Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Rating the Draft

"Yahoo Sports" wrote:
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Watch the NFL draft or NBA dunks? For most viewers, the answer was easy: go with the picks over the playoffs.

ESPN's seven-hour coverage of the draft's first day on Saturday (noon-7 p.m. EDT) was seen in an average of nearly 3.4 million households, an increase of 11 percent over last year's draft and the most ever. The 3.8 cable rating tied for the third-highest NFL draft rating ever on ESPN, behind the 4.2 in '93, 3.9 in '91 and 3.8 in '88.

In contrast, TNT's coverage of first-round NBA playoff games between Miami and New Orleans, and Detroit and Milwaukee drew ratings that were more than three times lower. The Heat-Hornets game, which began at 1 p.m. EDT, earned a 1.0 rating. The Pistons-Bucks game aired from 3:45-6 p.m. and drew a 1.6.

More than 31 million people watched at least part of the two-day coverage of the draft on ESPN and ESPN2, making it the most-viewed draft in the 25 years since the cable network began televising the event.

The above quote is an article that I found on Yahoo Sports. So, does that say more about the NFL, or the NBA?

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Rating the Draft

This happened because professional basketball is boring(at least IMO, but colledge is fun to work), and it gives all the NFL fans a temporary mitigation of the pain of not being able to watch football. Also, it helps that NFL is gaining fans while the NBA is losing fans

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Rating the Draft

I've also heard a theory that the draft is so popular because it brings together two of the country's favorite sports: pro football, and college football.

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

Rating the Draft

that is very true i would say but also who cares about the east in the NBA playoffs, it did not beat out the ratings for the laker-rocket or T-wolves game, so yes it is popular but not mazing, i do know i was a loser who watched it all day long on Sat and most of sunday, i felt like i wasted my weekend on monday morning. But oh well, and our draft was way better than a B- as some would say
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Rating the Draft

I tried watching it on saturday... I was all excited... I had my pen and notebook and was gonna right down all the picks... haha what a geek, but I've never watched a draft before... anyways I didn't even make it through the first round. I should have watched it again on sunday, but the first round took sooooooo long!! And I was sick of hearing about Whiney Manning

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

Rating the Draft

I agree that if had been the t wolves or lakers or kings or spurs the numbers would have been closer
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

DoyleRulz84 is offline Rookie

Rating the Draft

There is no point in watching an NBA game till the fourth quarter.
    4ee016e435d4da86194a9f140c831959

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Rating the Draft

All I gotta say is . . . tivo. I was able to fastforward through all the BS--about 6 hrs worth of Manning this and Manning that! Made it the most memorable draft in my mind. I highly recommend. Great for watching the Vikes live too.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

dart18 is offline Asst. Coach

Rating the Draft

yeah i am pro-tivo but not pro-tivo price
    Sometimes I like to think there is more to life than being you know. . . really really good looking.
    -Derrick Zoolander

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Rating the Draft

I hear ya' on that! They've got a nice little racket running.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast