Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re: Ray Edwards return date

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Have we even heard the whole story on this?
    I never read if he was claiming is was accidental (supplement) or anything ???

Given the pressure he's provided this year, I'll have to give him another chance this time around!
    He may be the force needed to help balance out the experience edge that every other playoff QB will have against us.
    I do hope none of our other guys are on it.

NOT eligible for probowl huh?
    Is that new?
    Seems like Merriman played in it last year...?
    What I read following the incident was he claimed it was from a supplement he took which wasn't on the approved list.
    At least he owned up to it instead of going down the appeal route so many players do now days on these things.
    Supplement or not, purposeful or by mistake, the NFL is clear about which substances are approved.
    Players need to acknowledge they take a risk using other products.
    I feel the way he handled it is more then deserving of a second chance.
    He made a mistake, he owned up to it, he accepted the punishment without appeal (when'd that last happen?), let him join the team for the playoffs.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Keep in mind he fell to the 4th round because of character concerns. Personally I don't want to see him back on the squad.

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    Keep in mind he fell to the 4th round because of character concerns. Personally I don't want to see him back on the squad.
    That makes one of us.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    Whoa nelly, easy. No way we kick him off. Who honestly cares anymore? I don't. Plus, The supplement he took......was it steroids, or just not a company the NFL supports.... ala the Vitamin Water ad fines. Was he drinking Vitamin Water and they found out, or was it more serious like HGH?
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    Dude are you sick in the head or something? He's the best pass-rusher we got so far. No way we kick him off the team!!!

ALL DAY!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Braddock" wrote:
    "DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    Whoa nelly, easy. No way we kick him off. Who honestly cares anymore? I don't. Plus, The supplement he took......was it steroids, or just not a company the NFL supports.... ala the Vitamin Water ad fines. Was he drinking Vitamin Water and they found out, or was it more serious like HGH?
    It was an unapproved supplement, so somewhere in the middle.
    From the reports I read it was still a legal supplement, jsut not allowed by the NFL.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    It was an unapproved supplement, so somewhere in the middle.
    From the reports I read it was still a legal supplement, jsut not allowed by the NFL.
    This isn't like the Vitamin Water thing, which had nothing to do with banned substances and everything to do with advertising contracts.

In this case, Edwards took a banned performance enhancing drug and got caught.

What about the banned substances, legal supplements, and allowable supplments, etc.?
    Essentially, the NFL has two lists.
    One list is banned substances (pdf list). The banned substances are types of steroids, for example.

The second list is approved supplements (link).
    The approved supplements are specific brands of products, such as specific labels for creatine or whatever.
    The approved supplements are provided by reputable companies and have a 'goal post label.'
    These products are certified by the NFL as containing no banned substances and only including the ingredients on the label.

A product that isn't on the list of approved supplements doesn't necessarily contain banned substances and therefore is not necessarily prohibited by the NFL.
    But the league's policy is that you take those products at your own risk - they're not going to let you off the hook after a positive test because the supplement you took had a banned substance that wasn't listed in the ingredients.

So whatever
    Edwards took had some banned substance in it.
    He took steroids.
    His claim is that he did so unknowingly (e.g., he bought protein powder and the manufacturer mixed in a banned substance).
    That may be true or that may be just a lie.
    It doesn't really matter to the NFL.
    He's still going to get the same suspension.
    If it had been an approved supplement, the NFL would have tested his supply and, if it were tainted, he would have been off the hook.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12