Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Ray Edwards Replacement?

We tried to sign Kampman once, as some will remember. We had a deal with him & almost had him signed when he was a RFA (I believe) but the Packers matched the offer & kept him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"carta4eva" wrote:
    Rock, good OT's are rarely on the market... you don't think your front office will make every effort possible to keep Clifton, especially considering Rodgers is on pace to get sacked a near record amount of times???
    But like I said, he'll be in the same category as Runyan, Tauscher and Jones. All good tackles, but on the decline and, for some reason, not getting signed. Next to that, I'm pretty sure that Clifton, like Tauscher, wants to play out his career in Green Bay. He knows he won't get another huge payday.

He's 33 years old, he's gone through multiple knee injuries (Thanks, Sapp) and has been on the decline for the last few years.

I'm not saying that I don't want him back. He's the best option we have a LT now. But it's not like we have Thomas, Gross or Peters on the roster, who we will need to tag.

"singersp" wrote:
    We tried to sign Kampman once, as some will remember. We had a deal with him & almost had him signed when he was a RFA (I believe) but the Packers matched the offer & kept him.
    And you didn't even try to screw us over with one of your poison pills? That's a pleasent surprise.
    ;D
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    And you didn't even try to screw us over with one of your poison pills? That's a pleasent surprise.
    ;D
    If you want pills in WI, contact Johnny Jolly.
    :P

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

I think the FO is going to gauge T-Jack's market value and give him a fair deal, and let him compete for the starting job with Rosenfels and a Rookie next year, as for CT, he too is a free agent after this year
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    This is the list I found on KFFL. I am sure there are a few typos(sage) but it seems we have quite a few guys to get signed:

Pos
    Player Name
    FA Status
    Previous Team
    Current Team
    QB Tarvaris Jackson UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    QB Sage Rosenfels UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    RB Naufahu TahiNew player news! UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    RB Chester Taylor UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    TE Garrett Mills UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    OG Artis HicksNew player news! UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    C Ryan Cook UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    DL Ray EdwardsNew player news! UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    DL Fred Evans UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Charles Gordon UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Cedric GriffinNew player news! UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Karl Paymah UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Benny Sapp UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    CB Antoine Winfield UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent
    FS Eric Frampton RFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent

Who are you resigning and who are you letting go? Of the ones you let go, how much will their replacement cost us?
    outdated list my friend our corners are locked up for a while, and the rest of those guys should come relatively cheap...

"carta4eva" wrote:
    he is a free agent after this year, and the pack have to choose between him and Clifton to franchise, and given their O-Line issues I would think they would tag Clifton...
    No they don't. If it's an uncapped year teams will have a franchise tag, plus 2 transition tags.

[size=11pt]Three tags instead of one[/size]

Currently, a team can put either a franchise tag (average of the top five salaries at his position) or a transition tag (average of the top ten salaries at his position) on any one player on the club to protect the team from losing the unrestricted free agent. If the NFL gets to an uncapped year in 2010 and 2011, teams will have use of one franchise tag and two transition tags. So not only would none of the young players with less than six years of service be free, but now the top three players who are eligible for free agency on a roster can be protected.
    Plus free agency will require six years of service

1) free agency will require six years of service (instead of four years in 2010 and five years in 2011); 2) teams will have three tags to use to restrict free agents instead of one tag, as they do now; and 3) teams that go deep in the playoffs could have some spending restrictions.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

"singersp" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    he is a free agent after this year, and the pack have to choose between him and Clifton to franchise, and given their O-Line issues I would think they would tag Clifton...
    No they don't. If it's an uncapped year teams will have a franchise tag, plus 2 transition tags.

[size=11pt]Three tags instead of one[/size]

Currently, a team can put either a franchise tag (average of the top five salaries at his position) or a transition tag (average of the top ten salaries at his position) on any one player on the club to protect the team from losing the unrestricted free agent. If the NFL gets to an uncapped year in 2010 and 2011, teams will have use of one franchise tag and two transition tags. So not only would none of the young players with less than six years of service be free, but now the top three players who are eligible for free agency on a roster can be protected.
    Plus free agency will require six years of service

1) free agency will require six years of service (instead of four years in 2010 and five years in 2011); 2) teams will have three tags to use to restrict free agents instead of one tag, as they do now; and 3) teams that go deep in the playoffs could have some spending restrictions.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
    Transition tags are worthless because of the poison pill no?

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    sure dt si a bigger need with fat pat reaching his climax but it sure is nice to dream...
    We'll be investing in a QB at some point soon.
    DT will be a need soon.
    We have a good player there, not sure we can give up that high of a pick for a luxury.
    I for one am a believer in Mr. Jackson, he was getting exponentially better, and now is learning from one of the best of all-time, I'm sure a high draft pick will be spent on a young qb, but don't discount Jackson either... as far as Pat... he seems to have lost a step, and it won't be any better next year... we need to either fill that spot via free agency, or the draft, but it needs to be addressed.
    I hope he can be that guy, but I don't know whether he'll resign with us....
    We did pretty much burn our QBs and if I were them, I probably wouldn't be want to sign up for that train ride again (of course a trophy could change that).

I am also hoping we may have our answer at DT - or at least enough of an answer to allow us to develop a guy rather than drop a 1st/2nd to a guy who can step in and play.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Bring as many back as you possibly can and draft well. Why would people want to say goodbye to Ray or Leber? Sure an upgrade would be nice but they are damn good enough.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

We don't need a replacement. Ray Edwards is doing a nice job, not to mention Brian Robison who is one of the best backups to rotate in on passing downs. He is a hell of a pass rusher, and it doesn't hurt to be team mate with the best pass rusher in the league, Jared Allen.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast