Rams 41, Vikings 21- Childress not among changes

Posted on Mon, Jan. 01, 2007

[size=13pt]Wilf: Childress not among changes[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

RAMS 41, VIKINGS 21

Wake up, Vikings fans.

Mercifully, your team's season is over.

The St. Louis Rams, who were purged from postseason play Saturday night by the New York Giants, punctuated the Vikings' woeful season with a 41-21 blowout in front of an announced sellout crowd of 63,557 fans.

If you missed the game, you're not alone; so apparently did some of the Vikings. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kevin Williams suggested some defensive teammates were "already halfway out the door" before the game started.

Even so, they were behind the offense, which, based on their production, might have left the building weeks ago, and loyal — and apparently masochistic — fans started to file out of the Metrodome by the hundreds at the start of the fourth quarter Sunday.

"I would have got up and left, too," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "Did you see our performance? I mean, we weren't really doing much. They spent their hard-earned money to support us, and we didn't do anything."

And the floodgates literally, and figuratively, opened during the game. Plumbing in a women's bathroom on the east side of the stadium exploded, and water soaked the concourse and leaked into the press box.

In their seats, fans booed their home team for being boring and not being bold, and for bungling opportunities with more drops and more penalties.

As he left the stadium, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said change is in the offing. But not at the top of his Triangle.

Wilf said Childress "absolutely" would be back, and he insisted the Vikings are headed in the right direction, even though they finished with a 6-10 record after a 9-7 season in 2005.

"There were a lot of changes we had to make, and it's going to take time," Wilf said. "It's a long-term process, and we want to build a strong foundation."

Asked if he expected to make a lot of changes, Wilf said, "We're certainly going to add players that will improve our ballclub, absolutely.

"There's always going to be a process to improve our ballclub."

And despite the struggles, Wilf said he is not considering a significant addition to his power structure — that is, a traditional general manager — and he added that Rick Spielman, the vice president of player personnel, joined the team late in the offseason.

"It's going to take time," Wilf said. "We have to build on the draft and get better. I think we can strengthen our team by getting the right personnel."

Now comes the exciting part, Vikings fans: the offseason.

The Vikings might not have been much fun to watch on the field. But they should be off the field, in the coming months. They will pick as high as seventh or as low as ninth in the draft and have more than $23 million in salary cap space for free agency.

Childress indicated that he is comfortable with his depth at quarterback, although veteran Brad Johnson is expected to be released. But Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger likely will have to outperform another veteran for playing time next season. Among the quarterbacks expected to be available are Jeff Garcia, Damon Huard, Byron Leftwich and Jake Plummer.

Clearly, though, the Vikings need playmakers at receiver and/or tight end. Although he played in only 10 games, receiver Marcus Robinson trailed only running back Chester Taylor for touchdowns with four.

Taylor, who finished with 1,214 yards rushing, certainly would welcome help.

"I just feel if teams are going to try and stop me, and stop the run game, we should have threats on the outside, so the defense have to stay out of eight and nine in the box," Taylor said. "I'm pretty sure the coaches will make a drive this year to do that."

There could be significant changes to the roster. Childress' agent, Bob LaMonte, told the Pioneer Press on Thursday that coaches often turn over 75 percent of the roster over the course of three seasons. LaMonte pointed to Philadelphia and San Francisco, where Andy Reid and Mike Nolan, two of his clients, did just that.

Asked if that will happen in Minnesota, LaMonte said matter-of-factly, "It's just what happens.

"Let's face it."

Perhaps fans were being prescient during the third quarter Sunday, when they executed a wave for several minutes.

Bye, bye, Johnson. And farewell, perhaps, to tight ends Jim Kleinsasser and Jermaine Wiggins; receivers Travis Taylor and Troy Williamson; cornerback Fred Smoot; linebacker Napoleon Harris, and safeties Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith.

Yet regardless of who goes, the Vikings need to infuse this franchise with some talent, especially on offense.

Chester Taylor said he saw some "bad things" this season, but he said there were far more positives.

"I know everything didn't go right," he said. "But if people want to get better, just look in the mirror and look at the film, and see what you need to work on."

Pro Bowl center Matt Birk has been with the Vikings since 1998, when the team boasted one of the NFL's all-time great offenses. There was hope at the beginning of this season, too, when the team started 4-2. But the Vikings lost eight of their final 10 games, and the wounds are fresh for everyone.

"You know, there's a million changes coming into this year, and we're all excited and fired up at the beginning of the year," Birk said. "Unfortunately, the transition was a little tougher than we thought. So that's just the way it is. You got to look long term.

"You got to have everybody on board believing in what you're doing," he said. "You can't win a Super Bowl if everybody's not on board and believes in the staff and the staff believes in the players and everyone believes in each other."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected] Check out his blog at www.vikingsnow.blogspot.com.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Rams 41, Vikings 21- Childress not among changes

And the floodgates literally, and figuratively, opened during the game. Plumbing in a women's bathroom on the east side of the stadium exploded, and water soaked the concourse and leaked into the press box.
    LOL.

Acumen phoned me during the game & was filling me in on this. They had more enjoyment standing in the concourse, drinking beer & watching them trying to impede the flow of the water unsuccessfully, than they did watching the game.

In some areas it was ankle deep.

Perhaps fans were being prescient during the third quarter Sunday, when they executed a wave for several minutes.
    The wave was incredible. Both the upper & lower levels were in unison & it lasted for a long time. Did anyone there count the number of times it went around?

I'm guessing around 10-12.

Never in my experiences at the dome, have I seen it last longer.

[size=13pt]Vikings lose, but do they care?[/size]

A thoroughly lackluster effort to close out a dismal 6-10 season brings up more questions about coach Brad Childress' ability to connect with his players.

Kevin Seifert: Inside the game
    Last update: January 01, 2007 – 12:28 AM

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"There were a lot of changes we had to make, and it's going to take time," Wilf said. "It's a long-term process, and we want to build a strong foundation."

Asked if he expected to make a lot of changes, Wilf said, "We're certainly going to add players that will improve our ballclub, absolutely.
    IMHO this is an indication of a pretty aggressive offseason.

The women's bathroom is funny.
    Why do we need a new stadium again? lol ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Posted on Mon, Jan. 01, 2007

[size=13pt]Defense gets run over[/size]

Kevin Williams: 'Some guys weren't ready to play'

BY DON SEEHOLZER

Pioneer Press

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    LOL.

Acumen phoned me during the game & was filling me in on this. They had more enjoyment standing in the concourse, drinking beer & watching them trying to impede the flow of the water unsuccessfully, than they did watching the game.

In some areas it was ankle deep.
    That was RIGHT behind my section of seats. Eventually they just blocked it off for the end of the game and made everyone from about 5 sections go through 2 doors. It was entertaining watching them try to clean it up.

"singersp" wrote:
    The wave was incredible. Both the upper & lower levels were in unison & it lasted for a long time. Did anyone there count the number of times it went around?

I'm guessing around 10-12.

Never in my experiences at the dome, have I seen it last longer.
    That wave was amazing. I expected it to die after one or two times around, but it just kept going! Even through a few plays on the field...that was just fun. Most fun Vikes fans had all day I think.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

"I would have got up and left, too," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said. "Did you see our performance? I mean, we weren't really doing much. They spent their hard-earned money to support us, and we didn't do anything."
    MAD respect for Winfield!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

so the rumours were true... WBL & BIA were overdoing the beer before the game then
    ;D
    Just how many bottles did they manage between them .... lol
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...