Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Ray Edwards Is Ready For The Ring

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096869
    Now you're talking out both sides of your ass.

Teams beef up the Left side of the O-Line because it is typically the QB's blind side.
    I quit reading right there. Again, you refuse to have a logical discussion about this, mostly cause you don't have a clue and that is a prime example.

Is it situationally dependant? Sure. I have never once said anything like it wasn't.

However,......

In our BASE DEFENSE (4-3).....which is matched up against a BASE OFFENSE(2-1 Set).....you don't fricken beef up the left side of the OLine.

Until you get that most basic of concepts, this is a discussion that cannot get into things like the situations you are trying to get to, and you know me, I'd love to graduate to things like odd and even sets on the DL and how it affects the placement of your Sam and Wil LB'r that in turn affects your secondary coverages like a cover 0, 1, 2, 4, 6 etc.

Overload the left side of the OLmine.....LOL. You crack me up.

HEY CAINE.....THE TE LINES UP ON THE LDE AND HELPS THE RT. A RB OR A FB CHIPS THE RDE AND HELPS THE LT if they help at all.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096871
    I can't keep up with your flip flops.

Caine
    I've given up trying. I now focus on disproving his wild accusations that come from both sides, as usually they are as elaborate as they are ridiculous.
    My flip flops. How in the heck can you track a flip flop when you are always wrong when it comes to understanding what I'm trying to say.

Like Caine, I think your just a bit confused and blame me for it. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096931

Teams beef up the Left side of the O-Line because it is typically the QB's blind side.
    I quit reading right there. Again, you refuse to have a logical discussion about this, mostly cause you don't have a clue and that is a prime example.

Is it situationally dependant? Sure. I have never once said anything like it wasn't.

However,......

In our BASE DEFENSE (4-3).....which is matched up against a BASE OFFENSE(2-1 Set).....you don't fricken beef up the left side of the OLine.

Until you get that most basic of concepts, this is a discussion that cannot get into things like the situations you are trying to get to, and you know me, I'd love to graduate to things like odd and even sets on the DL and how it affects the placement of your Sam and Wil LB'r that in turn affects your secondary coverages like a cover 0, 1, 2, 4, 6 etc.

HEY CAINE.....THE TE LINES UP ON THE LDE AND HELPS THE RT. A RB OR A FB CHIPS THE RDE AND HELPS THE LT if they help at all.
    When you said "beef up", I was sinmply thinking RT/LT...not the TE as well... The LT is typically bigger, stronger, etc because of the blind side issue.

However, now you're telling me that I'm full of shit? Really? Because a TE never lines up on the left side?

Riiiight...

I've seen Kleinsasser over there helping McKinney out plenty of times. He must have been a fullback then, huh?

Bullshit.

And now you want to limit the discussion to only the BASE formations? Sure, the majority of the time the TE is on the right (blocking the LDE), but what about flipped formations? What about 2 and 3 TE sets?

You want to take only one set of circumstances and make that the gospel for everything...but it isn't. There are no absolutes.

And understanding what you're trying to say is impossible when you keep trying to redefine everything you've said to mean something other than what you actually said...

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096996

However,......

When you said "beef up", I was sinmply thinking RT/LT...not the TE as well... The LT is typically bigger, stronger, etc because of the blind side issue.

However, now you're telling me that I'm full of shit? Really? Because a TE never lines up on the left side?

Riiiight...

I've seen Kleinsasser over there helping McKinney out plenty of times. He must have been a fullback then, huh?

Bullshit.

And now you want to limit the discussion to only the BASE formations? Sure, the majority of the time the TE is on the right (blocking the LDE), but what about flipped formations? What about 2 and 3 TE sets?

You want to take only one set of circumstances and make that the gospel for everything...but it isn't. There are no absolutes.

And understanding what you're trying to say is impossible when you keep trying to redefine everything you've said to mean something other than what you actually said...

Caine
    I'm not making it gospel, however, I have been pretty consistent when discussing Ray and Rob at LDE.

One does one thing in the BASE and the other does things based on situations.

Ray has done a fine job in the base, even though he is nothing more than a beefed up RDE playing out of position.

Rob cannot, nor will he ever, be able to handle that load.

Again, all my opinions based on what I've seen/listened to on TV/Radio, read in a paper/book or on a chat page.

Again, all discussion points centered on the base defense, which by the way, is lined up against a base offense that has a 2-1 set on the field.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

He is also ready to move to LA
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096999

However,......

Riiiight...

Bullshit.

Caine
    I'm not making it gospel, however, I have been pretty consistent when discussing Ray and Rob at LDE.

Ray has done a fine job in the base, even though he is nothing more than a beefed up RDE playing out of position.

Again, all my opinions based on what I've seen/listened to on TV/Radio, read in a paper/book or on a chat page.

Again, all discussion points centered on the base defense, which by the way, is lined up against a base offense that has a 2-1 set on the field.
    That's funny...considering that Aaron Kampman - 1 inch taller and about 5 lbs heavier than Brian - kicked ass at RDE...

Someone may want to tell Chris Clemmons (6'3", 254 lbs) that he's too small for LDE as well...after all, he's 5 lbs LIGHTER than Robison...

How about Derrick Burgess or Oooba-wooba-dooba (Osi Umenyiora)..aren't they both on the Left side?

So is Jason Babin (Ten), Adewale Ogunleye (Hou), and Chris Long (St. Louis)...all about Robison's height and weight.

Or is there another factor that prevents Robison from ever "handling the load" at LDE?

Caine

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1097078

However,......

Riiiight...

Bullshit.

Caine

That's funny...considering that Aaron Kampman - 1 inch taller and about 5 lbs heavier than Brian - kicked ass at RDE...

Someone may want to tell Chris Clemmons (6'3", 254 lbs) that he's too small for LDE as well...after all, he's 5 lbs LIGHTER than Robison...

How about Derrick Burgess or Oooba-wooba-dooba (Osi Umenyiora)..aren't they both on the Left side?

So is Jason Babin (Ten), Adewale Ogunleye (Hou), and Chris Long (St. Louis)...all about Robison's height and weight.

Or is there another factor that prevents Robison from ever "handling the load" at LDE?

Caine
    Just Marty's convoluted theories.:laugh:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096902
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096890
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096835
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096764
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096763
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096762
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096696
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096658
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096624
    Something to keep in mind is, Ray was tendered last year too. And before that he was in his rookie contract, which he got as a 4th round pick. Not exactly a huge deal.

He hasn't made money at the level of his production, which is not elite but far from 4th round money.
    Which is what people here are missing. Both drafted in 4th round.

Edwards:

2011: $2.8 mil
    2010: $2.5 mil
    2009: $1.1 mil
    2008: $549,000
    2007: $464,000
    2006: $373,000

Robison:

2011: $11.2 mil
    2010: $555,000
    2009: $586,000
    2008: $497,000
    2007: $406,000

If Edwards plays next year, his 6 year salary as a starter ($6.7 mil) is a little over half of what back up Robison will earn next year alone.

How Caine or anyone else believes Robison deserves a bigger salary than Edwards, based on their contribution to the Vikings thus far, is beyond me.

FYI, Julius Peppers had 8 sacks last year. Mario Williams had 1/2 sack more.

How much do you suppose they made? What are the odds their backups will get paid more?
    Back the truck up....

Show me where I EVER said that Edwards deserved less than Robison? Or, show me where I EVER stated that Robison was better, deserved more, or should be paid more than Edwards?

You can't, because I never said it. Just you putting words in my mouth again.

I said that Edwards whines too much, and that he has garnered little sympathy for his salary issues as a result. Care to dispute that?

I also said that Edwards is a GOOD DE, but not a GREAT one...and that he will probably not be worth as much as HE will think he is worth. Care to dispute THAT?

I don't mind being argued with. I don't mind being quoted. But if you're going to attribute beliefs, statements, or opinions to me, please make sure they are actually things I've said or expressed.

Caine
    I believe you did in fact express them & that's how it was interpreted.

You expressed before that Edwards didn't more money. It's also common knowledge that Edwards' big beef was he felt he deserved more money than his back up Robison.

Mr. A confronted you regarding that. Mr. A asked you, and I QUOTE:

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096581
    Then Robison shouldn't have been paid either, no?
    Robison's numbers improved...even with his limited reps.

Caine
    Your response, which I QUOTED, says to me that you feel backup Robison's big payday, a contract worth a lot more than Edwards' would have been paid, is deserved even with his limited reps.

I don't know how else you would interpret that. It pretty much states you believe Robison deserves that bigger salary of Edwards because Robison's numbers improved...even with his limited reps
    I think he meant that Robison deserved a contract because his numbers improved(which is not true) not that he deserves a bigger contract than Edwards.
    And the contract Caine said Robison deserved, happened to be a lot more than Edwards was offered.

Ergo, it's quite easy to assume that he felt Robison deserved to be paid more than Edwards.
    Ergo, don't assume...

Is it really that hard for you to say, "Ooops...I apologize, I was wrong"?

Further, this thread, and my response, isn't about whether or not Robison DESERVED the new contract..I simply offered a possible reason why he got one.

See how far off base you can get once you start "assuming"?

Caine
    I wasn't wrong. That's how I interpreted it. When you are vague in your reply, then it's wide open to interpretation. Especially when Mr. A's question was basically asking you if you felt Robison payday was undeserving.

If you ASSUMED Mr. A's question meant something else, then I apologize & will ask you flat out so you can't assume anything different.

Do you thing back up Robison, who's numbers seem to have declined last year (given the fact he started two games in 2010 & 0 in 2009, yet his sack count dropped from 4.5 to 2.0) deserved to get more money per year than Edwards? His numbers did decline (try to keep in mind he played 14 games not 16 games last year) His sack count declining by only 0.5?

The two games he didn't play due to injury, are the two games Robison was the starter.
    Taking the question apart - because you worded it in a convoluted way (Almost seeming to try and trap an answer)..

No, I don't think Brian deserves/deserved more than Edwards. Edwards is the starter for a reason.

Do I think that Robison's numbers declined? Not really. His tackles went up, his sacks went down. It's hard to gauge D-Line stats because they don't list how many downs they played. So, while Robison started two games last season, how many more reps did he actually take?

Bottom line, Edwards is, in my opinion, the better player, but he's cried for 2 years about wanting more money, and now he's throwing the "I won't play here" tantrum...and the fan backlash is - predictably - one of "Fine, shut up and leave"..

Clear enough?

Caine
    That's the answer I was looking for. The fact that Robison got more money than he did, when he [Edwards] is the starter is what has his panties all in a bunch. He at least has a legitimate gripe about that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097093
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096902
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096890
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096835
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096764
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096763
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096762
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096696
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096658
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096624
    Something to keep in mind is, Ray was tendered last year too. And before that he was in his rookie contract, which he got as a 4th round pick. Not exactly a huge deal.

He hasn't made money at the level of his production, which is not elite but far from 4th round money.
    Which is what people here are missing. Both drafted in 4th round.

Edwards:

2011: $2.8 mil
    2010: $2.5 mil
    2009: $1.1 mil
    2008: $549,000
    2007: $464,000
    2006: $373,000

Robison:

2011: $11.2 mil
    2010: $555,000
    2009: $586,000
    2008: $497,000
    2007: $406,000

If Edwards plays next year, his 6 year salary as a starter ($6.7 mil) is a little over half of what back up Robison will earn next year alone.

How Caine or anyone else believes Robison deserves a bigger salary than Edwards, based on their contribution to the Vikings thus far, is beyond me.

FYI, Julius Peppers had 8 sacks last year. Mario Williams had 1/2 sack more.

How much do you suppose they made? What are the odds their backups will get paid more?
    Back the truck up....

Show me where I EVER said that Edwards deserved less than Robison? Or, show me where I EVER stated that Robison was better, deserved more, or should be paid more than Edwards?

You can't, because I never said it. Just you putting words in my mouth again.

I said that Edwards whines too much, and that he has garnered little sympathy for his salary issues as a result. Care to dispute that?

I also said that Edwards is a GOOD DE, but not a GREAT one...and that he will probably not be worth as much as HE will think he is worth. Care to dispute THAT?

I don't mind being argued with. I don't mind being quoted. But if you're going to attribute beliefs, statements, or opinions to me, please make sure they are actually things I've said or expressed.

Caine
    I believe you did in fact express them & that's how it was interpreted.

You expressed before that Edwards didn't more money. It's also common knowledge that Edwards' big beef was he felt he deserved more money than his back up Robison.

Mr. A confronted you regarding that. Mr. A asked you, and I QUOTE:

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1096584
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096581
    Then Robison shouldn't have been paid either, no?
    Robison's numbers improved...even with his limited reps.

Caine
    Your response, which I QUOTED, says to me that you feel backup Robison's big payday, a contract worth a lot more than Edwards' would have been paid, is deserved even with his limited reps.

I don't know how else you would interpret that. It pretty much states you believe Robison deserves that bigger salary of Edwards because Robison's numbers improved...even with his limited reps
    I think he meant that Robison deserved a contract because his numbers improved(which is not true) not that he deserves a bigger contract than Edwards.
    And the contract Caine said Robison deserved, happened to be a lot more than Edwards was offered.

Ergo, it's quite easy to assume that he felt Robison deserved to be paid more than Edwards.
    Ergo, don't assume...

Is it really that hard for you to say, "Ooops...I apologize, I was wrong"?

Further, this thread, and my response, isn't about whether or not Robison DESERVED the new contract..I simply offered a possible reason why he got one.

See how far off base you can get once you start "assuming"?

Caine
    I wasn't wrong. That's how I interpreted it. When you are vague in your reply, then it's wide open to interpretation. Especially when Mr. A's question was basically asking you if you felt Robison payday was undeserving.

If you ASSUMED Mr. A's question meant something else, then I apologize & will ask you flat out so you can't assume anything different.

Do you thing back up Robison, who's numbers seem to have declined last year (given the fact he started two games in 2010 & 0 in 2009, yet his sack count dropped from 4.5 to 2.0) deserved to get more money per year than Edwards? His numbers did decline (try to keep in mind he played 14 games not 16 games last year) His sack count declining by only 0.5?

The two games he didn't play due to injury, are the two games Robison was the starter.
    Taking the question apart - because you worded it in a convoluted way (Almost seeming to try and trap an answer)..

No, I don't think Brian deserves/deserved more than Edwards. Edwards is the starter for a reason.

Do I think that Robison's numbers declined? Not really. His tackles went up, his sacks went down. It's hard to gauge D-Line stats because they don't list how many downs they played. So, while Robison started two games last season, how many more reps did he actually take?

Bottom line, Edwards is, in my opinion, the better player, but he's cried for 2 years about wanting more money, and now he's throwing the "I won't play here" tantrum...and the fan backlash is - predictably - one of "Fine, shut up and leave"..

Clear enough?

Caine
    That's the answer I was looking for. The fact that Robison got more money than he did, when he [Edwards] is the starter is what has his panties all in a bunch. He at least has a legitimate gripe about that.
    If it had STARTED there, then yes...but Ray's been crying for 2 years about his "pay day"...and now he's throwing a tantrum because his "back up" got a contract before the lock out.

"Hey, Ray!! Maybe the Vikes wanted to see if you were good enough to actually pull a 1st round pick from someone....guess not, huh?"

Again, Ray has a point NOW...but he didn't start off that way. And, in some ways, this almost feels like poetic justice. Ray cries about money then underperforms...then he cries about money again, so they tender his silliness and pay Robison instead.

I'm not saying it's the RIGHT thing to do...not at all. As I said, Ray is the better player. But I think Ray will want a LOT more than he's worth, and bang-for-the-buck will lie with Robison.

...even if he is too small and light to ever "handle the load" (Right, Marrdro?)

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1097078

However,......

Riiiight...

Bullshit.

Caine

Not sure what point yoru making......How did he do as a LDE in a base 4-3 defense? I can't answer cause the Jags brought him in as part of their 3-4 experiment that their GM is now saying is over.

Hybrid mix of 3-4 and 4-3. Atleast before Pete showed up.

Iggles and Giants run a hybrid mix of 3-4 and 4-3.

I need to dig them up, but there is some discussion that they (the Iggles) are going to switch to the 3-4 exclusively this year.

Giants are a mess since the brains of the defense left to become the Rams HC. Not sure what they are going to do this year but judging by their draft it appears they are looking to run a bit more 3-4.

Ten runs a 3-4, Houston ran a 3-4 and is switching back to a 4-3, I'm not sure what the Rams run. Have to check but I bet its some version of the hybrid 3-4/4-3 the Giants run.

Another note about this in my "Team Needs" thread would have told you that the team is unhappy with him and might not resign him.

Caine
    Nope, the only factor you keep missing is our defense is a 4-3 and my points all center on the base defense in a normal down and distance.

You, on the other hand seem to want to compare our 4-3 DE's with 3-4 DE's who are really OLB'rs puttin their hand in the dirt in a 4-3.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast