Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ranking The NFC North: Third Place, The Minnesota Vikings

Ranking The NFC North: Third Place, The Minnesota Vikings - SideLion Report - A Detroit Lions Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

So a Lions site has the Packers first, the Lions second, the Vikings third and the Bears fourth.

I understand the homerism and the division will be strong this year but I just don't see the Lions moving ahead of the Vikings. I also don't see the Packers as a lock to win the division. Their defense lost Woodson, the offense lost jennings, and signing Rodgers and Matthews will hurt their depth. If they have any injuries they could easily go from first to fourth in the division.

Why The Vikings finish third in the NFC North:
    The Vikings have a solid offensive line, a solid defensive line, an improved secondary, good receivers, but a very average quarterback with an average arm. With Matthew Stafford andAaron Rodgers in the division, I donít see the Vikings finishing ahead of either the Lions or Packers, even with Adrian Peterson in the backfield.
    Christian Ponder is entering his third year in the leauge, typically a defining year for quarterbacks. If Ponder doesnít build on some of the flashes of talent weíve seen from him the Vikings will take a step back this year and will have to start questioning if he is a franchise quarterback.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions.....Thats how I see it ending this season. Not to mention, Vikings Get Home Field for all Playoff and NFC Championship Game.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Why The Vikings finish third in the NFC North:
    The Vikings have a solid offensive line, a solid defensive line, an improved secondary, good receivers, but a very average quarterback with an average arm. With Matthew Stafford andAaron Rodgers in the division, I donít see the Vikings finishing ahead of either the Lions or Packers, even with Adrian Peterson in the backfield.
    I find that funny, because the Vikings finished ahead of Matthew Stafford last year, after beating him twice, WITH that same "average" QB. Very dumb point.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    the bears are in a free fall.. it'll be between the Vikes and Pack for the tops. and between the bears and kittens on who brings up the rear.. though i think the kittens might just pull ahead of the bears.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Last year the Lions were supposed to be a sleeper team that could make the playoffs. They never woke up. Not sure what is different this year.

WWBGD

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Vikes could be a better Team with a 9-7 record...or, 8-8, or, 10-6. Sounds absurd, but...I think they will be a better Team. Results could vary. Oh, and, I'm not suggesting a defeatist mentality, or, accepting mediocrity. Nor, am I desperate. The Vikes are on a path...for long-term success, and, I, for one, think the FO is doing a good job building, per, the Wilf's stated desire.

Re: NFC North Teams, the QBs are definitely a part of the story, and, without Ponder playing like he did down the stretch last year, AD, special teams and the defense need to be stellar. As of now, Ponder is a distant #4 to the QBs in the Division. In fact, he may never be anything more than #4 vs the Division QBs...they happen to be pretty good. That said, if he makes significant improvement, this Team can be very good. If not, our Vikes will be second, third, or, God forbid, 4th.

But, I think he will progress this year. Assuming he does, then, I look at the rosters of the Teams in the Division, and the Head Coaches for the immediate future. Best Coach...hate to say it, but, he resides in Green Bay. The Bears made a mistake IMO, Trestman is a great coordinator, but, I don't see him pulling the right strings in Chicago to maximize that Roster. Thus, it comes down to Frazier vs. Schwartz for second in the Division.

My money is on Frazier. Better coach, higher standards, better vet leaders (Allen, Williams, Greenway, Sullivan, Peterson), and, sorry, Tradition (Detroit sucks).

Chicago, to me, is more of a threat than Detroit. Simply because of the aforementioned...higher standards, and, Detroit sucks. That said, if Ponder improves dramatically (yes, a big if), the Vikes will compete for the Division. If his improvement is limited, as most people think, the Vikes need another big time performance from AD, a huge positive Turnover ratio, and alotta luck.

Personally, I think Ponder will improve marginally, and, the Vikes will go 9-7.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think people are counting out the bears too early. New Coach, new OL, improved almost everything.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I think people are counting out the bears too early. New Coach, new OL, improved almost everything.
    I agree.

I do not believe many NFL fans understand what Marc Trestman has done for offenses and teams he has coached. Trestman was high on my list for the Vikings head coach position when Childress was let go. He can help bad quarterbacks play well and good quarterbacks play great.

If Trestman has a good defensive staff in place, the Bears could be improved, and they had the same record as the Vikings last season. They could have growing pains this next season, but I do not expect them to be as detrimental to the team as the gains they will have under his offensive leadership.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Last year the Lions were supposed to be a sleeper team that could make the playoffs. They never woke up. Not sure what is different this year.
    Well... they have Reggie Bush for starters.

They also picked up one of the most physically gifted defensive players in the draft in Ziggy Ansah.

They also ditched Titus Young and have two up-and-comers in Ryan Broyles and Kris Durham (the latter has yet to prove anything...).

Those are just some of the minor tweaks that were made. I think the Lions big problems in 2012 were Matthew Stafford's on-the-field struggles and the rest of the roster's off-the-field struggles.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I love that everyone is writing us off as losers again! I also love that we're going to have a chance to show the world that you can still win with defense and a running game and an average QB. Sure, he's 4th best QB in the division, but that is only 1 of 22 starters, and the rest of our TEAM is going to have something to say about where we end up in the rankings at the end of the year! And frankly, I don't think its wise to bet against Mr. All Day Adrian Peterson!

Every year every team has a chance to go up or down. It's the nature of the NFL in today's salary strapped game. You can't have 50 superstars making 10 mil/year, so every team is always just a couple of injuries away from dropping out of competition. Remember that year when Cook, Winny and Cedric were all injured/out!? D'oh!

The Pack lost some players, but did have a good draft. But, they pretty much got nothing behind Rodgers at QB, and Mathews is a huge part of that defense's success. One of those guys goes down, and bam, they might struggle to make 8-8.

The Lions did make some good moves, but, have they added any Balls!?? One 'punch in the mouth' from a physical team like ours, and the Kitties roll right on over.

Da Bears could go either way. Lost a lot of old players on defense, but added an offensive guru as a HC to fix their randomly mis-firing offense. And, more importantly, finally did something to fix their OL. IF enough of Lovie's defense sticks around and the offense is better, we could see a 49ers type turn around in the windy city. Or, they may fall into complete rebuilding mode if it takes time to adjust to their new schemes and be lucky to win 4...

Right now with my purple shades on, hoping we're lucky on the injury front while the Packers are due for a rash, and thinking that we have several young, up and coming players who will improve: Ponder, Kalil, Smith, Robinson, Cook, Load, Ellison, Rudolf, Fusco/competition, etc, I think it might look more like this when the regular season ends:

1. Vikings
    2. Pack/Lions both 8-8ish
    4. Bears

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast