Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Raw numbers: Drafted players on rosters (NFC North Rankings)

NFC North: Draft Picks on Roster

NFL rank Team Total
    1 Packers 45
    7 Vikings 39
    21 Lions 30
    28 Bears 27
    Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Raw numbers: Drafted players on rosters - NFC North Blog - ESPN
    7th, you don't do that if you draft as poorly as a couple of people on here contend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    NFC North: Draft Picks on Roster

NFL rank Team Total
    1 Packers 45
    7 Vikings 39
    21 Lions 30
    28 Bears 27
    Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Raw numbers: Drafted players on rosters - NFC North Blog - ESPN
    7th, you don't do that if you draft as poorly as a couple of people on here contend.
    Or your Gm holds on to rubbish too long because his ego is too big to admit he is wrong.
    Ex. Tjack and Williamson.... Ponder and Webb will soon join that list.

This is such an arbitrary discussion because teams are in a constant flux of growing old vs. a youth movement. Those numbers change every year. Sure some teams are more prone to drafted talent but really from number 5-25... a fluctuation of several spots is expected due to the natural team building process.

1. Youth movement - get ride of vets bring in young cheap talent
    2. Mature talent - Team draft for 3 years and builds a roster of talent. Roster hits prime.
    3. FA era: FA are used to supplement draft positions and areas of need. Push for chip begins
    4. Push for chip continues... Veterens are let go and youth movement is started. again.

BTW good teams side step this cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Or your Gm holds on to rubbish too long because his ego is too big to admit he is wrong.
    Ex. Tjack and Williamson.... Ponder and Webb will soon join that list.

This is such an arbitrary discussion because teams are in a constant flux of growing old vs. a youth movement. Those numbers change every year. Sure some teams are more prone to drafted talent but really from number 5-25... a fluctuation of several spots is expected due to the natural team building process.

1. Youth movement - get ride of vets bring in young cheap talent
    2. Mature talent - Team draft for 3 years and builds a roster of talent. Roster hits prime.
    3. FA era: FA are used to supplement draft positions and areas of need. Push for chip begins
    4. Push for chip continues... Veterens are let go and youth movement is started. again.

BTW good teams side step this cycle.
    Good teams have stability enough at the GM and coaching levels (not to mention Owner) to get to the point they can side step this cycle.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Good teams have stability enough at the GM and coaching levels (not to mention Owner) to get to the point they can side step this cycle.
    Would you include the Pack?
    Some teams never get to the GOOD level just years of wasted opportunities and players.

Would you include the Pack?
    Some teams never get to the GOOD level just years of wasted opportunities and players.
    I think it is safe to say the PUKERS are a good team. Because they fail to address issues they continually fail at fixing (via the draft) they will always struggle to get to great.

In the end, everyone wants to think that if you have a "Great" QB you can win it all, when in fact, you have to have a great team, to win in all in the "ultimate team" sport.

I think it is safe to say the PUKERS are a good team. Because they fail to address issues they continually fail at fixing (via the draft) they will always struggle to get to great.

In the end, everyone wants to think that if you have a "Great" QB you can win it all, when in fact, you have to have a great team, to win in all in the "ultimate team" sport.
    A great Qb makes your team better. Recent ESPN hacks found that QBs with a rating on their QBR score of 90+... have a .900 record. The fact remains that good Qbs are needed to make a deep run into the playoffs. We can be a run dominant team...I'm all for that... I just say address the QB position as well.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Yup, kind of a useless stat due to too many variables that change year to year based not only on team-building style, but also where you are in the rookie-prime-aging/vet cycle. There will always be vets that need replacing and so always spots you need youth at...even if you do somehow hit on all your draft picks.

For example, part of CHI's problem the past few (3+?) years was all their old remnants of past glory on defense. Sure, they're vets and they play smart enough to overcome their physical deficiencies, but they're also more brittle and heal slower, and thus miss more time. So, they win early and look like playoff locks, only to fall off of a cliff once the injuries pile up. At this point in time, I think its good for them to be low on that list.

IDK, looks to me like the PUKERS finally addressed a couple of big needs they've been letting slide with DL, OT, and RB...

Oh Well. Black-N-Blue is back baby!! I not only want to dominate our division, I want to dominate in a division that dominates the rest of the NFL!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    I can say with a good amount of certainty that our GM is in the top third of the league when it comes to drafting at least. Free agency he has been spotty but the drafts since he was the sole GM speak for themselves. Wouldn't draw too much from raw data like this but it does speak to an organization's philosophy somewhat.

I agree Ponder will need to show that he can:
    a) severely limit crucial mistakes in close games
    b) put points on the board when we get down by double digits
    c) take the team down the field when we new a game winning score in the 4th

If he can do these things, I don't care how many yards he has per game. He's already showed a knack for c), its a) and b) where he MUST show improvement. I he accomplishes these 3 "goals," we will have a quarterback good enough to take us to the playoffs again this year. With a decent possibility of winning one.

A great Qb makes your team better. Recent ESPN hacks found that QBs with a rating on their QBR score of 90+... have a .900 record. The fact remains that good Qbs are needed to make a deep run into the playoffs. We can be a run dominant team...I'm all for that... I just say address the QB position as well.
    Its been addressed. His name is Ponder. Your just not ready to admit it yet but after this year you will start to come around.

Notice I used the word start.....Ponder will still have some room to grow after this year. Not much, but some, you will pick that area apart, but eventually relent.

Quote Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
    I can say with a good amount of certainty that our GM is in the top third of the league when it comes to drafting at least. Free agency he has been spotty but the drafts since he was the sole GM speak for themselves. Wouldn't draw too much from raw data like this but it does speak to an organization's philosophy somewhat.

I agree Ponder will need to show that he can:
    a) severely limit crucial mistakes in close games
    b) put points on the board when we get down by double digits
    c) take the team down the field when we new a game winning score in the 4th

If he can do these things, I don't care how many yards he has per game. He's already showed a knack for c), its a) and b) where he MUST show improvement. I he accomplishes these 3 "goals," we will have a quarterback good enough to take us to the playoffs again this year. With a decent possibility of winning one.
    You don't think that he showed improvement in (a) the first 4 and last 3 games of the season last year?

Even a cat like Brady had a stretch of games (4) were he put up 5 INT's. It happens. What Ponder needs to do, as you contend, is limit those types of stretches and I think the onus is on the staff to make sure he has the right people and right play calls sent in to help him in those decision making processes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast