thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Random stats and thoughts

-The vikings have held their first 3 opponents to under 20 ponts each for the first time since 1990
    Under mike tice the vikings were 0-21 when scoring under 20 points,Under brad childress they are 2-1 when scoring less than 20.
    -In three games chster taylor leads the league with 75 carries
    -The viking have gone 133 straight games with a pass over 20 yards

Here are my random thoughts
    -I think antoine winfield is making a case to go to his first probowl against the bears he had 10 tackles and a pick for a TD
    -Referees have lost their mind..They made a lot of bogus calls highlighted by t-will pass interference.
    -Keneche udeze was playing like a beast on the play where grossman threw the pick for a touchdown he broke through 3 offensive linemen and almost sacked grossman for the safety.
    -Pat williams continues to dominate olin kruetz highlighted by his almost sack of grossman where olin forgot that pat existed and just let him run straight at rex,and also by pats awesome closeline on thomas jones.
    -Chester taylor continues to produce against quality defenses chugging for another 70 yards against what is possibly the best defens ein the land,Also he didnt actually fumble because he never had the ball,tommie harris got in there on the exchange so it never had a chance that was not chesters fault it was the guard artis hicks.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Random stats and thoughts

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    -The vikings have held their first 3 opponents to under 20 ponts each for the first time since 1990
    Under mike tice the vikings were 0-21 when scoring under 20 points,Under brad childress they are 2-1 when scoring less than 20.

-I think antoine winfield is making a case to go to his first probowl against the bears he had 10 tackles and a pick for a TD
    -Referees have lost their mind..They made a lot of bogus calls highlighted by t-will pass interference.
    -Keneche udeze was playing like a beast on the play where grossman threw the pick for a touchdown he broke through 3 offensive linemen and almost sacked grossman for the safety.
    -Pat williams continues to dominate olin kruetz highlighted by his almost sack of grossman where olin forgot that pat existed and just let him run straight at rex,and also by pats awesome closeline on thomas jones.
    -Chester taylor continues to produce against quality defenses chugging for another 70 yards against what is possibly the best defens ein the land,Also he didnt actually fumble because he never had the ball,tommie harris got in there on the exchange so it never had a chance that was not chesters fault it was the guard artis hicks.
    ~ I think Winfield has a ways to go. Giving up big third downs, getting his ankles broken by Jones. He did have a pick for a TD he needs to improve to make the probowl imo.

~ Refs were calling alot of flags. Both ways.

~Udeze played well so did Scott, which is impressive considering Udeze was moved back to right and Scott filled in on the left.

~ Pat Williams has been really quite, this was his first solid game, I hope it is the first of many.

~Taylor is good, I am waiting for him to get hurt. I expect him to fumble when he touches the ball 30+ times a game it is a matter of odds.

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

very good on the stats and all are right..the calls were bogus and since they called grounding on brad they should of also called it on rex, i know of one if not two times he did that to avoid the sack..and pat was awesome, loved the clothes line he did on jones..we are getting better each week and next time we meet the bears will be a different story and ending
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

"Del" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:

~ I think Winfield has a ways to go. Giving up big third downs, getting his ankles broken by Jones. He did have a pick for a TD he needs to improve to make the probowl imo.

~Udeze played well so did Scott, which is impressive considering Udeze was moved back to right and Scott filled in on the left.

~ Pat Williams has been really quite, this was his first solid game, I hope it is the first of many.

~Taylor is good, I am waiting for him to get hurt. I expect him to fumble when he touches the ball 30+ times a game it is a matter of odds.
    Winfield is the best tackler on our team and make the tackle 95 percent of the time!We can cut him some slack for missing one tackle!Plus that was just a great juke by jones.
    And i dont think chester will fumble this year a lot we played three ball hawk defenses and he only fumbled once (and that was because someone got a hand on the handoff)

Del Rio Guest

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:

Winfield is the best tackler on our team and make the tackle 95 percent of the time!We can cut him some slack for missing one tackle!Plus that was just a great juke by jones.
    And i dont think chester will fumble this year a lot we played three ball hawk defenses and he only fumbled once (and that was because someone got a hand on the handoff)
    Unfortunately being a good tackler is not going to get a CB into the Pro-bowl. Most teams if your team is doing what it should your LB's should lead the team in tackles. Pro-Bowl corners are the guys that get their hands on the balls, AW has never been that guy.

He has a ways to go if he wants to see the pro-bowl

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

chester will be fine, they're using our backups a little bit more than before to give him a rest, he's averaging 25 carries a game right now which is about where we should keep him

-note- he is also the #5 over all in rushing yards as of now

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

it wasnt just winfield, all the bears recievers were wide open most of the game, if it wasnt for our defense putting pressure in rex it would not have been that closeof a game, we need to get the secondary to do alot better job at their job and that is to cover and try to get turnovers..
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Del" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:

Unfortunately being a good tackler is not going to get a CB into the Pro-bowl. Most teams if your team is doing what it should your LB's should lead the team in tackles. Pro-Bowl corners are the guys that get their hands on the balls, AW has never been that guy.

He has a ways to go if he wants to see the pro-bowl
    Ditto Del.

Why in the world would you give a CB Pro Bowl honors for tackling ability?
    Look at the CB's who make the Pro Bowl; they are above average CB's.
    A CB's primary job is not to tackle.
    His primary job is to defend against the pass.
    His secondary job is to tackle.
    Players make Pro Bowls by doing their assigned job.

Also, did you ever think that a lot of the tackles were because he did not defend the player well enough and they came down with the ball right in front of his setting up an easy tackle?
    Fox showed a replay of a ball caught right in front of AW and hais Charmin coverage of ( I do not remember who is was) and then he made the tackle.
    How about this next time.
    Get up on the line, bust the WR in the mouth, then cover him like flies on donkey crap?
    Then, and only then, may you have a chance to earn a Pro Bowl.

AW is an average (at best) cover corner.
    He was the same way at THE OSU and in Buffalo.
    Why do you think the Bills kept Springs?

And please, turn off the "independant thought alarm", it's very painful.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

no matter what, i love AW, mainly because of his love for the game

watch him on a big hit, HUGE smile, see him when he almost picks off a ball and really thinks that was his shot to take it? shakes his head with a huge smile on his face.

last year he was the one to call out our coaching staff, he's clearly a veteran leader, many sports casters hail him as a top defender in the league (be it as it may, because of his tackleing skills =(
    ), but you're right, he does need to work on his cover skills before he has hopes for a pro-bowl

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

Is it just me or does this cover 2 have the CBs playing at least 5yds off? The middle of the field was wide open, and this is where they seemed to make their big plays. I'm not sure if it's all the CBs fault. The LBs and the safeties also need to step into the zone. The passes only were completed when the blitzes were picked up (or it seemed that way to me).
    There's nothing the secondary can do if the blitz is picked, too many guys to cover without the QB being pressured. Just my two cents.