Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: Ranking the Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1097797
    Speaking without the purple shades, the ...
    As did I, without the green and gold ones, lol

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1097778
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1097770
    Whats also interesting to me is to see where Siefert voted on the Vikes, he put them at 10 which means that he gave them little to no value as a cool helmet. Even if you hate the Vikes you would have to admit it is one of the cooler helmet schemes out there.

I am not a Siefert fan and this only further reinforces my theory that he was a traitor behind enemy lines for years! He gave the Bears and Packers high marks and left the Vikes in the lurch, just like all those years as a beat writer for us.
    I thought that too but if you look again it goes by total points and 10 is the highest, Vikings had a total of 22 and 10 of those were from Siefert
    The scoring confused me too... the only way that it adds up is that a No. 1 vote is the highest possible... a "1" counts for 10 points, "2" counts for 9, "3" counts for 8, "4" for 7, "5" for 6, "6" for 5, "7" for 4, "8" for 3, "9" for 2, and a "10" vote counts for just 1 point.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "SKOL" #1097806
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1097778
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1097770
    Whats also interesting to me is to see where Siefert voted on the Vikes, he put them at 10 which means that he gave them little to no value as a cool helmet. Even if you hate the Vikes you would have to admit it is one of the cooler helmet schemes out there.

I am not a Siefert fan and this only further reinforces my theory that he was a traitor behind enemy lines for years! He gave the Bears and Packers high marks and left the Vikes in the lurch, just like all those years as a beat writer for us.
    I thought that too but if you look again it goes by total points and 10 is the highest, Vikings had a total of 22 and 10 of those were from Siefert
    The scoring confused me too... the only way that it adds up is that a No. 1 vote is the highest possible... a "1" counts for 10 points, "2" counts for 9, "3" counts for 8, "4" for 7, "5" for 6, "6" for 5, "7" for 4, "8" for 3, "9" for 2, and a "10" vote counts for just 1 point.
    Yup, that's how it works. It was listed at the bottom of the chart.

Which means Seifert did rank the Vikings tenth overall.

I will admit to some bias, being a Vikings fan, but I love the purple horned helmet. It's both stylish and meaningful. I prefer a helmet logo to have something to do with either the team name, or its host city. For that reason, I rank the Chargers, Rams, Saints and Chiefs in my top five, along with the Vikes. They are also simple and clean, which counts for a lot. I do like the Steelers helmet for this reason as well, plus the one side only thing, but not quite as much as the others simply based on colors. Put the Bengals up there, too, thematically, along with the Colts, Eagles and Lions, and you have my top ten.

This reasoning is also why I rate the Cowboys much lower. What does a big blue star have to do with either Dallas or cowboys? Of the team name was Rangers or Lawmen or some such thing, then I could see it. It is simple and clean, though, which counts a plus in my book.

Most of the animal teams have logos which are too complicated. I prefer a simpler, sleeker, more stylized approach (see Eagles, Lions). The Broncos, Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals and the like all suffer from this problem. Bills would be much better as a single-color outline. The non-animal Redskins also suffer from being too busy, although they get kudos for sticking with the team name theme despite political correctness pressure.

I am also not a really big fan of lettering on helmets. I get the tradition thing, especially in long-standing teams like the Bears and Packers, but sometimes tradition for its own sake is just boring. The one exception I made to this was for Kansas City, just because I think it looks sharp the way they did it. The only other lettered helmet I like much at all is the Titans. But I used to like the old Oilers helmet too.

I also think that plain colored helmets are boring, so I don't give the Browns as much credit here as many do. Points for tradition, but that's about it.

One of the few "busy" helmets I like is Tampa Bay's. The flag is kinda cool, and I dig the colors.

So, my second ten would be (in no particular order): Bucs, Titans, Ravens, Bills, Patriots, Redskins, Bears (best of the letters-only group), Browns, Texans, and lastly, Cowboys.

The worst has got to be the Cardinals. Stack the rest however you like.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1097796
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1097769
    Really used to like the old LA Rams helmets.
    Even putting aside my disdain for all things Packer, the Packers helmet sucks wad. Not too enamored with the Bears helmet either.
    Packers helmet is the best in the league, by far. Vikings helmet should be voted last, by far. Vikings didn't even wear horns. Why are there horns on the helmet with the quasi-effeminate purple background? Maybe so the fans can sit in the garage swilling cheap rot-gut (probably Wisconsin) beer and pretend to be six-pack samurai or somethin'. :laugh:

totally kiddin' around :P
    Ahhh, but what they throw up after drinking that cheap rot gut WI beer in their garages more resembles the Packer color scheme.:laugh:

And the "G" stands for gay.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1097796
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1097769
    Really used to like the old LA Rams helmets.
    Even putting aside my disdain for all things Packer, the Packers helmet sucks wad. Not too enamored with the Bears helmet either.
    Packers helmet is the best in the league, by far. Vikings helmet should be voted last, by far. Vikings didn't even wear horns. Why are there horns on the helmet with the quasi-effeminate purple background? Maybe so the fans can sit in the garage swilling cheap rot-gut (probably Wisconsin) beer and pretend to be six-pack samurai or somethin'. :laugh:

totally kiddin' around :P
    Are you talking about the logo you guys stole from the U of Georgia because you couldn't put 2 guys packing fudge on an NFL helmet?

You could alway just put a picture of Rodgers on there now since it is essentially the same thing minus the ass hair.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

All homerism aside I like the Bengals helmets the best.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1097819
    All homerism aside I like the Bengals helmets the best.
    I would agree that it is very unique, recognizable, and cool........I also love the White SD Helmet with the Powder blue uni's.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Ah... finally something that the Vikings can be number one at!" I thought as I clicked on this thread only to find out that the Vikes are ranked number 7.

The helmets are one of the coolest things about the Vikings. Forget about the argument "Vikings didn't wear horns"! So what if it's a myth? I think it's cool that it even became a myth. Besides, other teams are based solely on myths, like for example the Titans.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Old school chargers are nice.
    We're bringing purple back.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Actually these are boss too

We're bringing purple back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast