5. DeMarcus Ware
    6. Aldon Smith
    7. Jason Pierre-Paul

Next level

8. Chris Long
    9. Jared Allen
    10. Julius Peppers
    11. Mario Williams
    The "Just missed" list (outside of the top 25) includes Everson Griffen and Brian Robison.

I would have liked to see the salaries of the players posted.

Ranking the top 25 NFL edge rushers - NFL.com

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ranking the top 25 NFL edge rushers

I don't agree at all that he is that low on the list. He is absolutely top 5 in pass rushing and has certainly accomplished more than Matthews ever has. And he has done it longer and more consistently than the majority of the rest

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I don't agree at all that he is that low on the list. He is absolutely top 5 in pass rushing and has certainly accomplished more than Matthews ever has. And he has done it longer and more consistently than the majority of the rest
    This is not a list of "was"; it is a list of "is".

Allen and Peppers were both top five at one time, but they are fading. At least that is how Rosenthal sees it.

Jared Allen had a down season in 2012. His sacks were off, but more importantly, his tackles were down. His tackles and assists were his worst since his part-time rookie season. Allen did not get in on as many plays or force the ball carrier into other defenders. Large offensive tackles shut him down one-on-one. He was not a top five force on the edge.

That begs the questions: was Allen's performance caused by age or caused by injury; can he perform like he had in previous seasons; is his performance over replacement worth his hefty contract?

+1

I think I need to stop going to nfl.com. After some of the recent "rankings, grades, overrated-underrated" these "experts" are coming up with.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The "Just missed" list (outside of the top 25) includes Everson Griffen and Brian Robison.

I would have liked to see the salaries of the players posted.

Ranking the top 25 NFL edge rushers - NFL.com
    I think Jared Allen belongs at # 7. He was a warrior last year...results were clearly related to injury. He led, and nothing came public until post season. JA is a man, arguably, THE man.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    I don't agree at all that he is that low on the list. He is absolutely top 5 in pass rushing and has certainly accomplished more than Matthews ever has. And he has done it longeri and more consistently than the majority of the rest
    This is not a list of "was"; it is a list of "is".

Allen and Peppers were both top five at one time, but they are fading. At least that is how Rosenthal sees it.

Jared Allen had a down season in 2012. His sacks were off, but more importantly, his tackles were down. His tackles and assists were his worst since his part-time rookie season. Allen did not get in on as many plays or force the ball carrier into other defenders. Large offensive tackles shut him down one-on-one. He was not a top five force on the edge.

That begs the questions: was Allen's performance caused by age or caused by injury; can he perform like he had in previous seasons; is his performance over replacement worth his hefty contract?

His down season still gave him a sack total equal toor more than many of those rated ahead of him. Jason Pierre Paul had 6.5 last year. Matthews had fewer, doubt Suggs had more. Wake had a few more but less than 9 the season before. Sorry but only a few of those guys above him were even better last year and even if you line them up ahead of him he is right in the top 5. Take the two year average and he takes a back seat to nobody.