Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "sh01002" wrote:
    adding weight will add/create the back problems for sure
    but think about it.
    A LARGE Man, who is evidently strong enough to play the most physical game in the world, MIGHT have put on 10 lbs.
    He hurt himself during OTA's, which has minimal contact.
    People strain muscles and stuff like that, but I find it really hard to believe that a guy like him, hurt himself based on the fact that he is now MAYBE 10 lbs heavier.
    Hell, my weight goes up and down by 10 lbs every year.
    Goes up in the Fall/Winter, down in spring, Summer.
    I'd bulk up for football so I DON'T get hurt, then i get lazy and do nothing all winter/spring untill its time for football again.
    I have never hurt myself in a way that has to do with weight (I've hurt my shoulder, but that has to do with having a dislocating shoulder, not my weight)
    I kindof liken it to a backhoe......

    The boom/bucket are designed to handle X-amount of load and the hydrolic rams that move them around are rated the same.

    What happens if you put bigger rams on the boom?
    You will start to bend the steel/wear out the bushings/pivot joints because they are not designed to handle the extra load that the rams can now exert.

    Same same with an athlete.
    His skeleton (Boom) is designed to handle X-amount of loading.
    If you get over and above that loading you will start to see things breaking down.

    As Dig mentioned, stretching is key to an athlete as he bulks up.
    If he doesn't maintain flexibility as he adds strength and then throw in the extra loading, you will have problems.

    Anyway, hope that made sense.

    ;D
    Great analogy, my friend.

    But you also have to keep in mind that he added the weight over time. It's not an overnight thing like putting a new ram on a backhoe where one day it can push x amount, and the next x+x amount.

    He added 10 pounds of functional(lean mass) weight over an offseason. The human body is very adaptable, especially over the period of time he added this weight. I heard he trained boxing and some other martial arts, so I'm sure there was some stretching and flexibility training in there. These guys are basically paid to workout for half the year, they know what kind of training needs to be done to prevent injury, even while gaining weight.

    Hell, I grew 6 inches and gained 100 pounds in high school and suffered no injuries because of it.

    I think Ray's body can handle gaining 10 pounds in an offseason, especially with the way he trains. He just needs to take it easy in the gym for a week or so.

    Childress, asked if he's concerned that the injury might linger, said: "I'm not. Backs are kind of funny things. ... Like I said, I think he's overworked it a little bit. Whether it's raised its ugly head again, I don't know. It hasn't been an ongoing, ongoing thing."
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_9989821

  2. #42
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    "Mr" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "sh01002" wrote:
    adding weight will add/create the back problems for sure
    but think about it.
    A LARGE Man, who is evidently strong enough to play the most physical game in the world, MIGHT have put on 10 lbs.
    He hurt himself during OTA's, which has minimal contact.
    People strain muscles and stuff like that, but I find it really hard to believe that a guy like him, hurt himself based on the fact that he is now MAYBE 10 lbs heavier.
    Hell, my weight goes up and down by 10 lbs every year.
    Goes up in the Fall/Winter, down in spring, Summer.
    I'd bulk up for football so I DON'T get hurt, then i get lazy and do nothing all winter/spring untill its time for football again.
    I have never hurt myself in a way that has to do with weight (I've hurt my shoulder, but that has to do with having a dislocating shoulder, not my weight)
    I kindof liken it to a backhoe......

    The boom/bucket are designed to handle X-amount of load and the hydrolic rams that move them around are rated the same.

    What happens if you put bigger rams on the boom?
    You will start to bend the steel/wear out the bushings/pivot joints because they are not designed to handle the extra load that the rams can now exert.

    Same same with an athlete.
    His skeleton (Boom) is designed to handle X-amount of loading.
    If you get over and above that loading you will start to see things breaking down.

    As Dig mentioned, stretching is key to an athlete as he bulks up.
    If he doesn't maintain flexibility as he adds strength and then throw in the extra loading, you will have problems.

    Anyway, hope that made sense.

    ;D
    Great analogy, my friend.

    But you also have to keep in mind that he added the weight over time. It's not an overnight thing like putting a new ram on a backhoe where one day it can push x amount, and the next x+x amount.

    He added 10 pounds of functional(lean mass) weight over an offseason. The human body is very adaptable, especially over the period of time he added this weight. I heard he trained boxing and some other martial arts, so I'm sure there was some stretching and flexibility training in there. These guys are basically paid to workout for half the year, they know what kind of training needs to be done to prevent injury, even while gaining weight.

    Hell, I grew 6 inches and gained 100 pounds in high school and suffered no injuries because of it.

    I think Ray's body can handle gaining 10 pounds in an offseason, especially with the way he trains. He just needs to take it easy in the gym for a week or so.

    Childress, asked if he's concerned that the injury might linger, said: "I'm not. Backs are kind of funny things. ... Like I said, I think he's overworked it a little bit. Whether it's raised its ugly head again, I don't know. It hasn't been an ongoing, ongoing thing."
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_9989821
    Excellent points.
    I am sure you are right about the mass over time observation.
    Still, causes me to worry.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #43
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    Imagine if Ray Edwards was out the whole season or even the half of the season. We would be pretty much DOOMED cause we have no one elso to play at the left end position.

  4. #44
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    "HEY" wrote:
    Imagine if Ray Edwards was out the whole season or even the half of the season. We would be pretty much DOOMED cause we have no one elso to play at the left end position.
    Do the names Brian Robison and Jayme Mitchell ring a bell?


  5. #45
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    "Mr" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    Imagine if Ray Edwards was out the whole season or even the half of the season. We would be pretty much DOOMED cause we have no one elso to play at the left end position.
    Do the names Brian Robison and Jayme Mitchell ring a bell?

    Mr. A is right.
    It really doesn't matter who starts were/when as the DL concept employed by the staff is to rotate in and out based on down/distance/situation.

    If memory serves, Brian got 3 of his sacks from the LDE position and Mitchell did a damn good job against the run in the base DL.

    My guess is we won't see much drop off if one of the guys go down (ala Ray) as they will suck it up until he is healed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #46
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    I certainly hope that Ray can get back to playing full speed contact soon!!!

    My bigger worry, is that *knock on wood!!**knock on wood!!* *knock on wood!!*we have more injuries along the DL.
    Any team can be quickly brought to its knees with a rash of injuries along one position.
    Case in point, STL OL last year.
    Suddenly, no offense for the "greatest show on turf."

    Almost seems like there's some sort of curse on our DL for having one of the best, most remembered ones in NFL history.
    Maybe, the Vikes should do something Real Nice for our former Purple People Eaters and/or Randle and Doleman...?

    I mean really, Underwood, Udeze, James...and probably more.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #47
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    Imagine if Ray Edwards was out the whole season or even the half of the season. We would be pretty much DOOMED cause we have no one elso to play at the left end position.
    Do the names Brian Robison and Jayme Mitchell ring a bell?

    Mr. A is right.
    It really doesn't matter who starts were/when as the DL concept employed by the staff is to rotate in and out based on down/distance/situation.

    If memory serves, Brian got 3 of his sacks from the LDE position and Mitchell did a damn good job against the run in the base DL.

    My guess is we won't see much drop off if one of the guys go down (ala Ray) as they will suck it up until he is healed.
    Robison & Mitchell are both solid players


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  8. #48
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Ray Edwards suffers back injury

    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    Robison & Mitchell are both solid players
    And that is what I see happening with this team.
    We have some really good players at almost all positions that are backed up by young up and coming talent as well.

    Still gonna see some inconsistency at certain positions (QB, WR, CB, RT etc) because of thier youth/experience level but not as much as we saw in 2007 and a hell of alot less than we saw in 2006......

    From a big picture perspective, if they (the FO) keeps executing thier fielding plan I am very optimistic for this year as the last that we will see growing pains, but 2009/2010 however, is when I think we will see the grand plan in all its glory.

    Damn it is fun to watch this evolve even though it started out so rocky.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Cardinals' Gabe Watson Suffers Knee Injury in Treadmill Accident
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 06:28 PM
  2. Bills' TE Everett suffers neck injury
    By vikes_4_life_42 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
  3. Cadillac Williams suffers potentially career threating injury
    By DaVizzles in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 01:05 AM
  4. Falcons Coleman suffers serious knee injury
    By COJOMAY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 06:26 PM
  5. Japan's all-star speed eater suffers professional injury
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •