COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Ready or not, Vikings end camp

[size=14pt]Ready or not, Vikings end camp[/size]
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/621248.html
    MANKATO - The Vikings will break training camp this morning with their No. 1 draft pick on injured reserve, a brewing competition for the No. 2 quarterback's job and the indefinite absence of their top receiver.

On the day the Vikings placed linebacker Chad Greenway on injured reserve, officially ending his rookie season, coach Brad Childress said that rookie Tarvaris Jackson will be the first quarterback off the bench Saturday night at Pittsburgh. Jackson has leapfrogged veteran Mike McMahon on the depth chart, at least temporarily, and will appear midway through the second quarter against the Steelers.

Childress, meanwhile, said he has "excused" receiver Koren Robinson from team functions after Tuesday's late-night arrest for drunken driving and fleeing police. In one form or another, momentum appears to be building for Robinson's permanent departure from the team.

The Vikings are awaiting word from the NFL, which could suspend Robinson for the season under its substance abuse policy. He could also face jail time if the arrest violated his probation stemming from a 2005 drunken driving incident in Washington's Kirkland County.

"I've kind of left it open-ended," Childress said. "I just thought it was best that he had a little down time."

Robinson currently counts against the Vikings' 84-man roster, and it is possible the Vikings will carry him at least until the Aug. 29 cutdown to 79 players. Final, 53-man rosters will be set Sept. 2.

Childress indicated he is in no rush to make a final decision on Robinson's fate -- perhaps allowing the NFL and/or the legal system to act first.

"I'm still collecting the facts," Childress said. "I don't want to be knee-jerk."

Childress declined to comment on news of a second training camp incident involving Robinson. Mankato police, responding to a complaint from another motorist, cited Robinson for driving without a valid Minnesota license just before midnight on Aug. 9. Curfew for players generally has been 11 p.m., but Childress said he has extended that curfew "a couple of different times" in this camp.

Childress did not say if Aug. 9 was one of those nights.

"That [incident] is really between Koren and myself," Childress said.

Robinson spent 28 days in a South Carolina rehabilitation center last summer to combat alcohol abuse, but Childress said he did not know what Robinson's plans are for the immediate future. Robinson's attorney, Joe Tamburino, would not say if Robinson planned to enter rehab.

"I can't talk about anything like that," Tamburino said. "Hopefully I'll be ready to give some statements in a month."

The Vikings had been enjoying a smooth and uncharacteristically quiet training camp before this week. Safety Tank Williams fractured his left kneecap Aug. 5, ending his season, but otherwise the Childress Era had started exactly the way the Vikings hoped: physical practices, a dearth of off-field incidents and quick assimilation of the new offensive and defensive schemes.

Greenway, however, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Monday's 16-13 loss to Oakland, and Robinson made national news by leading police on a 15-mile chase down U.S. Hwy. 169 the next day.

"We've dealt with two major injuries where we've lost players and now Koren," quarterback Brad Johnson said. "Those things happen, but the heartbeat keeps on moving. That's where we are as a franchise right now, and sometimes another player gets a chance to step up. So we'll see what happens, but we are definitely going to have to have some players step up."

Johnson's receiving corps now consists of two proven veterans, Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson. Second-year player Troy Williamson, already penciled in as a first-time starter, now will take on a greater load.

Childress downplayed the possibility of trading for a receiver -- Denver's Ashley Lelie and Oakland's Jerry Porter are available -- and said he will not sign a free-agent receiver just to add a body.

"I suppose everything is possible," Childress said. "There are costs involved. You have to decide whether that player is worth that cost. I know the names out there. But you've got to decide if that person is a fit."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ready or not, Vikings end camp

With Robinson excused, Vikings wrap up camp and move on
    DAVE CAMPBELL
    Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - Two key defensive players are already lost for the season. The troubled top receiver has been indefinitely excused for a well-publicized crime. The Minnesota Vikings are just trying to move on, as any other team would.

On their final full day of training camp, the Vikings expressed relief that the hard part of practicing is over and vowed to stay positive - realizing that they're in the NFL, where rosters are big, injuries happen all the time and so do off-the-field problems.

"We've got a lot of work to do," coach Brad Childress said after Thursday afternoon's workout, the summer's last activity at the Minnesota State University campus in Mankato open to the public or the media.

First, the organization must decide what to do with Koren Robinson, who was charged Wednesday in nearby Nicollet County with fleeing from police and drunken driving.

His status on the roster remains uncertain.

"I've excused him here. I've kind of left it open-ended," the coach said. "I just thought it was best that he had a little down time. ... I don't want to be knee-jerk. I want to make sure I've got facts, all the facts."

Denver's Ashley Lelie and Oakland's Jerry Porter are two proven receivers who are unhappy in their current situations. If the Vikings want more at the position, a trade is a possibility.

"I suppose everything is possible," Childress said. "There are costs involved. You have to decide whether that player is worth that cost. I know the names out there. But you've got to decide if that person is a fit. We continue to look and comb and savor who is there, who we think will be traded, who might come on the waiver wire. That's a nightly ritual."

Thinned depth at receiver, linebacker and safety, with Chad Greenway and Tank Williams on injured reserve, will make Saturday's preseason game at Pittsburgh more critical for players at those positions.

Kevin Kasper (ankle) is one receiver who won't play against the Steelers, after an impressive performance on kickoff returns in the last game against the Raiders. Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) is also out, creating an opportunity for Ciatrick Fason to establish himself as the top reserve behind Chester Taylor. Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson will play with the second team on Saturday, too, giving the raw rookie a chance to prove he can be the backup to Brad Johnson.

So the Vikings, after a mock game on Friday morning, will travel east to meet the Steelers without several players they were counting on for important contributions.

"You've got to keep guys going," receiver Marcus Robinson said. "I think guys are going to go anyway, because this is work for us. This is your job."

With a tenuous agreement to train in Mankato for the next two years, where they've summered since 1966, the Vikings prepared to break camp for possibly the final time in this college town. Of course, that's the way it's been now for the past several Augusts.

Childress, after his first experience, gave his endorsement of the environment.

"I love the facility. The proximity of everything has been great," he said.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

The Vikings ended camp early to go see SNAKES ON A PLANE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Del Rio Guest

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    The Vikings ended camp early to go see SNAKES ON A PLANE
    [img width=400 height=324]http://www.ianknox.net/wp-content/snakes.jpg[/img]