Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB Situation

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

RB Situation

Does anyone know exactly where the coaching staff is going with our Running back situation?

I dont mind the Chester Taylor sign this off season but is he really being brought in as our definate #1 back? He is an unproven back in the league and right now I view him as an average back, along the same lines as MeMo and Bennett. We dont need a stable of average backs, the running back by committee rarely works in the NFL and I really hope this is not the direction of the organization.

And has anyone heard anything about Onterrio Smith? I know he is a FA this year but have the Vikings and him been talking or has he been talking to any other teams?

I guess I am just looking for some clarifaction as to if the team has come out and said they are happy with the RB's they now have or if they are still considering taking a RB with our first pick in the draft?

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Prophet Guest

Re: RB Situation

As far as I know there is no word other than what we've heard in the past. Taylor is in, Bennett is gone, Memo is in, Onterrio Smith gets a chance (based on Wilf's acceptance speech), Fason & Echemandu are question marks. No info. in other words.

alberta_vike is offline Starter

I'd be surprised if they still took a RB with their first round pick. I think that between Taylor and Moore we are pretty good at running back. Both of them fit the WCO pretty well because they can make alot of receptions as well as running the ball well. I'm more worried about having a really good O-Line to block for them, and if Hutchinson is signed then the Vikes will look pretty good at that position too.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I think with this signing of Taylor, all arrows point to him being our starter. He is a very good WCO back, and that is what Childress is looking for.. He has alot of the same traits as Brian Westbrook, and a overall good fit for the new offense.

As far as Smith goes, I am just as much in the dark as everyone else is regarding him. All I know is that he is suspended until May 1, 2006, No team, including the Vikings can have contact with him regarding a contract until then. We are getting pretty crowded at this point with RB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades, or cuts..

Prophet Guest

The signing of Goodspeed as a proven blocker offers some clues to the labyrinth of secrecy too. I agree, the RB situation is probably under control unless a decent RB falls to #17 in the draft.

========================

The TE will be used more in this offense, no big surprise, but it will be fun to see

Added later, a little old but gives a little to go on rather than pure speculation.

================

KFFL
    Vikings | Kleinsasser could be productive in offense
    Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:43:28 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports that Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress feels that the offense could be productive for the tight end position, specifically TE Jim Kleinsasser. "I like his level of toughness," Childress said of Kleinsasser. "He's obviously proven that he can play on the line of scrimmage. There are all kinds of throws in this offense for tight ends. ... He surely has the ability to work zones. So I think he'll end elevating his game, and I think this would be a tight-end-friendly offense."

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikes have scheduled Henderson the full back from GB for a try out or meeting.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I think with this signing of Taylor, all arrows point to him being our starter. He is a very good WCO back, and that is what Childress is looking for.. He has alot of the same traits as Brian Westbrook, and a overall good fit for the new offense.

As far as Smith goes, I am just as much in the dark as everyone else is regarding him. All I know is that he is suspended until May 1, 2006, No team, including the Vikings can have contact with him regarding a contract until then. We are getting pretty crowded at this point with RB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see some trades, or cuts..
    Taylor will be our starter agreed .

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

wyorob is offline Starter

C'mon guys Taylor is not what we need, neither is any of the other backs we have. There has to be better out there for us ...Man it pisses me off!!

Thanks PurplePeopleEaters for the sig AWSOME!!

wyorob is offline Starter

Denny green went out and got some balance and stole James from anyone else, we have a lot to offer a good back why dont we get on it. Childres might be wishing daunte stays and use him as a running type QB like in Phili. This is not Phili damn it!!

Thanks PurplePeopleEaters for the sig AWSOME!!

alberta_vike is offline Starter

Denny green went out and got some balance and stole James from anyone else, we have a lot to offer a good back why dont we get on it. Childres might be wishing daunte stays and use him as a running type QB like in Phili. This is not Phili gol 'darnit it!!
    Since when did Denny Green doing something mean it was the right thing to do? Just because Taylor is not as big a name as James does not mean he can't be productive for us. We can't always sign the most recognized and expensive player on the market, and it would be stupid to do so when there are less expensive players that have just as much potential to do well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast