Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Rate your optimism for the season.

I am going to say 4-12 right now. We definitely don't make the playoffs.

To compete in the NFL, you have to have either a complete shut-down defense (a la the Ravens in 2000), or a strong passing game. Having a solid defense that makes plays, but no passing game is not going to cut it. Look at the teams that are good right now in the NFL: Pats, Colts, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. They all pass the ball downfield, and have good defense. Not knowing who is going to start every week at QB, and then saying that the team will develop at some point in the future, is not going to cut it.

I say, we are lucky if we make 4 wins this season. I wish it were different...

This team has no passing game. And the modern NFL is about passing. We are no longer in the year 1968, when you win wiht the power sweep run. If you can't pass, you go home.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

If this team had gotten off to a 3-0/4-0 start, I would have an entirely different outlook.
    Seeing as how the first four games were supposed to be the "easy" part of our season, a poor start to the season doesn't bode well for the final W-L record.

It also depends on team psyche.
    Right now I think the defense is kicking butt, although they are giving up plenty of passing yards.
    You can't argue with the 12 point per game average though.
    The losses have been close...they've had a chance to win each one at the wire.
    But if the team loses to GB, when will it win again?

The offense is putrid.
    Yet, if our QBs protect the ball, we look to keep many games low scoring and winnable.
    Will this be the case when we face more offensively capable teams like the Cowboys?

Yet, if the Vikings pull off a win this weekend, how good could the team be?
    Chicago is apparently offensively challenged right now, they could be ripe for an upset in Week 6.
    Philly didn't look too good before destroying the Lions defense.
    The Chargers can't get LT going.
    All three of these teams are 1-2...could they be not as good as advertised and maybe the Vikings be a little better if the offense manages the ball as they did in the opener?

Right now, I'm probably more of the doom and gloom outlook...the offense has shown sparks but little consistency.
    Games where the defense can hold the opponent to 17 points or less will be interesting, but the Vikings still might come out on the short end of the score.
    I don't see this team finishing .500 or better, and in all likelihood they'll have a top ten draft pick next season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I'm still a slight optimist. The D has lived up to expectations, we are running the ball pretty decent, and that were the two expectations I had going in.

I thought our pass D would be a developing project over the season, and that it will be. I still hope that we get TJack back soon, and that he can show development over the next 4-5 games.

The only thing that has really disappointed me has been the redzone offense. Not that we have gotten there enough.

As long as the games are kept close I think we can get some Ws here and there, and if we are really lucky we can challenge for one of the last playoff spots. But as long as our form-curve will be increasing toward the end of the season I'll be happy.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

This is supposed to be an optimistic thread, definition:
    1. disposed to take a favorable view of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2. reflecting optimism: an optimistic plan.

3. of or pertaining to optimism.

Our 'D' will keep us in the game! The offense is going to have to limit their mistakes and protect the QB.

It all starts next week against the Packers. This will be a huge win for us, building confidence and bringing us to .500 before the bye.

The first three games were lessons learned. Now lets get out there and kick some packers ass!!
    It all starts up front

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I knew coming into this season that we are young at QB and WR, that we have a stout defense, and that it will take awhile for things to jell. That is exactly what has happened so far. As the season progresses we will get better, and finish with 7-9 wins. Next year I will expect a 10 win season and the playoffs, this year our young guys must develope.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I like being a pessimist, as I'm always either right or pleasantly surprised :P

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Alls i'm wondering is why we don't use Mewelde Moore more???
    I mean... besides ap and chester, he seems to be our only other weapon... why not put him back there with AP in a two back set and throw to either of them?

AP is a beast and can catch the ball... let's get him
    in some space with a pass or some screens to get him one on one with a lb or corner...

I'm also mad we have to resort to gadgetery in order to score... (only to have it taken away from an official)...

When's the last time we had a legit passing td????
    Was it when moss was here?

Shoulda held onto Burleson....

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    Alls i'm wondering is why we don't use Mewelde Moore more???
    I mean... besides ap and chester, he seems to be our only other weapon... why not put him back there with AP in a two back set and throw to either of them?

AP is a beast and can catch the ball... let's get him
    in some space with a pass or some screens to get him one on one with a lb or corner...

I'm also mad we have to resort to gadgetery in order to score... (only to have it taken away from an official)...

When's the last time we had a legit passing td????
    Was it when moss was here?

Shoulda held onto Burleson....
    I do like Memo but with Chester coming back I doubt he will get much time in the backfield except on third down. I wonder how he would do if they lined him up at WR or TE. He did lead the team in receptions last year and had the best YPcarry. Maybe we could put him in at QB, that pass to Shanko was the best pass of the game.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I said bottom 1/4 of the league. I hate to be so pessimistic, but until our pass d and pass rush improve (I guess they go hand in hand) and we are able to move the ball inside the opponents 30, we are going to struggle.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

C'mon offense...give us some hope!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast