Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ray Edwards: Getting Excited & Glad To Be With Vikes

[size=18px]Getting Excited[/size]

July 28, 2006

Author: Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

Training camps all across the country traditionally provide high excitement for fans who have been waiting for the upcoming season to begin ever since the previous season concluded. With the arrival of Vikings rookies and selected veterans on Thursday, the beginning of the 2006 season is upon us.

But fans across the country aren't the only ones who are excited for the season to begin. The players are ready for some action too.

Vikings rookie defensive end Ray Edwards is excited to finally be in camp and on the football field. Since being drafted in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft, Edwards and his teammates have participated in 14 days of organized team activities and three minicamps.

"It's time to get back into it and play football," Edwards said on the team's first day of workouts in Mankato.

Edwards liked how the first day went.

"It was good today," Edwards said of his first day at training camp. "We were out here and got to run around with the guys and my teammates so it was definitely a good experience."

Edwards' coaches also like how things are going for the former Purdue Boilermaker.

"He is a very talented, talented young man," Viking defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said of Edwards. "His measurables are exciting. He is a young guy, and that can be an exciting element to what he brings. We're excited about him, but it's just the beginning for Ray Edwards."

Vikings coaches have also been very impressed with Edwards' work ethic. No doubt, in coming out a year early the learning curve that all rookies in the NFL face during their initial season is that much greater for Edwards.

But coach Tomlin has seen Edwards working to straighten out that learning curve.

"Since we drafted him, he has been putting in great work, attention to detail, and just learning about the business of being a professional athlete."

Being a professional athlete doesn't exclude you from being excited, either.

Today's highlight

The highlight play of the day today came in the afternoon practice session. During one-on-one drills wide receiver Jason Carter caught a 40-yard pass along the left sideline over a leaping Dustin Fox. During the play, Fox had Carter shadowed and was in perfect position to defend the pass. Carter came up with a spectacular catch, however, juggling the ball until finally controlling it on his way down to the turf.

CB Cedric

When the Vikings drafted former Texas defensive back Cedric Griffin, much of the appeal towards Griffin was his ability to play multiple positions. While playing with the Longhorns, the 6-0, 203-pound defensive back primarily played cornerback. He does possess adequate size, however, to play multiple positions in the defensive backfield.

Coach Tomlin dispelled, for now at least, any notion that Griffin may be used at any other position outside of cornerback on defense.

"He has been working exclusively as a corner," Tomlin said. "That was our intention when we drafted him, and we think he can be a heck of a one."

Getting Excited

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Edwards glad to be with Vikes

Published July 29, 2006 01:39 am

[size=18px]Edwards glad to be with Vikes[/size]
    Big rookie defensive end ‘is putting in great work’

By Jim Rueda
    The Free Press

MANKATO —

Call him a gamble, call him a reach, call him a project.

Whatever label one chooses to apply to Minnesota Vikings’ fourth-round draft choice Ray Edwards, the coaching staff appears happy to have him in uniform.

Edwards, a 6-foot-5, 279-pound defensive end, left Purdue early. He was replaced in the starting lineup halfway through his junior season and opted to turn pro rather than return to college.

Despite his somewhat unorthodox departure from college football, Edwards boasts the kind of size, speed, long arms and athleticism that makes pro scouts drool. That was the main reason Minnesota decided to select him in the fourth round.

The knock on him in college was that he took plays off but, so far, the Vikings have seen none of that.

“Ray is putting in great work and his intangibles are exciting,” Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said Friday. “He’s a very talented young man. His measurables are exciting.”

Edwards’ best year at Purdue was his sophomore season. He started all 12 games and played well enough to become a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Defensive End of the Year Award.

He tied for second in the Big Ten in sacks (8.0), had two forced fumbles and 11 tackles for loss. He finished with 23 solo tackles, 22 assists and had four pass break-ups.

For Edwards, the chance to begin his NFL career with the Vikings is a perfect opportunity.

“Before the draft the Vikings talked to me, and coach Childress and coach Tomlin seemed excited about what I could bring to the team,” he said after a morning rookie practice. “Going in the fourth round was fine, I just wanted to go somewhere where I was wanted and where I would get an opportunity to show what I could do.”

Edwards says his college coaches prepared him well for the NFL and now his task is simply to fine tune and keep on improving.

“The biggest challenge is working on your technique,” he said. “All the players at the NFL level are good so you can’t just sit back and rely on things that got you by in college. My goal is to just absorb as much as I can and try to keep getting better.”

Edwards is hoping to make an impact as a rookie — if not as a starter than as a quality player off the bench who can help the team in certain situations.

“I can see myself coming in on third down when we need to put pressure on the quarterback,” he said. “But I’m not going to worry about the how I’m being used or how much I play. That’s up to the coaches.”

Edwards glad to be with Vikes

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Ray Edwards: Getting Excited & Glad To Be With Vikes

I've been wondering about Edwards.I'm really excited about his potential.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

Good to see his "attitude" is becoming more of a good thing than a problem. Hopefully he will stay happy and help us out on the field.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

It's good to know he has a good attitude, and not worried about his playing time. Hopefully he makes some good plays.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    I've been wondering about Edwards.I'm really excited about his potential.
    We have a lot of players who have a lot of potential, but that doesn't mean they'll fulfill it... I'm starting to get worried that we're taking too many gambles w/ first rate potential, but w/ only second rate proven talent. Our veteran pick ups are great, and I really like T-Jack, but remember how mad everyone was right after the draft? No one knew many of these guys, and just b/c they're Vikings now does not make them better. I hope to God the coaches were right in their selections, but I am feeling uncomfortably uncomfortable.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"GoVikes11" wrote:
    Good to see his "attitude" is becoming more of a good thing than a problem. Hopefully he will stay happy and help us out on the field.
    Same here....from everything that I heard during the draft, it seemed like Edwards wasn't exactly the easiest person to coach and get along with. I'm really happy to see that he has either started to turn that around, or that it was never like that in the first place.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

He keeps this up, there will be more competition then we think at DE..

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Hopefully he can develop into a role as a good pass rusher.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

he's glad to be there?

lol, well, lets see, the two starting DE's are first round draft picks, one of the starting DT's are a first round draft pick, the 2nd DT is just plain a force to be reckoned with.

i'd be sure as hell glad to be playing under such amazing (and or potentially amazing [DE's]) fellow defensive linemen - what other line would u want to learn under

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast