Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

Re: Ray Edwards Replacement?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    well one would argue that the needs to improve his conditioning if he wants a fat new contract...
    Maybe, problem is, typically a LDE is about 280-290ish wereas a RDE is 260-275ish.
    Haven't checked lately but I think ole Ray added about as much as he could add to stand up to the pounding he takes on first and second downs.

Not sure that conditioning is a issue but rather, again, he isn't a typical LDE.
    I did see last week that Ole Leslie ran Jayme Mitchell out there on 1rst and 2nd (running downs) to give him a break.

Again, a rotation of that nature will allow him to get after the QB on passing downs.
    I noticed more of Jayme Mitchell out there... yet did Ray have any sacks or even qb hurries? against a rook nonetheless...
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    well one would argue that the needs to improve his conditioning if he wants a fat new contract...
    Maybe, problem is, typically a LDE is about 280-290ish wereas a RDE is 260-275ish.
    Haven't checked lately but I think ole Ray added about as much as he could add to stand up to the pounding he takes on first and second downs.

Not sure that conditioning is a issue but rather, again, he isn't a typical LDE.
    I did see last week that Ole Leslie ran Jayme Mitchell out there on 1rst and 2nd (running downs) to give him a break.

Again, a rotation of that nature will allow him to get after the QB on passing downs.
    I noticed more of Jayme Mitchell out there... yet did Ray have any sacks or even qb hurries? against a rook nonetheless...
    Not sure about that.
    Would have to check my game notes (I'm at work and they are at home) but there are more than just sacks and QB hurries when it comes to DE play, especially at that end.

Did you notice how many times he turned the running play back inside for help?
    He has been in the backfield alot on 1rst and 2nd downs this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:

Not sure about that.
    Would have to check my game notes (I'm at work and they are at home) but there are more than just sacks and QB hurries when it comes to DE play, especially at that end.

I have conceded he is rock solid at stopping the run, and wouldn't dispute that, its the pass rush that concerns me, if he were taking care of business against one-on-ones, then we could blitz our linebackers less, and not get gashed by every tight end in the league...

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:

Not sure about that.

I have conceded he is rock solid at stopping the run, and wouldn't dispute that, its the pass rush that concerns me, if he were taking care of business against one-on-ones, then we could blitz our linebackers less, and not get gashed by every tight end in the league...
    I hear ya my friend, and love this type of discussion, so pardon me if I go down a tangent based on your "One on Ones" point.....

RDE

NT

NT

LDE

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

Going on the assumption that we are in our base defense and they are in thier base offense (Lines only) how is it that we ever see "One on Ones?
    Then add to it what a typical Offense will do (TE over LDE) to help the RT?
    No way the LDE sees many one on ones my friend if some sort of Blitz package isn't employed.

S

S
    CB

CB

LB

LB

LB

RDE

NT

NT

LDE
    WR

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

FB

RB

Again, love these types of discussions.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=carta4eva link=topic=53703.msg1006242#msg1006242 date=1255873434]

Not sure about that.

I hear ya My Farvish Friend, and love this type of discussion, so pardon me if I go down a tangent based on your "One on Ones" point.....

RDE

NT

NT

LDE

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

Going on the assumption that we are in our base defense and they are in thier base offense (Lines only) how is it that we ever see "One on Ones?
    No way the LDE sees many one on ones My Farvish Friend if some sort of Blitz package isn't employed.

S

S
    CB

CB

LB

LB

LB

RDE

NT

NT

LDE
    WR

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

FB

RB

;D
    [/quote]

Your graphic befuddles me mainly because I don't think it takes into account that on almost any given play Kevin Williams eats up two of the interior linemen and Jerad Allen eats up the LT and a RB/FB/TE... I see Ray isolated on the RT more than I don't was all I was attempting to point out...

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=53703.msg1006243#msg1006243 date=1255873619]
    [quote author=carta4eva link=topic=53703.msg1006242#msg1006242 date=1255873434]

Not sure about that.

I hear ya My Farvish Friend, and love this type of discussion, so pardon me if I go down a tangent based on your "One on Ones" point.....

RDE

NT

NT

LDE

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

No way the LDE sees many one on ones My Farvish Friend if some sort of Blitz package isn't employed.

S

S
    CB

CB

LB

LB

LB

RDE

NT

NT

LDE
    WR

LT

LG

C

RG

RT

WR

QB

TE

FB

RB

;D
    [/quote]

Your graphic befuddles me mainly because I don't think it takes into account that on almost any given play Kevin Williams eats up two of the interior linemen and Jerad Allen eats up the LT and a RB/FB/TE... I see Ray isolated on the RT more than I don't was all I was attempting to point out...
    [/quote]
    Very good points.
    Wasn't going to get into the complexity of blocking schemes (on the offensive side of the ball).
    Having said that, however, typically the RDE will be chipped with either the FB or RB and the TE will stay on his side.

Long story short, depending on the blocking scheme they can and do take the RDE outside deep with just a T (JA gets caught upfield alot with only one Blocker on him) and help the G's with either the FB or the RB, again, leaving the TE over there to chip the LDE either for the whole play or before he goes into his route.

I had such a good time getting on my RDE/LDE soapbox again I thought I would go dig up some of our old threads/posts on the subject.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...c,49563.0.html

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...c,42971.0.html

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...c,50661.0.html

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...c,39894.0.html

What can I say, I'm 10 hours into a 12 hour shift and I am doing everything I can to stay awake.
    ;D

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345