Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Rank our defense.

If they remain healthy (Birk?), where do you think our defense could be ranked at the end of the season?

Who could be our defensive star?

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rank our defense.

"so-cal vike" wrote:
    If they remain healthy (Birk?), where do you think our defense could be ranked at the end of the season?

With good coaching and smart playing, we could be in the top 5...a lot will depend on how well they come together as a unit. (P.S. Birk is on the offense.)
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Swamination is offline Rookie

"so-cal vike" wrote:

Birk is our center homie. I see our defense so stacked that we must be atleast top 10. My only worry is everyone working together. But I believe everyone will be on the same page and things will be great.

Poorly written question. I meant if the team was healthy since a troubled offense can mean problems for the D. I should've been clearer.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I'm not sure what Matt Birk has to do with the defense, but I think it'll be a top 10 defence. Depending on how they come together, and how quickly they do this, they might be top 5, but I think it's unreasonable to expect our D to be top5. After all, we were bottom 5 last year!

You have to remember though, that not all of our aquisitions will work out perfectly. Every single one of our defensive signings (except maybe Smoot) have downsides (P-Will - old, Harris - struggled in Oak, Cow - injured, slow, Sharper - injurred, struggled last year, James - injured, unproven). I'm not saying that they aren't good players or that they're bad additions - I'm as stoked as anyone about the Vikings defence. I'm just saying that there's no way all of them are gonna work out. Personally, I'd be happy if 3 of those guys ^^^ made the transition to Purple and Gold.

Overall though, MUCH improved defence that should be top 10 or else Cottrell should be fired.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

I was the one who ranked them at 11, trying not to be too optimistic, but they have the potential to be top 5 easily.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I will say top 10. Coupled with Pep and our Offense, a top 10 D can get us far, vary far!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think 7 seems about right. The talent is top 3 or 5, no doubt, but I think alot of the personnel being new will present somewhat of a challenge, so 6-10 is a good range.

I think that we'll be Top 10 by the end of the year...but I also think that we're going to struggle for the first half of the season as guys get used to playing and communicating with new teammates.

Banana_Fish is offline Training Camp

Much as I would like to say we would be a top 5 defense.. I really dont see how! True we have a really good pass rush.. assuming the D-Line can stay healthy and we have arguable one of the top cornerback tandems. But our linebacking corp is mediocre at best.

That said.. Ive always beieved that one of the reasons we have such a poor statistical defense is because of the offense!! We score so fast and score so often that the opposition offense gets quite a few chances and pretty much has to go for it. Also our defense stays so much on the field that probably they are always trying to catch a breath!! Now with a offense that has lost the ability to score one-play touchdowns.. things should be more balanced and that should automatically give the defense some respite!

I expect us to have a top 10 offense and a 10-15 defense. And i do think our O/D will get better along the season.. as everyone starts to gell! We shouldnt have muh difficulty making the playoffs with the state our division is in... so should be a fun season!

Also.. Hi all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast