Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ray Edwards: Fine “Ridiculous”; “Men don’t wear panties”

"vikings_fan66" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Then again for him to be fined for his hit while the guy who laid kluwe out on that punt return get highlighted on ESPN says a lot about how evenly the leagues concern for players health is spread. What a crock of pooh.

IMO if they don't want to expose such a great investment to possible injury they should quit paying the QB so much money. Hell, if they made what the average fullback makes they would let any hit go.
    You can't compare the two.. Don't get me wrong, i don't like the babying of qb's, but Edwards hit was waaayy late, Kluwe got blocked out of a play when he was going for the tackle, not even close to the same situations there.
    Ya exactly Kluwe was a possible tackler on the play...Edwards demonstrated the definition of roughing the passer

I don't think you guys were understanding

He is saying if people are getting fined like crazy for their momentum being carried into a QB then why shouldn't a player hitting a helpless tackler like that

I agree.. If you encourage letting someone get hit like that when they don't even see it coming then you should let the defenders hit the QB

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Its still apples to oranges.

If Kluwe was on the other side of the field and jogging around without any chance at all of making a tackle it would be a fair comparison.

Kluwe was helpless because he was a frickin punter and unaware of his surroundings. Garcia was helpless because he got rid of the ball and for him the play was over. It would have been a fair hit on the QB if the ball was intercepted and Edwards was making a block. So even comparing the force of the Kluwe and Garcia hits are irrelevant because if Garcia was hit just as hard if he was trying to make a tackle Edwards would not have gotten fined.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

V4L

It's not though.. Doesn't matter if it's a punter.. I saw Erin Henderson get a concussion this year on a same type of deal.. The returner runs by you and you turn your head and you are knocked out cold

If they are gonna nit pick at what you can do to a QB.. Yes I agree late hits shouldn't happen.. But sometimes you really can't help it.. Then to be fair they need to make vicious blocks like that unnessiary roughness

I don't agree with how they are making this game a chess match.. But if you are making rules like this then you might as well protect everyone.. Not just the QB

"V4L" wrote:
    It's not though.. Doesn't matter if it's a punter.. I saw Erin Henderson get a concussion this year on a same type of deal.. The returner runs by you and you turn your head and you are knocked out cold

If they are gonna nit pick at what you can do to a QB.. Yes I agree late hits shouldn't happen.. But sometimes you really can't help it.. Then to be fair they need to make vicious blocks like that unnessiary roughness

I don't agree with how they are making this game a chess match.. But if you are making rules like this then you might as well protect everyone.. Not just the QB

oh ok I gotcha V4L....With so much emphasis on qb's protection why is there not rules that protect all players equally.

V4L

"vikings_fan66" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

oh ok I gotcha V4L....With so much emphasis on qb's protection why is there not rules that protect all players equally.
    Yup you got it

I couldn't word it all that well ha

I just think it's unfair to have all these rules against hitting a QB.. Yet you can pretty much do whatever you want to anyone else as long as it isn't helmet to helmet

It should be all or nothing IMO

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Are we talking about Ray Edwards late hit or have we moved on to the nitpick calls?

I was talking about the Ray Edwards hit. Which is very different than someone making a block no matter the impact.

If you were talking about some of the nitpick late hits in general then I agree to an extent.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

V4L

Ya this turned into a jumbled mess haha

Uffda was saying something simular to me I guess

But I read it wrong

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikings_fan66" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Then again for him to be fined for his hit while the guy who laid kluwe out on that punt return get highlighted on ESPN says a lot about how evenly the leagues concern for players health is spread. What a crock of pooh.

IMO if they don't want to expose such a great investment to possible injury they should quit paying the QB so much money. Hell, if they made what the average fullback makes they would let any hit go.
    You can't compare the two.. Don't get me wrong, i don't like the babying of qb's, but Edwards hit was waaayy late, Kluwe got blocked out of a play when he was going for the tackle, not even close to the same situations there.
    Ya exactly Kluwe was a possible tackler on the play...Edwards demonstrated the definition of roughing the passer
    That was not my point. The point was the NFL made the rules they are fining the defensive players for because they say they are trying to protect the QB from injury. Garcia was standing still and Edwards was barely moving when he leveled him. By contrast, Kluwe was running full speed and was almost de-cleated by a defender who was also running at full speed. IMO that situation is far more likely to lead to a serious injury than many of these QB hits that are resulting in fines.

The difference?

The QB's are paid so much that the NFL wants to protect the 100's of millions they have invested while the ST players are paid less and therefore do not carry the same loss risk potential. So in other words the rules are not made because of the concern for players health( Otherwise they would make rules to protect ALL of the players from violent hits and not just the prima-donna's)but because they do not want to have millions of dollars of salary sitting on the bench.

They would also ban many of the blocking techniques used against defensive linemen that result in blwn out knees and shortened careers.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    not even close, take off the purple shades... Allens hit was helmet to helmet, edwards was as late as late can be.
    [youtube=425,350]jp7iKH8PQMY[/youtube]
    Ok so, helmet to helmet by Jared Allen on Rodgers(I don't think it was late enough to draw a fine, he came off the line completely untouched and was at full speed only a step away from Rodgers when he released the ball, but it was certainly helmet to helmet) = $25,000, no injury to the player receiving the hit.

Ray Edwards late hit on Garcia = $25,000, no injury to the player receiving the hit.(Anyone have video of this?)

[youtube=425,350]5NJYruxZ4Zg[/youtube]
    That earned a $5,000 fine, was later, more unnecessary, helmet to helmet, and resulted in a concussion to the recipient of the hit.

[youtube=425,350]mXxc9OxIJyc[/youtube]
    No fine on that one, but a broken jaw and ended season for Keith Rivers. Although it was not a late hit, it was blatantly helmet to helmet contact. You can see Ward change the angle of his head on the hit, and put the crown of his helmet right into Rivers' jaw, breaking it. I can't imagine any circumstance on that play other than helmet to helmet contact that could have resulted in a broken jaw for rivers. He's hit, lands on his back, it must have been the initial blow. A better camera angle would have revealed the actual helmet to helmet contact.

Together both of those fines are a fifth of just one Allen's or Edwards', but resulted in serious injuries to both players. Anyone care to explain?
    As far as I know, helmet to helmet contact is just as illegal on a QB as it is any other player.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast