Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The read option QB.

I know this isn't specifically Vikings related but it does have to do with both how we run our defense and the whole QB controversy about who we should draft if we need to do something next year.

Can someone who follows the X's and O's of college football more than me tell me a bit more about this whole read option thing? Specifically the thing that I am trying to figure out is the dynamic of the passing game in that offense and how it will impact the WR position for the teams that adopt it in the NFL.

Can anyone explain to me how the decision making in the read option offense impacts the read progression in multi WR sets? What I mean is do these QB's need to decide in a split second whether to throw the ball or run and thus limit themselves to a single read and if is isn't there then they run or is it that they are reading the defensive formation at the snap and deciding whether they have the right defensive formation to drop back in the pocket and go through all of the route progressions in order to make the proper throw?

Depending on the answer what does this mean for the WR position? Is it going to be as important to teams that draft the read option QB's to have great depth at the WR position? If a team does have great depth, will the players all be getting the chances to get the numbers they want in order to get a bigger contract when theirs is up? Do the 2nd and 3rd WR's need to be better blockers than WR's in order to be able to block more down field and give the primary guys better chances at making extra yards?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I know this isn't specifically Vikings related but it does have to do with both how we run our defense and the whole QB controversy about who we should draft if we need to do something next year.

Can someone who follows the X's and O's of college football more than me tell me a bit more about this whole read option thing? Specifically the thing that I am trying to figure out is the dynamic of the passing game in that offense and how it will impact the WR position for the teams that adopt it in the NFL.

Can anyone explain to me how the decision making in the read option offense impacts the read progression in multi WR sets? What I mean is do these QB's need to decide in a split second whether to throw the ball or run and thus limit themselves to a single read and if is isn't there then they run or is it that they are reading the defensive formation at the snap and deciding whether they have the right defensive formation to drop back in the pocket and go through all of the route progressions in order to make the proper throw?
    We ran a version of the read option in High School (the Veer, actually more of a triple-option than anything, but had alot of read-option elements), in our scheme, the QB would trust his linemen and WRs to block the correct person, and leave one guy unblocked, (Usually a DE, sometimes a DT depending on the play/direction). Depending on which way the DE/DT crashes would dictate whether the QB hands off or keeps it. Now, this is much different than the COllege version obviously, as ours was extremely run-heavy. Most plays had no pass option. However, in our scheme, the read-option pass plays were designed to get someone open in the flats, to make a corner in zone, or LB choose between attacking the QB rolling out, or cover the receiver/back/TE and let the QB run for yards. There were other routes, generally floods to that side at various depths, which would be later reads, but the first read is almost always a short run, if not there, and the QB doesn't see something immediately open, he'd take off.
    Depending on the answer what does this mean for the WR position? Is it going to be as important to teams that draft the read option QB's to have great depth at the WR position? If a team does have great depth, will the players all be getting the chances to get the numbers they want in order to get a bigger contract when theirs is up? Do the 2nd and 3rd WR's need to be better blockers than WR's in order to be able to block more down field and give the primary guys better chances at making extra yards?
    I would think you want good blocking WRs to make the read option work. Obviously they still need to catch, but look at Pittsburgh in the early 2000s, they were known for having the best run blockign WRs in the game. THey could still play receiver just fine, guys like Burress and Randle El. The scheme will depend on good downfield blocking to give the QB or RB a chance to make a play. Sometimes if a TE or slot receiver doesn't get a block on a Safety, the Safety could blow a play up in the backfield if he's comitting to the run.