were ready.

I am 100% convinced the plan was to do that the first 2 years to figure out what they had and then fix the holes as needed via FA Vets that were about the same age of the draftees to form the team.

Now all they have to do is keep drafting the best talent available instead of reaching as we saw the last regime do to keep this team competitive for years to come.

Problem I see with this team is a big one though.
    The FO will have alot of players contracts come due at/around the same time.
    They are gonna have a hard time keeping a few of these cats.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

b.

But these guys are playing under the Kick jiggly butt Coaching staff. That has to shave a year off anybodies development

I'm not sure it is the scheme that will get them ready but rather the approach of the staff to play the kids before they were ready.

I am 100% convinced the plan was to do that the first 2 years to figure out what they had and then fix the holes as needed via FA Vets that were about the same age of the draftees to form the team.

Now all they have to do is keep drafting the best talent available instead of reaching as we saw the last regime do to keep this team competitive for years to come.

That and they also actually have to get the players to perform to theory on the field against opponents who will be trying to prevent them from doing it. they will have to play guys who they didn't intend to be there because of injury and they are going to have to be one step ahead of the opposition in terms of in game adjustments. That is going to take a big leap to get to that point from the paper they draw it up on.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

b.

That and they also actually have to get the players to perform to theory on the field against opponents who will be trying to prevent them from doing it. they will have to play guys who they didn't intend to be there because of injury and they are going to have to be one step ahead of the opposition in terms of in game adjustments. That is going to take a big leap to get to that point from the paper they draw it up on.
    I agree.

I keep looking but can't find it anymore, however, there was a article that quoted the Chiller were he described the necessity to coach the "Straight Line" to the players initially until they figured out what the primary objective was.
    Once that was achieved then the players would be able to figure out on thier own when to deviate from that "Straight Line".

My guess is we will see some of that deviation this year but really don't expect to the scheme exectuted to perfection until the 2009 season.

Still believe there is a bit of gelling to do with respect to guys that they added this year like BB, JA, SM-will etc and a couple of the youngsters like TJ, AA, Rice etc to really have the light all the way on.

Still, gonna be a fun year to watch as long as PUKER boy stays away.
    ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12