Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality

Del Rio Guest

Reality

First of all I am an opinionated SOB, who thinks he is right all the time, but if someone shows me up I admit it, if I take something too far I honestly apologize. I am a smart ass, in real life too. The wife smacks me around a bit because I'm always zinging her. But here on the web all we have is words. Not tone, no laugh, nothing so if I say something that seems like I'm being a dick chances are I was being a smart ass. If you are a dick then yeah it probably isn't the first time some one told you.

Last year Ted Cotrell in an interview told the world he wanted to get back to the days of the purple people eaters. Right from the get go our season got rough on D we lost Irvin in a warm up incedent and Hovan began his spaz session and his production was weak.

The first few games I noticed the soft zone, but I was impressed by play of the line. I am a freak when it comes to the play of the positions I tape the games and focus on the line play and use it at my High School when we watch film. I have 2 screens one on the left one on the right one shows the Vikings, sometimes the Utah Utes, and the other shows my teams last game.

What I saw was good stuff. The line was doing it's job well even with Hovan in there the gaps were contained and the QB was getting pressured pretty consitantly. What was lacking was solid LB play. It was bad. So bad the LB coach was using some of it as examples of what not to do. Every game when they dropped into zone they did the 7 step drop and either flatened it out or turned to cover deep. That is standard I assume. They are supposed to know in their minds when they have reached the zone they are covering. They went to the same spots everytime.

This tells me they were supposed to be there. The corners would always play 8 yards back literally no lie. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY off the WR. All of you on here at that time saw that all of you mentioned it. So someone please tell me why is it that all the new people here are ragging on our CB's Safties and LBers when obviously they were not in a position to win? Granted the LB's missed a lot of tackles. But again IMO that falls on the coach to straighten that out.

I'm telling you right now you put Smoot in the CB position 8 yards off the ball he is going to get smoked. Just like Antione did when he was 8 yards back. When they played him up tight he was all over the WR and shut em down. My biggest hope is that Cotrell feels he has the players now to play a more aggressive D. IMO you should play that way regardless of who you have. It is a shame not to. That is all I mean when I say that these FA aren't the solution. There is something deeper and more basic that needs adjusting.

I'm glad they are a part of the team glad they are wearing purple and gold and I hope that the coaches can get the most out of them. But that was by no means reminicant of the days of old. Cotrell didn't even attempt to pressure the ball until towards the end of the season. Our current players are getting a bad rap.

Some people dog B.Williams, Chavous, and Russel and yet they are right up there with the team in tackles and knockdowns. Our safties got the shaft because they essentially had to turn into CB's because of the huge cushion and they couldn't focus on the run at all. The game is complex and needs all 11 players to be doing their jobs. But one can't do his job if he is worried about someone elses.

The best addition to this team IMO so far has the experience our young LB's have gotten and the addition of Nap. Harris he is coming in here with a chip on his shoulder. If you get the center hub of the D working well then the rest will be kosher baby. Above all else if Cotrell doesn't stick to his word and start playing smart aggressive defensive schemes it's going to be another bumpy season. And then what? I think we are running out of "mediocre" players to try and blame this on.

UMDTwinsfan is offline Rookie

Reality

you're totally right :salute: sorry if i post before thinking sometimes it's true smoot got me a little too excited maybe out of my head. I agree with you 100% about the cushion we play I'm jsut hoping that with the new people they're bringing in Pwill to stuff the run, and Nap Harris who seems like he was a good LB in the wrong position in Oak i guess i just assumed that cotrell would get more agressive, but i did fail to think about what if he doesnt switch to more man / press coverage. If we continue to play with the cushion we have in the past couple of years you are completely right it wouldnt matter if we had Champ Bailey , and Ty Law playing corner , because they aren't given the oppurtunity to prove that they can do their job very nice post :salute:
    Mike Tyson~ "My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."
    [img:01cfef02d5]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/MNTwins757/mine/Chrissfistattempt.jpg[/img:01cfef02d5]

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Reality

Del Rio posts another plank on his platform for President of the Reality club here at pp.org.

If Cottrell doesn't bring it this year, I am calling Tice and demanding he bring in Del Rio!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Reality

Good post Del Rio. I really enjoy reading these type of posts where somebody breaks down our schemes and explains so I can understand! Keep 'em coming!

vikingsdiva is offline Pro-Bowler

Reality

I have to agree ultravikingfan. Del Rio really does his homework. Impressive. Maybe you could condsider a coaching job for our vikes if this whole cottrell thing doesn't work out.
    Del Rio, I have a question for you. How do you feel about Cotrell possibly using a 3-4 defense occasionally? I welcome it like I do a flea flicker move.Once in awhile (to throw people off)would be nice.Especially if we could pick up Cody out of USC in the draft. Sorry if this has been hit on, but I'd really like your opinion.
    Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.
    --Joe Theismann

Del Rio Guest

Reality

From what I saw last year ultra was pretty basic. I'm no pro and I have no idea what kind of complex looks they get in the NFL but it was a very basic D.

Except for one thing. In the firts half You had your front four getting deep behind the line. And you had the rest dropping back giving a large amount of open space in the middle. In the second half you had tighter play by the LBers but the DB's were still back.

The only thing I can think is he said ok we are going to keep this basic, let the players make plays GREAT IDEA I love it!

But then we get burnt deep a few times because of PA and the everyone steps up. So he says no more of that we are going to play deep with the DB's and tight with the LB and Line. So of course the passes start getting behind the LB but ahead of the DB's in the 10-20 yard range. So now Cotrell says hell no drop the backers back LOL.

Then we get ate alive by the pass and run so in the second half he stuck with what gave us the best situation for each game weather it was holes in the 5-10 yard range if we were tackling good he would run this. Or holes in the 10-20 range. Just a weak weak system.

Of course he is a coach in the NFL and I am sure he knows what he is doing. But it looked bad to me. I hope this year he brings them all up and lets them play football.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Reality

I have a really hard time watching a game and really focusing on what each individual is doing or, lets say, our LB's as a whole. I am trying to pick a lot of this up and I really appreciate it when people make sensible posts (like you regardless of how basic it may be) rather than, "our lb's suck, they can't cover zone very good".

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

Reality

Didn't we run some 3-4 against the Skins?
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

Del Rio Guest

Reality

I do not recall ever setting up in a traditional 3-4. I do have film of the line shifting to an extreeme and having Udeze lined up in the B gap.

I also have film of K Will dropping back in coverage. But just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I filmed every game I had a chance to and I edited the specific parts on defense with our film editing software at the High School I didn't do the offense. Then I snipped out the stuff that really didn't pertain to my team. Funny though a lot of the mistakes the Pro's make are the same as the HS kids and it is great watching them see K-Will do a rip on one screen and see them doing the exact same thing on another.

Only problem is a lot of the boys on my team are Bronco fans, soooooooo we have a bet that if any one of them can beat me in one of our three main lifts. The Bench, The Squat, or the Clean then next year I have to do the same thing with Broncos and leave the Vikes out
    Liek I said I use college tapes too a lot of Nebraska (since we run their D) and the Utes. So maybe I will leave pro out all together.

It has worked for my guys we have all-state honors and a very solid D. I am working on a highlight film of the line last year when I get it done I'll let you guys know.

But I have a whole library of Viking games that are just defense the video lasts about 10 minutes is all lol. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I want to coach at a college level someday. But if I die a HS coach then so be it.

vikingsdiva is offline Pro-Bowler

Reality

And you say you're not a pro. Look where you took your team to.
    Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.
    --Joe Theismann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast