Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ray Edwards Is Ready For The Ring

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091304
    I think alot of you under estimate Rays athletic ability. Heres a quick "How do you do".......How many of you would get in the ring with him.

Even though I a bit older, I still like to get into a good tussel every now and then (nothing better than getting hit and hitting back), but I sure wouldn't want to mess with him.
    You're also not a professionally trained boxer.

I don't doubt for a second that Ray Edwards has the potential to be fantastic boxer, but physical ability alone won't get you far in such a technical sport.

6'5" 265 NFL calibre athlete's don't find their way into boxing.

Right now I'm pretty confident that he'd kick your, my, and everyone else's ass on these boards(and 99% of society) but someone like Wladi or Vitali Klitschko, Sam Peter, even Shannon Briggs and James Toney would wipe the floor with him. Same goes for a lot of the kickboxing and MMA guys.

With several years of boxing specific training he could in all likelihood be great.

But the NFL is sure money for him and a lot of other guys in the league who could be competing at a high level(if not higher, see Ted Ginn Jr) in other sports.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think alot of you under estimate Rays athletic ability. Heres a quick "How do you do".......How many of you would get in the ring with him.

Even though I a bit older, I still like to get into a good tussel every now and then (nothing better than getting hit and hitting back), but I sure wouldn't want to mess with him.
    Ask the question this way:

Would you rather step into the ring Vs Ray Edwards or one of the top Heavyweight boxers in the world.

Framed like this I would take Ray just because my odds, while next to zip, would still be better than the alternative......

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

As much as boxing is about physical capabilities, it also is about technique. If he gets in the ring with anyone with experience, plain and simple, they probably been doing this their whole life and Ray doesn't have near as much familiarity with being in the ring. He needs to know how to protect himself becuz boxing is just as much about being on the defensive as it is about being offensive.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1091342

I don't doubt for a second that Ray Edwards has the potential to be fantastic boxer, but physical ability alone won't get you far in such a technical sport.

Right now I'm pretty confident that he'd kick your, my, and everyone else's ass on these boards(and 99% of society) but someone like Wladi or Vitali Klitschko, Sam Peter, even Shannon Briggs and James Toney would wipe the floor with him. Same goes for a lot of the kickboxing and MMA guys.

With several years of boxing specific training he could in all likelihood be great.

But the NFL is sure money for him and a lot of other guys in the league who could be competing at a high level(if not higher, see Ted Ginn Jr) in other sports.
    I agree with everything you said my friend.

I just feel that alot of people don't think Ray is that athletically talented.

Just the fact that he was in the top 5 for DE pressures, from the LDE spot, shows he is quick of foot, has upper body strenght and is very smart.

Mix that with some "Specialized" training required for boxing and I think he would do pretty good against most of the crop of boxers out there now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091347

Ask the question this way:

Would you rather step into the ring Vs Ray Edwards or one of the top Heavyweight boxers in the world.

Framed like this I would take Ray just because my odds, while next to zip, would still be better than the alternative......
    I hear ya on all counts.

Thing is, if you have "Fighting" in your system, sometimes it really doesn't matter how big or how good a cat is. You just get it in your head you want to "tussel" with him, just to see.

Back in the day, I liked to "See" alot. LOL, my hands are paying for it now.....:laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "oaklandzoo24" #1091351
    As much as boxing is about physical capabilities, it also is about technique. If he gets in the ring with anyone with experience, plain and simple, they probably been doing this their whole life and Ray doesn't have near as much familiarity with being in the ring. He needs to know how to protect himself becuz boxing is just as much about being on the defensive as it is about being offensive.
    Excellent point.

Just like all sports, the guys that do it at that level do it cause they are trained.

I am sure he will get some sort of training, but in the end, he will always be a bit behind the guys who have done it longer than he has.

Great post.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091353

Just the fact that he was in the top 5 for DE pressures, from the LDE spot, shows he is quick of foot, has upper body strenght and is very smart.

Mix that with some "Specialized" training required for boxing and I think he would do pretty good against most of the crop of boxers out there now.
    I'm not sure who would imply Ray isn't athletically gifted. I don't doubt his athletic ability...I simply have said he isn't as great of a DE as he thinks he is.

That said, as others have pointed out, a REAL Boxer would eat Ray's lunch for him. On the flip side, just being big and strong doesn't make you an NFL Defensive Lineman - Brock Lesnar showed that.

And, truth be told, I know guys half of Ray's size that could drop him like a bad habit.

I guess the point is that it's difficult to be great in multiple sports at THAT level. It's tough enough to be GOOD in one (Ask Jackson). That's why there are so few 2 sport athletes in the Pro's.

Caine

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1091372

I'm not sure who would imply Ray isn't athletically gifted. I don't doubt his athletic ability...I simply have said he isn't as great of a DE as he thinks he is.

That said, as others have pointed out, a REAL Boxer would eat Ray's lunch for him. On the flip side, just being big and strong doesn't make you an NFL Defensive Lineman - Brock Lesnar showed that.

And, truth be told, I know guys half of Ray's size that could drop him like a bad habit.

I guess the point is that it's difficult to be great in multiple sports at THAT level. It's tough enough to be GOOD in one (Ask Jackson). That's why there are so few 2 sport athletes in the Pro's.

Caine
    Have you seen him box? no, then how to do you know who could drop him?
    I don't know if he's any good or not. But I know he is an elite athlete, athletically very few boxers in the world would have an advantage against him. Go look at his combine numbers.
    We also know that for the past 2 years he has been trained by a boxing hall of fame coach,Emanuel Steward, who has trained many heavy weight champions in the past.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Steward
    "I think it's very, very realistic for him to have an impact in the heavyweight division," Steward said. "Ray is a natural boxer in terms of rhythm and coordination. But it's his speed that surprised me because he is such an extremely big guy. I didn't think a guy could be that big and that fast. I'm training with a lot of heavyweights now, and having worked with primarily all of the heavyweight champions of the last 15 years -- like Lennox Lewis, [Evander] Holyfield and the Klitschkos -- I was very surprised at how quickly Ray caught on to things. Of all these athletes from football and basketball, he is the best that I have ever worked with, almost what you would say is a natural."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6191367

When asked what has happened to the American heavyweight, boxing historian Bert Sugar typically offers the same response.

"The two best American heavyweights today are named Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher," Sugar has often said. "Unfortunately, they are both in the NFL."
    "To be effective in anything in life, you have to have attained a certain degree of confidence. So I would have Ray fighting very often, like once a month, to give him experience and get him comfortable fighting in any environment. With the proper training and regular fights, I would say in about 10 months he could be a serious threat to any middle-of-the-road or Class B heavyweight. Taking away guys like the Klitschkos and others who have Olympic gold medal experience, Ray would be a tough match for any heavyweight outside of the top 12 in the world."

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091376

Caine
    I don't know if he's any good or not. But I know he is an elite athlete, athletically very few boxers in the world would have an advantage against him. Go look at his combine numbers.
    We also know that for the past 2 years he has been trained by a boxing hall of fame coach,Emanuel Steward, who has trained many heavy weight champions in the past.
    "I think it's very, very realistic for him to have an impact in the heavyweight division," Steward said. "Ray is a natural boxer in terms of rhythm and coordination. But it's his speed that surprised me because he is such an extremely big guy. I didn't think a guy could be that big and that fast. I'm training with a lot of heavyweights now, and having worked with primarily all of the heavyweight champions of the last 15 years -- like Lennox Lewis, [Evander] Holyfield and the Klitschkos -- I was very surprised at how quickly Ray caught on to things. Of all these athletes from football and basketball, he is the best that I have ever worked with, almost what you would say is a natural."

When asked what has happened to the American heavyweight, boxing historian Bert Sugar typically offers the same response.

"The two best American heavyweights today are named Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher," Sugar has often said. "Unfortunately, they are both in the NFL."
    "To be effective in anything in life, you have to have attained a certain degree of confidence. So I would have Ray fighting very often, like once a month, to give him experience and get him comfortable fighting in any environment. With the proper training and regular fights, I would say in about 10 months he could be a serious threat to any middle-of-the-road or Class B heavyweight. Taking away guys like the Klitschkos and others who have Olympic gold medal experience, Ray would be a tough match for any heavyweight outside of the top 12 in the world."
    Now you want to sell Ray as the greatest thing since canned beer... Well, when he gets his first real bout, feel free to bet heavily on him.

The muscles for boxing and the muscles for Football are different. The striking techniques, the footwork, the conditioning, it's all different.

Maybe Ray IS the next best thing to cheese in a can.....but the more likely answer is that while he shows potential and promise, he hasn't spent YEARS training like most Pro Boxers have.

Finally, when I said I knew guys half his size who could drop him, I should have specified that I wasn't simply talking about boxing. My POINT was that size and athletic ability alone won't make it happen.

But feel free to get hyper-defensive again...

Caine

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1091385
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1091376

Caine

Now you want to sell Ray as the greatest thing since canned beer... Well, when he gets his first real bout, feel free to bet heavily on him.

The muscles for boxing and the muscles for Football are different. The striking techniques, the footwork, the conditioning, it's all different.

Maybe Ray IS the next best thing to cheese in a can.....but the more likely answer is that while he shows potential and promise, he hasn't spent YEARS training like most Pro Boxers have.

Finally, when I said I knew guys half his size who could drop him, I should have specified that I wasn't simply talking about boxing. My POINT was that size and athletic ability alone won't make it happen.

But feel free to get hyper-defensive again...

Caine
    I think I wrote "I don't know if he's any good or not". How is that selling him as the next best thing? Your the one who claimed to have some insight into his ability, not me. I see you now understand you were talking out your ass and have corrected yourself. Thank you.
    hyper sensitive, lol. Must be internet tough guy talk.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast