Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Re: Ready for an audible - Bevell to call plays

Well I am hoping this year when its 3rd and 12 we won't be calling a 5yrd dump off pass over the middle.
    I think Childress was too conservative in a lot of his play calling last year.
    You can argue that we didn't have the players or execution necessary for big plays however sometimes you have to call what you need and put it on the players to step up and make it happen.
    To call plays that have little chance of keeping the ball moving down the field in order to simply call a play that works is just too conservative.
    I hope to see a more aggressive offense from Bevel.

WWBGD

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    Where does it say he will call plays?

If it had a quote from Childress, that is one thing. But it says he might call plays. Which we have all known for a long time.
    There have been several articles in recent months with Childress stating that he will be relequishing some of the play calling duties.

Use the "ADVANCED SEARCH" & you will find them.
    The what?
    ;D

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    Well I am hoping this year when its 3rd and 12 we won't be calling a 5yrd dump off pass over the middle.
    You can argue that we didn't have the players or execution necessary for big plays however sometimes you have to call what you need and put it on the players to step up and make it happen.
    To call plays that have little chance of keeping the ball moving down the field in order to simply call a play that works is just too conservative.
    When you have pressure from onrushing linemen and linebackers, you don't have time to look downfield.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    When you have pressure from onrushing linemen and linebackers, you don't have time to look downfield.
    I guess we all hope that it is not that bad this year.

Man we looked lame last year on offense, mostly the passing.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

I'd rather see more emphasis on the "play-making" than the "play-calling". Every play that is drawn up is designed to go all the way if each player carries out his assignment.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I sure hope that this works out for us...both freeing time up for Childress to do more important things...and for Bevell to develop a good playcalling rapport with TJack and the offense!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

At this point I am much less concerned with who calls the plays than I am with who makes the adjustments in that little laminated sheet when what we have on there doesn't work.

I am also more concerned with the position coaches and their ability to put the players they are responsible for on the field prepared to do what they need to do.

If we get more discipline from the line, better timing between the QB and the WR's and coordination between the QB and the RB on handoffs, then I will be concerned if we are still losing, but until then who is calling the plays is much less relevant.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Here comes the kaka del rio card.........

Man, I'm getting tired of this whole "The Chiller Calls a Bad Game" rhetoric.

How in the hell can all of you even think that whoever it is behind the headset calling in the plays will change the overall game plan?

Comeon.
    Lets be real.
    Those little plastic sheets they have in their hands don't change automatically during the game.
    And if you have ever see one up close you will see (most teams) that they have plays on them for down and distance/given situations.

Face it my friends, if the towel boy called in the plays and the defense took away what they were trying to do, or the team false starts, or the WR doesn't get seperation, or the fricking sun doesn't shine quite right the play won't work.

gol 'darnit........

Venting complete.

maybe he kept looking at it upside down last year and was calling plays for the wrong scenario. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Here comes the kaka del rio card.........

Man, I'm getting tired of this whole "The Chiller Calls a Bad Game" rhetoric.

How in the hell can all of you even think that whoever it is behind the headset calling in the plays will change the overall game plan?

Comeon.
    Lets be real.
    Those little plastic sheets they have in their hands don't change automatically during the game.
    And if you have ever see one up close you will see (most teams) that they have plays on them for down and distance/given situations.

Face it my friends, if the towel boy called in the plays and the defense took away what they were trying to do, or the team false starts, or the WR doesn't get seperation, or the fricking sun doesn't shine quite right the play won't work.

gol 'darnit........

Venting complete.

maybe he kept looking at it upside down last year and was calling plays for the wrong scenario. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Damn.
    I bets that it.

You my friend, crack me up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Personal Opinion to follow.....no facts at all

It is my belief that the head coach should be aware of all that is going on, and making sure the strategy that has been laid out all week
    is being followed.
    Therefor, he should not be calling the plays.
    He simply has to much else to do.
    He should be working with both coordinators when the other unit is on the field, and listening to what is going on with the unit that is on the field.
    In addition, as much as I hate instant replay, there are times during the game he should be focusing on that, and not on what play to call.

If and when I ever make it to the NFL as a head coach, I give you my promise here and now, I will allow my coordinators to call the plays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast