Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A reality check

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A reality check

"sabatajh" wrote:
    I mean when he took over he did say it was a 3 year project to get to the superbowl.....

Guess what tice its year 3.
    Now that I think about it, that is something a loser might say. No coach says that. It puts a limitation on your team and your expectations. That is a statement that you leave open ended with optimism. I don't remember the exact way it was stated but, that is a slight indication of the way Tice deals with things.

I personally don't think I can to a better job than Tice, but the truth is even in america, not everyone can be George W. or a Slick Willy. Some people are lucky and some people just have it. Tice may not be inclined with either option.

sabatajh is offline Rookie

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "sabatajh" wrote:
    I mean when he took over he did say it was a 3 year project to get to the superbowl.....

Now that I think about it, that is something a loser might say. No coach says that. It puts a limitation on your team and your expectations. That is a statement that you leave open ended with optimism. I don't remember the exact way it was stated but, that is a slight indication of the way Tice deals with things.

I personally don't think I can to a better job than Tice, but the truth is even in america, not everyone can be George W. or a Slick Willy. Some people are lucky and some people just have it. Tice may not be inclined with either option.

I wouldn't call that a loosers statment i call it setting realistic expectations. As much as us fans (myself included) would like to deny: when tice took over we were in a rebuilding stage.

Im not a huge tice supporter i just believe no matter who you put as head coach givin the same circumstances they will have equal results.

I agree a major function of coaching is teaching and direction.

but its hard to teach and make players believe somethin when you dont have the support of the owner why would the players believe you.

The more i think about it in a since tice was put into a situation destined for faliure.

How can you sell team/pride/heart when you have the lowest paid coaching staff, you structure signing bonus to meet the leauge salary cap minimum (not the other way around.) and you are trying to sell a team.

Im not making excuses just stating that it does come from the top down and tice aint at the top.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Reality is Tice MUST do a better job this year. That last 2 years have been a coaching failure as far as I am concerned.

If something happens once you are suppose to learn from it. If it happens again and you can't correct it, then you didn't learn from the first time. We blew 2 season in a row by melting down the stretch.
    I agree he must do a better job. I think he will. Not sure about "failure" though.
    He couldn't motivate the guys out of a slump. Last year, we backed into the playoffs. Once we got in we beat the pourous D of GB and then got embarrassed by Philly. No let me rephrase that. We embarrassed ourselves in Philly. We botched every aspect of that game and the Eagles had a lot of things going their way.
    Like someone else said, Coaches can't do it all.

And it's not an embarrasment when the oddsmakers choose you to lose, -and you do! Embarrassment was a few years ago in NY!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"sabatajh" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "sabatajh" wrote:

I wouldn't call that a loosers statment i call it setting realistic expectations. As much as us fans (myself included) would like to deny: when tice took over we were in a rebuilding stage.

Im not a huge tice supporter i just believe no matter who you put as head coach givin the same circumstances they will have equal results.

I agree a major function of coaching is teaching and direction.

but its hard to teach and make players believe somethin when you dont have the support of the owner why would the players believe you.

The more i think about it in a since tice was put into a situation destined for faliure.

How can you sell team/pride/heart when you have the lowest paid coaching staff, you structure signing bonus to meet the leauge salary cap minimum (not the other way around.) and you are trying to sell a team.

Im not making excuses just stating that it does come from the top down and tice aint at the top

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all that I'm trying to say.

[quote="sabatajh"]
    Tice is a good coach. You cant blame him for all of the past strugles.
    [quote]
    I paraphrased not quoted.

Tice is a smart guy and makes great reads and calls except when morality is required. That's where he loses control of the team. I first thought this when he lost control of the team in 2002 at Green Bay when guys ran on the field hit during the last play to beat up Packer players near the bench and then trashing the locker room afterwards. It continues today with superbowl ticket scalping. Did he make a thousand dollars on the deal when he earns a million as coach.

At least he can chew gum and coach at the same time!!

He is in a contract year so he wants to do well. Even if Vikings don't keep him he will get a job elsewhere.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I think, perhaps, we need a reality check.

Pat Williams, Smoot, Sharper, Nap, will all have huge impacts. Nate Burleson's rise will continue. Daunte Culpepper will still put up great numbers. Our O and D may both be top 10 for the first time in a long time.

Our coach is still named Mike Tice.

The Patriots don't win because they go out and make huge free agency splurges. They win because as long as Bill Belichick is anywhere near their sideline, they will be an amazing team.

Our coach still doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. We don't create Asante Samuels and Tom Bradys, because we don't have the coaching to do so. If Bill Belichick had Brian Williams he wouldn't have gone out and gotten Fred Smoot - he'd have made Brian Williams into the corner that would consistently play as he did when he shut down Terrell Owens.

Yeah, I have been on record as saying no matter how much talent we add to this team, Tice is not capable of coaching a super bowl caliber team.

But, I realize we are stuck with him for another year, so I will just hope and pray he wakes up one day and gets it.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I,m not sure its Tices fault.He is the same coach when they start out like gangbusters,as he is when they wilt.I think Red has played a huge part in the teams troubles.more so than anyone else.I dont care how good a coach you are.When you have defensive players like Ross or what was that guys name,sassawassa or something wierd like that your gonna suck!I don,t care if Jesus Christ is your head coach,Allah your offensive corodinator,and Budda as your defensive coach,If you don,t have the players,YOU WILL SUCK !! Hell we almost have a new owner (reds spending his money) Lets see what difference it makes... :salute:
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    Yeah, I have been on record as saying no matter how much talent we add to this team, Tice is not capable of coaching a super bowl caliber team.

But, I realize we are stuck with him for another year, so I will just hope and pray he wakes up one day and gets it.
    Me too ML4Smoot, and in this case, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong! I would be happy if the Tice supporters, would be able to say I told you so. This is an arguement that I don't want to win or be right on. I don't even want to be the one that says I told you so. I want someone to say it to me.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Pat Williams, Smoot, Sharper, Nap, will all have huge impacts. Nate Burleson's rise will continue. Daunte Culpepper will still put up great numbers. Our O and D may both be top 10 for the first time in a long time.

The Patriots don't win because they go out and make huge free agency splurges. They win because as long as Bill Belichick is anywhere near their sideline, they will be an amazing team.

Our coach still doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. We don't create Asante Samuels and Tom Bradys, because we don't have the coaching to do so. If Bill Belichick had Brian Williams he wouldn't have gone out and gotten Fred Smoot - he'd have made Brian Williams into the corner that would consistently play as he did when he shut down Terrell Owens.
    the defensive and offensive coordinators made bellicheck look better than he really is i don't know why people think he is such a great coach.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

XxS2TheEvoxX is offline Pro-Bowler

"collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:

the defensive and offensive coordinators made bellicheck look better than he really is i don't know why people think he is such a great coach.
    Perhaps 3 rings in 4 years... :wink:

Crennel and Weis both helped a lot, but Bellicheck is the man. Really, don't try to take anything away from him... I hate the Patriots, but Bellicheck is a great choach.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast