Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality Check.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Reality Check.

Following is a list of the coaching staff and their years of professional coaching experience, for the morons among us that would mean the number of years that somebody paid them for their expertise.

Brad Childress (32nd year coaching)

Leslie Frazier (24th year coaching, NFL player 1981-1986)

Darrell Bevell (15th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Brian Murphy (18th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Juney Barnett (8th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Eric Bieniemy (9th year coaching, NFL player 1991-1999, 4 yrs college player)

Karl Dunbar (6th year coaching, 4 yrs college ball)

Ryan Ficken (4th year coaching, 2 yrs volunteer coaching, 2 yrs college player)

Jim Hueber (26th year coaching)

Jeff Imamura (13th year coaching)

Jimmie Johnson (9th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Tom Kanavy (15th year coaching)

Derek Mason (16th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Pat Morris (34th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Fred Pagac (33rd year coaching, NFL player 1974-1976, 4 yrs college player)

Dennis Polian (5th year coaching)

Kevin Rogers (33rd year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Ryan Silverfield (11th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Diron Reynolds (16th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Kevin Stefanski (5th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

George Stewart (27th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Martin Streight (16th year coaching)

Chris White and Joe Woods’, information was not available on the website.

So, if you look at the coaching staff and ignore the other staff, there is a combined 375 years of professional coaching experience, many have also played college ball and some have played in the NFL.

I find it extremely entertaining that some punks on NFL message boards think they have it all figured out, especially in a post-game analysis, which is the easiest way to analyze a game.

Yes, people will whine and complain that the coaching staff doesn’t have a clue (I will join you depending on what happens in the playoffs), but, that doesn’t change the fact that everyone is an idiot.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Re:Reality Check.

This is very true.. experience lends a ton to calling and designing a game plan. There is no argument at all in that logic.

However, experience can and some times works directly against a coach or staff as well. Experience by itself means little unless the coach can use that experience yet be open enough to allow for adjustments to be made that might be outside of the coaches wheel house of comfort level of the past.

Here is where Chilly and Bevell struggle IMO.. I remember the vanilla offenses they ran in dominance at Wisconsin.. and sometimes I think they believe that in the NFL that recipe will be successful to vanilla up the offense and really do little to help the QB successful.

Hence why I am happy as shit that they locked up Chilly.. unless they get a QB that is already developed in the NFL style offenses they will return to form and so will the offense.. a one trick pony that will still have success yet game be game planned for and is predictable.

Much like the early season offense this season.. they used the pass minimally.. now there is a struggle between what this offense is and should be.. and at the wrong time if you are a Viking fan.. going into the playoffs.. listened to Brett's presser yesterday.. kind a fork twist into AP and the running game.. that the offense is a pass to open up the run type offense.. or should be.

Before Brett was signed.. some of us thought that Chilly would have his hands full keeping Brett in line and check.. and it is unraveling slowly but surely.. I think this experiment is a one and done type.. so hopefully the run is worth the upcoming questions coming in the offseason. Because it is coming.. like it or not.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

BTW... Green tinted idiot am I...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Prophet wrote:
    Following is a list of the coaching staff and their years of professional coaching experience, for the morons among us that would mean the number of years that somebody paid them for their expertise.

Brad Childress (32nd year coaching)

Leslie Frazier (24th year coaching, NFL player 1981-1986)

Darrell Bevell (15th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Brian Murphy (18th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Juney Barnett (8th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Eric Bieniemy (9th year coaching, NFL player 1991-1999, 4 yrs college player)

Karl Dunbar (6th year coaching, 4 yrs college ball)

Ryan Ficken (4th year coaching, 2 yrs volunteer coaching, 2 yrs college player)

Jim Hueber (26th year coaching)

Jeff Imamura (13th year coaching)

Jimmie Johnson (9th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Tom Kanavy (15th year coaching)

Derek Mason (16th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Pat Morris (34th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Fred Pagac (33rd year coaching, NFL player 1974-1976, 4 yrs college player)

Dennis Polian (5th year coaching)

Kevin Rogers (33rd year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Ryan Silverfield (11th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Diron Reynolds (16th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Kevin Stefanski (5th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

George Stewart (27th year coaching, 4 yrs college player)

Martin Streight (16th year coaching)

Chris White and Joe Woods’, information was not available on the website.

So, if you look at the coaching staff and ignore the other staff, there is a combined 375 years of professional coaching experience, many have also played college ball and some have played in the NFL.

I find it extremely entertaining that some punks on NFL message boards think they have it all figured out, especially in a post-game analysis, which is the easiest way to analyze a game.

Yes, people will whine and complain that the coaching staff doesn’t have a clue (I will join you depending on what happens in the playoffs), but, that doesn’t change the fact that everyone is an idiot.
    You're an idiot!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z wrote:
    This is very true.. experience lends a ton to calling and designing a game plan. There is no argument at all in that logic.

However, experience can and some times works directly against a coach or staff as well. Experience by itself means little unless the coach can use that experience yet be open enough to allow for adjustments to be made that might be outside of the coaches wheel house of comfort level of the past.

Here is where Chilly and Bevell struggle IMO.. I remember the vanilla offenses they ran in dominance at Wisconsin.. and sometimes I think they believe that in the NFL that recipe will be successful to vanilla up the offense and really do little to help the QB successful.

Hence why I am happy as shit that they locked up Chilly.. unless they get a QB that is already developed in the NFL style offenses they will return to form and so will the offense.. a one trick pony that will still have success yet game be game planned for and is predictable.

Much like the early season offense this season.. they used the pass minimally.. now there is a struggle between what this offense is and should be.. and at the wrong time if you are a Viking fan.. going into the playoffs.. listened to Brett's presser yesterday.. kind a fork twist into AP and the running game.. that the offense is a pass to open up the run type offense.. or should be.

Before Brett was signed.. some of us thought that Chilly would have his hands full keeping Brett in line and check.. and it is unraveling slowly but surely.. I think this experiment is a one and done type.. so hopefully the run is worth the upcoming questions coming in the offseason. Because it is coming.. like it or not.
    Yes, it is a fun soap opera. The way I see the offense is that the line was built to run the ball, run to setup the pass. Basic physics can prove that McKinnie and Loadholt are not meant for pass blocking against the quick DEs in the game. Then you bring in Favre who is a pass to set up the run type of guy and merge Chilly's and Favre's personalities there is a synergistic effect that can get ugly. Sure, that depends on the opponent, but, the philosophy of the coaching staff is not on par with the philosophy of the HOF field general. Both are hard-headed and Childress, shown by his cross-dressing forays, does not have enough balls to be the leader, or does he? We shall see.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

dfosterf is offline Coach

I'm gonna give Chilly some props.

I reflect back on some of his coaching decisions in the previous couple of years compared to what I have seen out of him this year. I think there is a lot of evidence that he has adapted very well to a different and more sophisticated offensive attack.

We Puker fans sort of "hung our hat" on the concept that, "Well, at least that Chilly/Major Dad/Col. Klink will screw things up" for the Vikes, no matter how much talent they bring to bear."

I don't feel that way anymore, sad to say. My perception is that Chilly employed a certain... more simplistic version of an offensive scheme when TJack was running the show. I truly believe he has wisely adapted to a Favre-run offense.

There were a lot of good things happening in that Bears Vikes game for Vikes fans, as hard as that thought is to accept. Everybody here wanted the Vikes to do precisely what they did in that 1st half, at least that's what was being said herein prior to kickoff. :P Some things didn't go the Vikes way, they adapted---quickly. Most of those play actions and dump-offs to your RBs were things of beauty in that 2nd half--perfect calls for the defense employed against you.

I never felt like Chilly was very good at adapting at halftime in the past...a bit of a "panicker". I don't think that is true any more.

I will not mind being wrong.

If you keep being rational you will be banned from these boards.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

My beef with Childress and his assistants, is in game planning and sometimes, lack of gametime adjustments.

Against Carolina McKinnie was left on an island against Peppers.
    Peppers had always owned McKinnie in the past.
    Coaches solution. Put the substitute Hicks on the same island.

No tight end help. No fullback to help most times.

Childress said in the post game presser they tried to slide the guard over to help a couple of times but he didn't get there.

Same story with Winfield covering Smith in that game. Where was the safety over the top?

Against Arizona Jared Allen was double teamed until he got tired. Then he was easily managed by the tackle alone.

Coaches answer. None.
    No moving him around. Little to no stunting. No substitution to get him fresh again.

Against the Bears we chose to kick the ball to Knox or Manning despite getting burned for big returns. That's bad coaching, not Longwells fault. C'Mon. Wheres the squib kick to someone slower?

All those years of coaching shouldn't trump common sense.
    Nor should one forget the opponents coaching staff also has years of experience.

It's not years of experience. It's talent.

How much talent does your coaching staff have?

I think we shall soon find out.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know. I think I want to trust playing experience over Childress. The Bears game was my reality check.

1hotchev is offline Training Camp

The realality check for me was the big meltdown at the end, even being a glass half empty guy, I was all in, one tough game, New Orleans, then were in the big dance. never mind... as far as the topic, I agree the monday morning quarterback seems to know all, I'll listen to him go on and on, and wonder how he can be so smart about football, from just watching the tv, yet sucks so bad at work and he's here 50 hrs. a week? I don't care how many years you have in your trade if you aint got it, you aint got it. Childress aint got it. tell me Gruden would not get a hell off alot more out of the underachieving Vikings.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast