Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    7th, you don't do that if you draft as poorly as a couple of people on here contend.
    Um, yes you can.

You rank 7th for the sole fact that 39 players on your roster are players you drafted. That doesn't mean you have 39 very good players. 35 of those players could be mediocre at best & you still will rank 7th.

It's not a stat that indicates at all in any way shape or fashion that your team is good to great because of it, nor does it necessarily mean you're drafting a shit-load of talent. In our case over the past few seasons, they let several veterans go & replaced them with drafted replacements in the name of cap space & youth & not necessarily talent.

Yep, we got some good players & we also got mediocre players & players to plug holes at depth.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    2013 NFL Draft Fallout: Minnesota Vikings - NFL.com

1. It's hard to top Spielman's draft record of late. If Cordarrelle Patterson and Floyd join the starting lineup by the end of the season, roughly half of the 22 starters, plus the kicker and punter, will have come from the past three drafts.
    Hmmmm..

and this:

Don't be surprised if the Vikings emerge as a top-five NFL defense bolstered by the speed and athleticism of their recent high draft picks.
    Holy bold prognostication batman.

what about this:

3. The Vikings had targeted Rhodes and Patterson with the Nos. 23 and 25 picks to replace Winfield and Harvin, according to SI.com's Peter King. It wasn't until Floyd, viewed by the Vikings' personnel department as a top-10 pick, fell to No. 23 that Spielman adjusted his plan. Those three picks ultimately could determine if the Vikings overtake the Green Bay Packers for NFC North supremacy over the next few seasons.
    You reckon Rhodes and Patterson were always our primary targets for 23/25?

Just hold your horses there NFL.com. Top 5 defense, NFC North supremacy. Them's some pretty bold statements.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I've always felt that the Vikings have been on the verge of being a top 5 defense. I've not looked into the stats this year, but the scheme manipulates the statistics to make our defense looks worse than it really is in my opinion. The problem for so many years have been poor play by the secondary. Hopefully, this year the DB's will elevate the defense into a top 5 NFL defense. I really believe it can be done.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    7th, you don't do that if you draft as poorly as a couple of people on here contend.
    It depends how good the players actually are. Some teams cut dead weight early, while others hold onto them.

The Vikings have some top heavy contracts with Allen and Peterson, so they would likely fill their depth chart with drafted players rather than more expensive veterans.

That is not to state that the Vikings have not drafted well; it just means it is not necessarily so from that statistic.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I've always felt that the Vikings have been on the verge of being a top 5 defense. I've not looked into the stats this year, but the scheme manipulates the statistics to make our defense looks worse than it really is in my opinion. The problem for so many years have been poor play by the secondary. Hopefully, this year the DB's will elevate the defense into a top 5 NFL defense. I really believe it can be done.
    Running this C2 defense to ne requires a top notch MLB to really ensure we will be a top 5 defense over a consistent period of time.

If we can ever get back to the days of having a Studwell/Del Rio king of guy in the middle we are going to see a very stout defense again,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12