Thread: Read Option

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Read Option

I think this team needs to implement a read option dynamic to this offense. It works great for other teams with a mobile QB and a potent rushing attack. We will never be a down the field team as we aren't connecting on passes thrown beyond 20 yards. Why not help both Ponder and Peterson by giving a read base option?

Thoughts?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anybody will take Ponder seriously as a read option QB.

All the guys that do it are exceptional athletes. Newton, VYoung, Tebow, Kaepernick. Ponder doesn't come close to any of those guys.

Lets stick with what works. Run the ball, complete short passes and take hte occasional shot. WE're not terribly talented, so work our way up. Concentrating on doing too much will send us backwards.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    I believe we have a read package already with Webb, but until we get a little better on what we are doing, I don't see putting Ponder in harms way running him as a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I don't think anybody will take Ponder seriously as a read option QB.

All the guys that do it are exceptional athletes. Newton, VYoung, Tebow, Kaepernick. Ponder doesn't come close to any of those guys.

Lets stick with what works. Run the ball, complete short passes and take hte occasional shot. WE're not terribly talented, so work our way up. Concentrating on doing too much will send us backwards.
    I believe Ponder is talented enough to run it. He's athletic enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTide View Post
    I believe we have a read package already with Webb, but until we get a little better on what we are doing, I don't see putting Ponder in harms way running him as a good option.
    The read option isn't only about him rushing. Last night most of the reads weren't QB runs, they were reads, pulled back and then passed.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Read Option

The read option in the NFL is a marginal option at best. Ask Elway what he thinks. Christian ain't Teblow or Cam. Bad idea IMO.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    I don't think Ponder has the durability for something like that.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleTide View Post
    And it was good not to see them throw him out there yesterday. As I saw Ponder get more and more into the grove, I kept saying to myself, don't throw Webb out there to mess things up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg