Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Real class Phillygirl

"PhillyGirl" wrote:
    I was at the game. Chanted the "asshole" chant to a few Vikings fans .
    [size=7px][/size]
    were you not the one upset at people calling you names
    on this board? I don't think there is anything fun about being
    called a "asshole" by a hundred hostile fans :scratch:
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

vikoles is offline Coordinator

Real class Phillygirl

TOLD ya all about Philly fans it is ashamed you cannot take kids to a pro sporting event w/out this crap! Just another sad sad sad commentary about humans and society BOTTOM LINE!
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"

The Gap is offline Starter

Real class Phillygirl

Again we have a condition blown out of proportion and then through the grapevine magnified to larger than life. PhillyGirl hit the nail on the head, it’s whisper down the lane at it’s best or should I say worst. As the story gets told and retold the extent of abuse grows. Abuse and stupid actions occur everywhere but when it occurs in a place with a reputation (like Philly) it gets retold and retold with a little exaggeration added in retelling. Snowballing and booing Santa took place like 40 years ago yet it gets retold like it was last week. From what I know it was a bad day and it occurred more as comic relif and or frustration over a season of dissapointment. It wasn’t like hey there’s Santa let’s get him. How many recent episodes have there been where half time rock star performances get booed? Everyone understands the reasons. Are fans whose team is losing at halftime suppose to get all happy at the appearance of Sheryl Crow? Would Santa make anyone happier? The main reason you don’t hear stories of Santa getting booed in other coties is because no one’s trotting Mr. Claus out at half time anyway. Especially during a loss. To hear the story you’d think Santa’s at every game and only booed in Philly. The stories and reports of fan abuse incidents are always accepted by outsiders as gospel. No need to find any validity. If I made up a story saying I was wearing a Minnesota Jersey and it was set on fire it would become fact in an instant. No one would check for reports of such an incident. I’m not suggesting the people described weren't subject to the things mentioned but without knowing the whole story it’s easy to just file it under typical Phila bad behavior. If they were verbally teased and they took offense and then started firing back it doesn’t take much to agitate the situation. There were more than a half dozen Minn. Fans in the section I sat Sunday and yes they were the subject of comments but everything I heard was just teasing and none of it escalated. The proponents dishing it out were doing it with laughter. No one was doused with beer or touched. The verbal barbs are nothing more than the type of comments thrown out in these forums. I don’t see a lot of love when members of these forums recognize you are dealing with a supporter of the other team here. If the target fires back don’t you join together and flame the subject? What about jackyl’s comment “City of Motherless Scum?” Anything nice in that? Would that not be inflamatory and in the right company insight retaliation? If someone goes too far they aren’t justified but you add to situations with agitation and in the face of typical behavior here I find it curious that it is crucfied when it’s from the other side. If you come up against a mean dog do you tease it? If you do are you surprised when the dog loses control? (go ahead use that to compare Philly fans to dogs). A few years back I went to New York’s Yankee stadium for an afternoon game but after arriving late due to traffic I couldn’t find parking. I asked a police officer where I should park and I was told all the lots were full so I’d have to park on the street. Then he added don’t get to far from the stadium or else they’ll strip your car. Needless to say after circling the stadium I left and drove back home. I had purchased tickets that were waiting at will call but I recognized the risk and acted appropriately. Would one consider Philly worse than that? What if I said what the hell and parked a few blocks away and as I walked away said to any locals I encountered if you touch that car I’ll kick your ass? Would the result have been don’t worry sir we’ll keep an eye on it and protect it for you? Common sense can recognize risky situations so if you want to visit a place that may be hostile what would happen if you left that visitor’s jersey at home? I know it’s a country of equal rights but does that mean you spit in the eye of the enemy? The fact is some people enjoy the conflict and with it don’t mind getting ammunition to support a bad reputation.
    The bottom line is the people of Philadelphia know how much of these stories is exagerated and what it’s really like for visitor’s. There is no need for us to prove or defend anything because it’s not our loss if outsiders choose not to visit. I know it adds to ones feeling of self-approval when you can identify a group you consider enemys as bad so have fun with your stories of horror in Philly. We won’t lose any sleep if outsiders don’t want to visit but you are limiting your horizons if you choose to lump any group together as undesirable.
    It’s sad when competition turns members of the same country against each other and that goes for Philadelphians as well as outsiders but it’s the way of the world. We didn’t have a civil war for nothing. That said I know nothing I’ve said here is going to change opinion’s or beliefs of closed minded individuals who feel attacks and reports on bad fan behavior somehow makes them a winner in defeat so enjoy your therapy it’s what you want.

Mr. O is offline Starter

Real class Phillygirl

First of all Gap (won't even touch that one), if I wanted to read a book, I would go to a library. Second of all, if I yell something at you and you yell something back at me, does that give me the right to throw something at you? Because, in essence, that is what you are saying. With your escalation excuse, you basically say it's okay to throw something at another person (or hit them, etc.) if they decide to retaliate to a verbal attack with a verbal response. Sounds like you are the close minded one, not everybody else.
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Real class Phillygirl

I think the outrage comes more from what happened to Chris Liwienski's family. If a PLAYER begs his own family NOT to wear his colors in an opponents stadium, there's a problem.

This doesn't mean that all - or even most - Eagles fans are jerks...just enough to keep the stories flowing.

What can you, as Eagles fans, do about it? Not much, really. Just "Be better". And, if by chance you stumble across an act of outrageousness being perpetrated upon an opposing teams fan, step up and step in.

I would/will/do.

As for that charity - I've already stated that I think that's a wonderful thing. But it only takes 1 "aww shiite" to erase 1000 "atta boys". After all, look at the way Moss gets handled by the media.

Caine

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Real class Phillygirl

"vikoles" wrote:
    TOLD ya all about Philly fans it is ashamed you cannot take kids to a pro sporting event w/out this crap! Just another sad sad sad commentary about humans and society BOTTOM LINE!
    True, I would hate to subject my children to that, even if I was a Philly fan.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Real class Phillygirl

"Caine" wrote:
    What can you, as Eagles fans, do about it? if by chance you stumble across an act of outrageousness being perpetrated upon an opposing teams fan, step up and step in.

I would/will/do.

Caine
    That's it exactly Caine. Good people don't have to put up with the conduct of a few bad people. I took my 10 year old daughter to a game, and the person next to her was very creative at using expletives. At least a dozen fans, including myself, "jumped" on him. Eventually he shut up and just cheered along with the rest of us.

My kids are huge Vikes fans, and I want them to be able to enjoy going to a game with their dad. It's only enjoyable when the surrounding fans are civilized.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Real class Phillygirl

"SKOL" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    What can you, as Eagles fans, do about it? if by chance you stumble across an act of outrageousness being perpetrated upon an opposing teams fan, step up and step in.

I would/will/do.

Caine
    That's it exactly Caine. Good people don't have to put up with the conduct of a few bad people. I took my 10 year old daughter to a game, and the person next to her was very creative at using expletives. At least a dozen fans, including myself, jumped on him. Eventually he shut up and just cheered along with the rest of us.

My kids are huge Vikes fans, and I want them to be able to enjoy going to a game with their dad. It's only enjoyable when the surrounding fans are civilized.
    And THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how it is done.

:cheers:

Caine

The Gap is offline Starter

Real class Phillygirl

First off thank you for the compliment unfortunately in the real world 1000 words doesn’t qualify as a book.
    If your library has a lot of these 1000 word books I’d say it’s really the drugstore.
    Now judging by your response I suspect you forced yourself to get through my book anyway. Too bad you missed the point. Like I said “Nothing I’ve said here is going to change opinion’s or beliefs of closed minded individuals who feel attacks and reports on bad fan behavior somehow makes them a winner in defeat.” There’s no sense in trying to explain it any further but to sum up my thread I meant:
    1) Check your facts and the truth in what you read
    2) Don’t think it only happens in one place

No where did you read it’s justified to throw something, your confusing my explanation of what instigates bad behavior with approval. Maybe your resistance to reading anything longer than four sentences has restricted your brain from understanding what it’s reading

Mr. O is offline Starter

Real class Phillygirl

The book comment was facetious Gap, it was not meant to be taken personally, just a little good natured ribbing. I did understand what you were initially trying to say, but with your "spit in the eye of the enemy," question, I started to get the feeling you were almost justifying it in some way. Which led to my response. And I understand what you are saying that is does not just happen in one place, obiviously there are morons who try to ruin the fun for everyone else in almost every enivironment. But, most philly fans I know take pride in being the most abusive, and not just verbally. Many people have the same experience with these types of fans from philly, which is why it's not hard to believe the stories.
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast